DPChallenge: A Digital Photography Contest You are not logged in. (log in or register
 

Threads will be shown in descending order for the remainder of this session. To permanently display posts in this order, adjust your preferences.
DPChallenge Forums >> Hardware and Software >> Possible D850 purchase soon
Pages:  
Showing posts 1 - 25 of 35, descending (reverse)
AuthorThread
01/16/2018 04:34:53 PM · #1
Originally posted by kirbic:

Originally posted by mbrutus2009:

After I ordered the D850 on December 19th I have officially been notified that my order has shipped and will be in tomorrow.

EEK!!! I can't wait!!! As soon as I get it in my hands I'll change my white shirt out for a blue one again. ;)


Gawd, ya gotta love that anticipation of the arrival of a new techie toy, LOL! Downside is, you're gonna notice things about lens performance that may make you reach for your wallet... again.


Sadly I'm aware of this fact... BUT... Tax return season is coming up. ;)
01/16/2018 03:45:13 PM · #2
Originally posted by mbrutus2009:

After I ordered the D850 on December 19th I have officially been notified that my order has shipped and will be in tomorrow.

EEK!!! I can't wait!!! As soon as I get it in my hands I'll change my white shirt out for a blue one again. ;)


Gawd, ya gotta love that anticipation of the arrival of a new techie toy, LOL! Downside is, you're gonna notice things about lens performance that may make you reach for your wallet... again.
01/16/2018 01:29:23 PM · #3
After I ordered the D850 on December 19th I have officially been notified that my order has shipped and will be in tomorrow.

EEK!!! I can't wait!!! As soon as I get it in my hands I'll change my white shirt out for a blue one again. ;)
12/12/2017 12:04:44 PM · #4
Originally posted by tate:

I did see on black Friday many were getting NIkons with free battery packs. Not sure if that deal can be found anywhere now Ö


I saw this too but if I recall it wasn't for the D850.

I'll take a look into this though. Maybe I can get a good deal on this.
12/12/2017 11:35:35 AM · #5
B&H charges no tax and has free next day delivery according to their web site.
I did see on black Friday many were getting NIkons with free battery packs. Not sure if that deal can be found anywhere now Ö
12/12/2017 10:29:22 AM · #6
I take back the being an adult thing...

I'm buying it. VERY soon so that I can make sure I have it before Iceland...

WHERE should I get it??? I don't want to not get it before the trip in March.
12/06/2017 12:01:57 PM · #7
THere is something to be said for utilizing what you have. When I traveled overseas the first time, my D70 was more than enough! ;) THis past time, the D300 was enough and still gave me the res and quality I needed to make canvas prints. And the nice thing about using your old standby is that you KNOW all about it. Maybe it will even give you a little more comfort to enjoy the moment rather than worrying about dropping a new body or rented lens =D

ETA: If you don't have a super wide DX lens, something like this might be just what you need.

Message edited by author 2017-12-06 14:06:16.
12/06/2017 11:52:52 AM · #8
Originally posted by mbrutus2009:

...Gotta try and be a responsible adult... Lol.


Well that sucks! ;-)
12/06/2017 11:09:55 AM · #9
Originally posted by kirbic:

Hey, how about renting the body for the trip? Might be an option.


Thought about that... But that will only make me want to buy it when I get back and I won't be able to afford it then and I'll ramp my credit card way too high and pay for it in the end...

Gotta try and be a responsible adult... Lol.
12/06/2017 11:04:36 AM · #10
Hey, how about renting the body for the trip? Might be an option.
12/06/2017 10:32:48 AM · #11
Extremely sad about this but priorities are a thing and I am starting to lean towards not getting the camera. YET... I will eventually get a new camera (probably the D850) but for now I think I am going to pass it up. There's a lot more cost to this trip and originally anticipated. Cost of everything there is near triple what it is in the states. And I don't think we would enjoy living on chips and sandwiches in the back of a car while we are there.

That said, I still want this camera. So I would like to eventually bring this thread back up and continue the discussions about it. Thanks to everyone who suggested things and brought up some crucial info about full frame.
12/06/2017 12:28:42 AM · #12
I was in Sammys Pasadena last week. They do not expect inventory on the D850 until January at the earliest.
11/30/2017 03:29:34 PM · #13
Originally posted by Snake:

When I talked to B&H earlier this week they told me they have no idea when they would get the 850 in. I called Adorama and they took my order over the phone and said it should ship by mid December. The guy at Adorama told me they are getting about 2 shipments of 300 of them each week. I was tempted to switch over to the new Sony Alpha a7Rlll but the only thing holding me back is all I have is Nikon FX lenses. If I were going to buy a new camera and didnít have the glass I would definitely buy the Sony.


Because my trip is in March... If I decide to purchase this, when should that happen to make sure that I get it in time?
11/30/2017 02:13:30 PM · #14
Originally posted by mbrutus2009:

Originally posted by kirbic:


One thing though, 24mm on FF is really not incredibly wide.


For generic landscapes, would my 50mm be fine?

According to this table it would give you a field of view of about 40° (26° on the DX camera).

Some other good-looking resources in these search results ...

Sorry, I first posted the values for the 24mm lens -- updated to show the (constrained) view angles of the 50mm ...

For reasonable landscapes with the 50mm you should probably count on stitching several images (can be done easily for free) -- it's thin usually better to shoot in portrait orientation to get more height. Some programs will also stitch in the vertical dimension so you can take more than one horizontal series and merge them all.

Message edited by author 2017-11-30 15:40:43.
11/30/2017 11:57:03 AM · #15
Originally posted by kirbic:


One thing though, 24mm on FF is really not incredibly wide.


For generic landscapes, would my 50mm be fine?
11/30/2017 11:51:42 AM · #16
Originally posted by Snake:

When I talked to B&H earlier this week they told me they have no idea when they would get the 850 in. I called Adorama and they took my order over the phone and said it should ship by mid December. The guy at Adorama told me they are getting about 2 shipments of 300 of them each week. I was tempted to switch over to the new Sony Alpha a7Rlll but the only thing holding me back is all I have is Nikon FX lenses. If I were going to buy a new camera and didnít have the glass I would definitely buy the Sony.


I thought about the Sony... I guess I can look into it.. Something doesn't sit right with me to change over though. Maybe I'm just scared of change... Lol.
11/29/2017 10:41:29 PM · #17
When I talked to B&H earlier this week they told me they have no idea when they would get the 850 in. I called Adorama and they took my order over the phone and said it should ship by mid December. The guy at Adorama told me they are getting about 2 shipments of 300 of them each week. I was tempted to switch over to the new Sony Alpha a7Rlll but the only thing holding me back is all I have is Nikon FX lenses. If I were going to buy a new camera and didnít have the glass I would definitely buy the Sony.
11/29/2017 01:54:32 PM · #18
Originally posted by Kroburg:

Maybe go the way I do: as my standard lens I have the 24-120mm f/4. You can buy these for a good price as used lenses and I love the quality of the lens. And as a wide lens the Samyang 14 mm. Not very expensive, but good quality (only manual focussing). Or indeed the Tokina 12-24mm.


Look a KEH.com...excellent company!!! Iíve bought a couple lens from them...couldnít be happier

Look for Excellent or Excellent +
11/29/2017 01:35:57 PM · #19
Maybe go the way I do: as my standard lens I have the 24-120mm f/4. You can buy these for a good price as used lenses and I love the quality of the lens. And as a wide lens the Samyang 14 mm. Not very expensive, but good quality (only manual focussing). Or indeed the Tokina 12-24mm.
11/29/2017 01:29:23 PM · #20
14-24 Nikkor?

Originally posted by mbrutus2009:



Suggestions on something wider?


Message edited by author 2017-11-29 13:29:41.
11/29/2017 01:18:13 PM · #21
Originally posted by kirbic:

Originally posted by mbrutus2009:

Originally posted by salmiakki:


Yes, pretty much a 24-70 and you'd be in good shape.


I mean, I don't see why I can't rent this lens... Then purchase later when I finally pay off this trip. Lol.


Absolutely.
One thing though, 24mm on FF is really not incredibly wide. I know if I were shooting in Iceland with a 24mm lens, I'd be stitching some panos. Not that that's a bad thing ;-)


Suggestions on something wider?
11/29/2017 01:13:32 PM · #22
Originally posted by mbrutus2009:

Originally posted by salmiakki:


Yes, pretty much a 24-70 and you'd be in good shape.


I mean, I don't see why I can't rent this lens... Then purchase later when I finally pay off this trip. Lol.


Absolutely.
One thing though, 24mm on FF is really not incredibly wide. I know if I were shooting in Iceland with a 24mm lens, I'd be stitching some panos. Not that that's a bad thing ;-)
11/29/2017 01:08:47 PM · #23
Originally posted by salmiakki:

Originally posted by Ja-9:

My vote is a 12-24 Tokina...love my landscape and it works totally different from any of your lens!!!

But that's a DX lens and does not work with FF camera. I agree it's awesome but had to sell it when I went FF


I meant if he stayed with a crop sensor....
11/29/2017 01:04:34 PM · #24
Originally posted by Ja-9:

My vote is a 12-24 Tokina...love my landscape and it works totally different from any of your lens!!!

But that's a DX lens and does not work with FF camera. I agree it's awesome but had to sell it when I went FF
11/29/2017 12:32:53 PM · #25
Originally posted by salmiakki:


Yes, pretty much a 24-70 and you'd be in good shape.


I mean, I don't see why I can't rent this lens... Then purchase later when I finally pay off this trip. Lol.
Pages:  
Current Server Time: 01/22/2018 09:27:12 PM

Please log in or register to post to the forums.


Home - Challenges - Community - League - Photos - Cameras - Lenses - Learn - Prints! - Help - Terms of Use - Privacy - Top ^
DPChallenge, and website content and design, Copyright © 2001-2018 Challenging Technologies, LLC.
All digital photo copyrights belong to the photographers and may not be used without permission.
Proudly hosted by Sargasso Networks. Current Server Time: 01/22/2018 09:27:12 PM EST.