DPChallenge: A Digital Photography Contest You are not logged in. (log in or register
 

DPChallenge Forums >> Current Challenge >> Current challenge topic bitch and moan thread
Pages:   ... ...
Showing posts 251 - 275 of 540, (reverse)
AuthorThread
12/10/2014 12:36:37 AM · #251
ummmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I am not sure of what is going on with these challenges, but wow, (not in the good way) ... have fun everyone, I will be working on my next free study :0))

12/10/2014 07:49:02 AM · #252
It's right up my alley (although I'm going to have to step up my game and shoot something new for the light source one).

If anyone has questions about light painting (seems like a good fit for the challenge) I'd be happy to help with the few things I've learned so far at least.
12/10/2014 08:38:43 AM · #253
Originally posted by Neat:

No one even suggested the current one.

Someone suggested it at some time.

And personally, I think it is actually a bad idea to post challenges which have been recently suggested and discussed, as that gives a possibly unfair advantage to those who have been reading the thread and already thinking about the topic. Obviously, this doesn't work for some time-related (e.g. holiday) challenges, but people could also be making their suggestions farther ahead ...
12/10/2014 08:45:06 AM · #254
Originally posted by GeneralE:

Originally posted by Neat:

No one even suggested the current one.

Someone suggested it at some time.

And personally, I think it is actually a bad idea to post challenges which have been recently suggested and discussed, as that gives a possibly unfair advantage to those who have been reading the thread and already thinking about the topic. Obviously, this doesn't work for some time-related (e.g. holiday) challenges, but people could also be making their suggestions farther ahead ...

Okay, I'm officially creating a Canada Day thread for 2015 now.
PERHAPS since it's still 2014, that will give 1.gif Langdon enough heads-up time to know it's coming. ;p
12/29/2014 06:06:23 AM · #255
Lint on the heels of Bubble Gum. (pun intended) I resent these challenges and consider them insults. How about presenting some challenges that motivate and inspire photography of our beautiful and interesting world? What's next? Landfills and sewage treatment plants?
12/29/2014 06:22:28 AM · #256
its a challenge
12/29/2014 06:22:54 AM · #257
site
12/29/2014 06:39:47 AM · #258
Originally posted by hahn23:

Lint on the heels of Bubble Gum. (pun intended) I resent these challenges and consider them insults. How about presenting some challenges that motivate and inspire photography of our beautiful and interesting world? What's next? Landfills and sewage treatment plants?

Can't disagree with you there Richard. And we wonder why people have stopped participating.
12/29/2014 07:00:27 AM · #259
I can't muster up much enthusiasm for bubble gum or lint but I think I'd probably prefer landfills or sewage plants over more waterfalls/lakes/mountains etc.
12/29/2014 07:22:59 AM · #260
This is what makes the site interesting.Every other shallow and hollow photography website out there has tons of mainstream/pop photography challenges. There is more to life and photography then pretty landscapes. Do some navel-gazing for a change.
12/29/2014 07:36:00 AM · #261
Originally posted by blindjustice:

This is what makes the site interesting.Every other shallow and hollow photography website out there has tons of mainstream/pop photography challenges. There is more to life and photography then pretty landscapes. Do some navel-gazing for a change.

This isn't about me and my photography. I'll photograph what I want to photograph. It's none of your business. But, as a member who has been here a while, I think there should be a variety of challenges that encourage participation and expand our range of skills. If you're going to photograph lint, then make it an Extreme Editing challenge. On to the next challenge.
12/29/2014 07:49:11 AM · #262
they gave you peter lik at the worst possible time of year for many of us, what else do you want?
12/29/2014 07:59:28 AM · #263
Originally posted by Mike:

they gave you peter lik at the worst possible time of year for many of us, what else do you want?

No one gave me anything. The Peter Lik challenge entries were from all over the world. And, they were very good, even if it was challenging for "many of us".

I want challenge topics that inspire, motivate and encourage photography. Topics that require effort, exertion, imagination and creativity are what causes me to pick up my gear, leave the cabin and search for an interesting subject. Is that too much to ask?

The magic of DPC can be the serendipity discovered when on a DPC task.
12/29/2014 08:09:03 AM · #264
Originally posted by hahn23:



I want challenge topics that inspire, motivate and encourage photography. Topics that require effort, exertion, imagination and creativity are what causes me to pick up my gear, leave the cabin and search for an interesting subject. Is that too much to ask?

The magic of DPC can be the serendipity discovered when on a DPC task.


i could argue that all challenge topics, do this. provided they are a topic (and not along the lines "create a painting") just because they dont inspire you dont mean they don't inspire others.
12/29/2014 09:39:06 AM · #265
Lint is actually beautiful stuff if you light it right :-)
12/29/2014 09:51:47 AM · #266
Originally posted by Bear_Music:

Lint is actually beautiful stuff if you light it right :-)

Did you mean ignite or illuminate?
12/29/2014 10:03:33 AM · #267
Does dandruff count as lint? All in all this is truly the dumbest challenge ever.
12/29/2014 12:29:15 PM · #268
Chevy Chase: Weekend Update recognizes its obligation to present responsible opposing viewpoints to our editorials. Here to reply to a recent editorial, is Emily Litella.

Emily Litella: Why all this outcry against Lindt? You know, I just love Lindt! I've loved it ever since I was a child. It is so rich and creamy, and when my daddy used to give me some Lindt it always made me happy and nice. You know just the other day I was saying to my good friend Ms. Lipinsky ... she lives in the old Jacobs building down on 111th street ... I said, "You know Ms. Lipinsky, I think every person in New York City should eat a little Lindt every day, just to make them a little bit nicer to each other. This city sure could use more people being nice to each other every day, and I think that eating Lindt would really help." Maybe the mayor needs to see if he can set up a program to distribute Lindt to everybody in the city every day to ....

Chevy Chase: Emily... Emily...

Emily Litella: Yes... what...

Chevy Chase: That's lint, as in the stuff that collects in your belly button, not Lindt, the Swiss chocolate.

Emily Litella: Oh...Nevemind.
12/29/2014 12:34:53 PM · #269
I suspect none of you guys do the laundry. Or if you do, you don't clean the LINT FILTER.
12/29/2014 12:35:23 PM · #270
Originally posted by hahn23:

Originally posted by Bear_Music:

Lint is actually beautiful stuff if you light it right :-)

Did you mean ignite or illuminate?

It DOES burn rather nicely, but you gotta be swift on the shutter button :-)

Seriously, it IS what it IS. No point bemoaning it. Challenges like this are part of what makes DPC CHALLENGING! I challenge YOU, Richard! Get some lint from a dryer's lint trap and DO something with it. If your score beats mine, I'll send you something Cape Coddish: you do the same with something Rockyish if I "win"... OK?
12/29/2014 12:42:27 PM · #271
Originally posted by Bear_Music:

Originally posted by hahn23:

Originally posted by Bear_Music:

Lint is actually beautiful stuff if you light it right :-)

Did you mean ignite or illuminate?

It DOES burn rather nicely, but you gotta be swift on the shutter button :-)

Seriously, it IS what it IS. No point bemoaning it. Challenges like this are part of what makes DPC CHALLENGING! I challenge YOU, Richard! Get some lint from a dryer's lint trap and DO something with it. If your score beats mine, I'll send you something Cape Coddish: you do the same with something Rockyish if I "win"... OK?

Sure, OK. I enter almost every challenge, anyway. Some topics are more mundane than others.
12/29/2014 12:56:52 PM · #272
Originally posted by mefnj:

Chevy Chase: Weekend Update recognizes its obligation to present responsible opposing viewpoints to our editorials. Here to reply to a recent editorial, is Emily Litella.

Emily Litella: Why all this outcry against Lindt? You know, I just love Lindt! I've loved it ever since I was a child. It is so rich and creamy, and when my daddy used to give me some Lindt it always made me happy and nice. You know just the other day I was saying to my good friend Ms. Lipinsky ... she lives in the old Jacobs building down on 111th street ... I said, "You know Ms. Lipinsky, I think every person in New York City should eat a little Lindt every day, just to make them a little bit nicer to each other. This city sure could use more people being nice to each other every day, and I think that eating Lindt would really help." Maybe the mayor needs to see if he can set up a program to distribute Lindt to everybody in the city every day to ....

Chevy Chase: Emily... Emily...

Emily Litella: Yes... what...

Chevy Chase: That's lint, as in the stuff that collects in your belly button, not Lindt, the Swiss chocolate.

Emily Litella: Oh...Nevemind.

Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_92646.jpg
12/29/2014 01:06:07 PM · #273
Hey, Richard, I have a question for you. You are really good at what you do. So, what would challenge you now? What kind of challenge at a photo-competition website such as this one would be more alluring than any challenge you could set for yourself? Do you think there's any value for you or anyone to step outside a well-known comfort zone & do some cross-training? Or is it a waste of time? Instead of creating breathtaking scenic landscapes that show the scenery at its idealized best, what if the challenge was to capture the wilderness & make it look "lonely, dark, & deep"?
12/29/2014 01:29:31 PM · #274
Originally posted by pixelpig:

Hey, Richard, I have a question for you. You are really good at what you do. So, what would challenge you now? What kind of challenge at a photo-competition website such as this one would be more alluring than any challenge you could set for yourself? Do you think there's any value for you or anyone to step outside a well-known comfort zone & do some cross-training? Or is it a waste of time? Instead of creating breathtaking scenic landscapes that show the scenery at its idealized best, what if the challenge was to capture the wilderness & make it look "lonely, dark, & deep"?

I participate in almost every challenge. The two most recent challenges (candid portrait and play) have been entered. I think I learned a lot about photographing people, but it's way out of my comfort zone. But, I am trying to become more proficient. As far as making the wilderness "lonely, dark and deep", I politely decline. My style is realism and documentation. I am fully employed making images of the real world.
12/29/2014 02:32:04 PM · #275
There must have been some subliminal reason I didn't throw away the dryer lint the last two times I emptied it.

Can't be laziness, right?
Pages:   ... ...
Current Server Time: 06/20/2018 06:16:25 AM

Please log in or register to post to the forums.


Home - Challenges - Community - League - Photos - Cameras - Lenses - Learn - Prints! - Help - Terms of Use - Privacy - Top ^
DPChallenge, and website content and design, Copyright © 2001-2018 Challenging Technologies, LLC.
All digital photo copyrights belong to the photographers and may not be used without permission.
Proudly hosted by Sargasso Networks. Current Server Time: 06/20/2018 06:16:25 AM EDT.