DPChallenge: A Digital Photography Contest You are not logged in. (log in or register
 

DPChallenge Forums >> Challenge Suggestions >> Reflections in White People
Pages:  
Showing posts 1 - 21 of 21, (reverse)
AuthorThread
08/13/2016 01:53:22 PM · #1
The low melanin of white skin makes it an object of no color, mysteriously reflecting the colors around it. Show us the scattered, regurgitated universe projected glowingly on the pale, tightly wrapped flesh screens of white people.

Standard Editing
08/13/2016 02:14:16 PM · #2
the strange uses of them
08/14/2016 02:30:57 PM · #3
showing your true colours..
08/14/2016 03:35:53 PM · #4
I need examples.
08/14/2016 06:19:19 PM · #5
I was being sarcastic, but not that sarcastic.
08/14/2016 06:27:03 PM · #6
Originally posted by posthumous:

I was being sarcastic, but not that sarcastic.

!!
08/14/2016 06:52:28 PM · #7
Originally posted by posthumous:

I was being sarcastic, but not that sarcastic.

Curiously, just yesterday I was photographing a performer in whiteface, mime-like but not a mime, and in post I noticed how strikingly parts of her face were picking up colors reflected off her costume :-)
08/14/2016 08:35:19 PM · #8
Originally posted by Bear_Music:

Originally posted by posthumous:

I was being sarcastic, but not that sarcastic.

Curiously, just yesterday I was photographing a performer in whiteface, mime-like but not a mime, and in post I noticed how strikingly parts of her face were picking up colors reflected off her costume :-)


It's actually not far off from what I learned at Art Students League about painting white nudes.
08/15/2016 09:06:16 AM · #9
Originally posted by posthumous:

I was being sarcastic, but not that sarcastic.


I was hoping you were serious.
08/15/2016 10:02:05 AM · #10
I think I really should follow the challenge suggestion threads more closely. I shot for this Saturday and now I'm pretty sure it's not at all what whoever suggested the challenge had in mind :(
08/15/2016 10:17:04 AM · #11
I hate to question one of the grammar tzars, but shouldn't it be reflections on white people? If it's off the surface, I wouldn't have thought it would be in...
08/15/2016 12:44:25 PM · #12
Originally posted by vawendy:

I hate to question one of the grammar tzars, but shouldn't it be reflections on white people? If it's off the surface, I wouldn't have thought it would be in...

Do you look at yourself "on the mirror"?
08/15/2016 02:09:38 PM · #13
Originally posted by vawendy:

I hate to question one of the grammar tzars, but shouldn't it be reflections on white people? If it's off the surface, I wouldn't have thought it would be in...


in this case, the poetry is in the grammar

it's a play on "Reflections in Water with People"

Message edited by author 2016-08-15 14:09:56.
08/15/2016 05:09:46 PM · #14
Originally posted by posthumous:

[quote=vawendy]

it's a play on "Reflections in Water with People"


I realized that part, it just made me curious...

Just like: why do the British say "he went to hospital" and we say, "he went to the hospital", yet we do say "he went to school", but then "he went to the university"...
08/15/2016 05:33:30 PM · #15
Originally posted by vawendy:

Originally posted by posthumous:

[quote=vawendy]

it's a play on "Reflections in Water with People"


I realized that part, it just made me curious...

Just like: why do the British say "he went to hospital" and we say, "he went to the hospital", yet we do say "he went to school", but then "he went to the university"...

There are innumerable such cases of regionalisms, idioms; numerous and different enough I think it becomes dialect ... for example, I've noticed that people from Ohio tend to leave out the verb "to be" and use phrases such as "the car needs fixed" ...
08/15/2016 05:54:23 PM · #16
Can we run it alongside Refractions on Black People?
08/15/2016 09:24:16 PM · #17
Originally posted by bvy:

Can we run it alongside Refractions on Black People?


It would be refractions in black people
08/16/2016 12:27:31 AM · #18
Originally posted by vawendy:

Originally posted by bvy:

Can we run it alongside Refractions on Black People?

It would be refractions in black people

Nah... Reflections are IN the reflecting surface, refractions are projected ON to another surface.
08/16/2016 08:55:23 AM · #19
Originally posted by Bear_Music:

Originally posted by vawendy:

Originally posted by bvy:

Can we run it alongside Refractions on Black People?

It would be refractions in black people

Nah... Reflections are IN the reflecting surface, refractions are projected ON to another surface.

Exactly. Thank you. I wouldn't want any confusion when these challenges are announced.
08/16/2016 10:24:47 AM · #20
Originally posted by vawendy:

why do the British say "he went to hospital" and we say, "he went to the hospital", yet we do say "he went to school", but then "he went to the university"...


We say both but with a subtle difference in their respective meanings. "He went to hospital" indicates the person was hurt and needed treatment whereas "He went to the hospital" indicates the person was not hurt but went for another reason, for example as a visitor.
08/16/2016 12:09:09 PM · #21
Originally posted by bvy:

I wouldn't want any confusion when these challenges are announced.

might refract badly on all of us.
Pages:  
Current Server Time: 11/24/2017 08:35:33 PM

Please log in or register to post to the forums.


Home - Challenges - Community - League - Photos - Cameras - Lenses - Learn - Prints! - Help - Terms of Use - Privacy - Top ^
DPChallenge, and website content and design, Copyright © 2001-2017 Challenging Technologies, LLC.
All digital photo copyrights belong to the photographers and may not be used without permission.
Proudly hosted by Sargasso Networks. Current Server Time: 11/24/2017 08:35:33 PM EST.