DPChallenge: A Digital Photography Contest You are not logged in. (log in or register
 

DPChallenge Forums >> Photography Discussion >> Shooting on Train Tracks Illegal.
Pages:  
Showing posts 1 - 25 of 36, (reverse)
AuthorThread
09/27/2014 11:05:19 AM · #1
shooting on tracks
03/16/2017 01:32:23 PM · #2
I'm waking up this old thread to post this recent news article.

Texas woman killed in train track photo shoot.
03/16/2017 04:34:38 PM · #3
You can get plenty of great train and track shots while being legal...

Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_1032929.jpg     Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_1031475.jpg     Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_781332.jpg     Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_1195284.jpg     Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_1068538.jpg


Every one, and hundreds of others without trespassing or endangering anyone.
03/16/2017 04:51:12 PM · #4
Originally posted by NikonJeb:

Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_1031475.jpg
Every one, and hundreds of others without trespassing or endangering anyone.

Not according to the article. But hey, I won't turn you in. ;-)
03/16/2017 04:55:55 PM · #5
Originally posted by Art Roflmao:

Originally posted by NikonJeb:

Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_1031475.jpg
Every one, and hundreds of others without trespassing or endangering anyone.

Not according to the article. But hey, I won't turn you in. ;-)


Maybe it was a drone carrying his DSLR :)
03/16/2017 05:43:48 PM · #6
Originally posted by NikonJeb:

Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_1031475.jpg
Every one, and hundreds of others without trespassing or endangering anyone.

Originally posted by Art Roflmao:

Not according to the article. But hey, I won't turn you in. ;-)

A railroad crossing on a country road.....no gate, lights, just a sign stating to be careful of trains. The quintessential "Stop, look & listen" rural railroad crossing.
03/16/2017 05:46:35 PM · #7
It IS true that the Railroads own the right-of-way, and anytime you are standing on their tracks, not in their rolling stock, you are trespassing. For whatever that's worth...
03/16/2017 06:12:06 PM · #8
Nothing legal is ever worth doing anyway. :P
03/16/2017 06:53:36 PM · #9
Originally posted by Bear_Music:

It IS true that the Railroads own the right-of-way, and anytime you are standing on their tracks, not in their rolling stock, you are trespassing. For whatever that's worth...

Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_1188175.jpg
03/16/2017 07:15:49 PM · #10
Very nice photos of tracks. My husband and I just got back from our first train trip and I'm ready to go again. We had a wonderful time and we're able to get some fairly decent photos of our travels. I took a snapshot of a lady train conductor and she wasn't very happy so I won't post her frowning face on here. Smiling.
03/16/2017 07:20:53 PM · #11
Originally posted by Cyrilda:

I took a snapshot of a lady train conductor and she wasn't very happy so I won't post her frowning face on here. Smiling.

Gee, mine was much happier, and even ordered some prints! Trains are a great way to travel -- it's too bad we've let our system degrade so much ... :-(
Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_1105974.jpg
03/16/2017 07:49:30 PM · #12
Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_1197038.jpg

Message edited by author 2017-03-16 20:59:25.
03/16/2017 09:06:14 PM · #13
Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_1173096.jpg

Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_1168989.jpg

Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_1182715.jpg

Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_1188541.jpg

Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_1126581.jpg

Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_1105942.jpg

Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_1129587.jpg

Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_1166324.jpg

Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_1129599.jpg

Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_1129593.jpg

Message edited by author 2017-03-16 21:06:37.
03/17/2017 12:35:04 AM · #14
Originally posted by GeorgesBogaert:

*10 counts of felony trespassing evidence*

[insert Miranda warning here]
03/17/2017 06:44:08 AM · #15
See this

Woman killed by train during photo shoot
03/17/2017 12:46:27 PM · #16
I am 61 years old and have been around trains, tracks, stations, subways, trolleys and the like my entire life.

These very large machines do *NOT* sneak up on you.

You pretty much have to take leave of a great deal of common sense to get hit by a train.

I'm sorry to hear about people getting hurt or killed to any degree, but when I hear of someone getting hit by a train, I pretty much have very little sympathy.

You *MUST* deliberately place yourself in mortal danger in order to have something happen.

There is absolutely no such thing as getting accidently hit by a train. You had to have put yourself in that position.

I will amend the accidentally getting hit by a train comment to stipulate trains normally running on the tracks. A derailment does have dire consequences to people and property that cannot be foreseen.
03/17/2017 01:48:10 PM · #17
Originally posted by NikonJeb:

You pretty much have to take leave of a great deal of common sense to get hit by a train.

I'm sorry to hear about people getting hurt or killed to any degree, but when I hear of someone getting hit by a train, I pretty much have very little sympathy.

You *MUST* deliberately place yourself in mortal danger in order to have something happen.

There is absolutely no such thing as getting accidently hit by a train. You had to have put yourself in that position.



I can only agree with this.
03/17/2017 01:48:55 PM · #18
Originally posted by NikonJeb:

I'm sorry to hear about people getting hurt or killed to any degree, but when I hear of someone getting hit by a train, I pretty much have very little sympathy...There is absolutely no such thing as getting accidently hit by a train. You had to have put yourself in that position.

Well, yeah, you had to have put yourself on the tracks, no doubt about it. You can't "accidentally" fall off a cliff either if it comes to that. But what you're saying, I'm pretty sure, is that you have to be totally zoned out and oblivious to not discern and heed the warning signs of an oncoming train. This is true. But in this case, the gal SAW the train coming, she DID move to avoid it, and she got killed by a train going the other way on the parallel track which she DIDN'T see or, apparently, hear. So it's not quite that cut-and-dried...

I do acknowledge that being on the tracks at ALL in a place where it was busy enough that trains would be going back and forth on parallel tracks is pretty lame :-( Heck, I limit MY train-track photography to overgrown, out-of-service sections of roadway, and I still get paranoid goosebumps when I do it. Of course, I'M deaf which adds a whole other dimension of risk to the equation. I drive penny crazy when I step into the middle of vehicular road to shoot a picture, even though I'm jacking my head back and forth like a nervous nutthatch the whole time :-)
03/17/2017 01:57:17 PM · #19
another train tragedy
03/17/2017 02:02:00 PM · #20
Originally posted by Skip:

another train tragedy

Whoa, that REALLY hits home :-(
03/17/2017 02:45:28 PM · #21
Originally posted by Bear_Music:

But what you're saying, I'm pretty sure, is that you have to be totally zoned out and oblivious to not discern and heed the warning signs of an oncoming train.

That is *NOT* what I'm saying. I am saying that to a certain degree, you're making a conscious choice to *IGNORE* the warning signs of an oncoming train. The damn things are just too large and noisy, and bright, with the headlight to not be seen from far away enough to get out of the way.

Originally posted by Bear_Music:

This is true. But in this case, the gal SAW the train coming, she DID move to avoid it, and she got killed by a train going the other way on the parallel track which she DIDN'T see or, apparently, hear. So it's not quite that cut-and-dried...

Um, yeah....it is cut & dried. Again.....she stepped in front of the train she moved away from, and didn't ensure that where she was going was clear. Tragic, a meaningless loss, but unfortunately, nobody's fault but her own.

Originally posted by Bear_Music:

I do acknowledge that being on the tracks at ALL in a place where it was busy enough that trains would be going back and forth on parallel tracks is pretty lame :-(

No. It was reckless, irresponsible, and inconsiderate. There is now a train driver that gets to live with being the instrument of her death for the rest of his life. It wasn't his fault. There was nothing he could do. Do you think that will enable him to sleep better?

Originally posted by Bear_Music:

Heck, I limit MY train-track photography to overgrown, out-of-service sections of roadway, and I still get paranoid goosebumps when I do it. Of course, I'M deaf which adds a whole other dimension of risk to the equation. I drive penny crazy when I step into the middle of vehicular road to shoot a picture, even though I'm jacking my head back and forth like a nervous nutthatch the whole time :-)

I love to shoot trains, tracks, stations and will continue to do so. However, I will also operate under the idea that if I f*ck up, I could die.

Novel concept, eh?
03/17/2017 05:30:17 PM · #22
My cousin's ex-husband, my niece's bff and my husband's great aunt all died on train tracks. (The last mentioned on a country line in the days of steam trains.) There is a suspicion of suicide about all of them, but that can never be known for sure.
03/17/2017 06:56:07 PM · #23
Whoa, Jeb... We're actually not in disagreement on anything. Or at least, not on anything you've posted in THIS thread :-) I'm just a tad bit more diplomatic than you... Give the lovely Viv a smooch for me, willya?

Peace, brother...
03/17/2017 08:08:47 PM · #24
but where was the photographer?
03/17/2017 10:49:05 PM · #25
Originally posted by tnun:

but where was the photographer?

On the cowcatcher of the oncoming train? (runs for shelter)
Pages:  
Current Server Time: 03/27/2017 12:17:18 PM

Please log in or register to post to the forums.


Home - Challenges - Community - League - Photos - Cameras - Lenses - Learn - Prints! - Help - Terms of Use - Privacy - Top ^
DPChallenge, and website content and design, Copyright © 2001-2017 Challenging Technologies, LLC.
All digital photo copyrights belong to the photographers and may not be used without permission.
Proudly hosted by Sargasso Networks. Current Server Time: 03/27/2017 12:17:18 PM EDT.