DPChallenge: A Digital Photography Contest You are not logged in. (log in or register
 

DPChallenge Forums >> Challenge Results >> Post-Challenge Volunteer Image Discussion
Pages:  
Showing posts 1 - 25 of 39, (reverse)
AuthorThread
11/04/2016 08:14:21 AM · #1
Opening this for the continuation of the Post-Challenge Volunteer image discussion(s).

I don't know if we should just/only comment on the image, we definitely should on the image, but I know part of what I liked was having open discussion as well as the comment when my image was up for perusal. So I mirrored the comment I left here in this thread

On with it!

I picked this image from 21.gif Dennisheckman....

Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_1189536.jpg

This image is everything that it should be to be a winner in a/the distrations themed challenge. There's a distinct focal point, yet the distracting elements serve not only as a distraction, but an enhancement. This was hands-down my pick for the blue.

The first thing that came to my mind once the perfection of this image set in was, "Damn! Why didn't *I* think of this!". I have shot similar images, and particularly like them.

Well done, Dennis, and congrats on your HM.


11/04/2016 08:50:40 AM · #2
Definitely we should get the discussions/comments out into the forums. It's way too quite here. And this is where there's more room for discussions.

The problem I had with the challenge is what is a distraction and what is part of the image. I thought a distraction was something that drew your eyes away from the point of the challenge. So when I received a comment on mine that my distraction was more of a supporting role, I saw exactly what they were saying. Because I had made a similar comment on another image.

This photo is marvelous, but the whole thing is distraction. Yes, there's kind of a main focal point, but really, the thing that works about the photo is that your eyes are everywhere. Photos that are too busy really don't usually work well. But this one works because of the busy-ness.

I thought Lydia's photo was a great distraction shot:

Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_1189338.jpg

I really don't like the choice of the editing. And since she put herself in the list, I'm really curious to go through and try it just in a duotone. I'm thinking that it would have been much more effective. Right now, the processing is a distraction (hi Lydia!! Love ya'! :)

But the people up in the corner are great. The railing through their face is awesome. This is the type of thing that I would have hated when I first started. A railing through their face? Bad distraction! Nope. Not at all! It's so perfect. I started waxing poetic on how unimportant individuals are. That who cares about the faces. It makes it so much more about what they're doing and the circumstances than about themselves. And kept thinking through things like this for awhile.

The distraction challenge is something we should have once a month. I think we need to train our brains back to the fact that photography doesn't need to be perfect. It's the imperfections that many times make a photograph, and says so much more than we could otherwise.

But to a straightforward, extremely literal person, trying to do this on each photo hurts my brain. I can't think that way. But training me slowly and carefully has given so much more appreciation and understanding. More, please!
11/04/2016 08:52:23 AM · #3
Here's another that's more distracting image than distracting element. But I also enjoyed searching it immensely.

Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_1189481.jpg
11/04/2016 08:58:29 AM · #4
Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_1189603.jpg

So what's the distracting element that you guys see? I assume it's the guy on the right. But for me, it was the pumpkins.

Even thought the guy on the right is more your typical definition of a distracting element, it didn't distract me that much. It fit in with the scene, and gave a bit of context. The funny thing was, the real distraction was those silly pumpkins. They didn't really seem to fit the feel of the scene, and I found it really difficult to take my eyes off of them.

It makes me want a "put something silly into your scene" challenge. But somehow make it fit and not fit at the same time. It fits with the colors, the placement, yet it's so wrong in such a right way.
11/04/2016 09:06:17 AM · #5
Originally posted by vawendy:

Definitely we should get the discussions/comments out into the forums. It's way too quite here. And this is where there's more room for discussions.

The problem I had with the challenge is what is a distraction and what is part of the image. I thought a distraction was something that drew your eyes away from the point of the challenge. So when I received a comment on mine that my distraction was more of a supporting role, I saw exactly what they were saying. Because I had made a similar comment on another image.

This photo is marvelous, but the whole thing is distraction. Yes, there's kind of a main focal point, but really, the thing that works about the photo is that your eyes are everywhere. Photos that are too busy really don't usually work well. But this one works because of the busy-ness.

I thought Lydia's photo was a great distraction shot:

Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_1189338.jpg

I really don't like the choice of the editing. And since she put herself in the list, I'm really curious to go through and try it just in a duotone. I'm thinking that it would have been much more effective. Right now, the processing is a distraction (hi Lydia!! Love ya'! :)

But the people up in the corner are great. The railing through their face is awesome. This is the type of thing that I would have hated when I first started. A railing through their face? Bad distraction! Nope. Not at all! It's so perfect. I started waxing poetic on how unimportant individuals are. That who cares about the faces. It makes it so much more about what they're doing and the circumstances than about themselves. And kept thinking through things like this for awhile.

The distraction challenge is something we should have once a month. I think we need to train our brains back to the fact that photography doesn't need to be perfect. It's the imperfections that many times make a photograph, and says so much more than we could otherwise.

But to a straightforward, extremely literal person, trying to do this on each photo hurts my brain. I can't think that way. But training me slowly and carefully has given so much more appreciation and understanding. More, please!


I had a similar feeling about the toning. It didn't effect my vote because I enjoyed how the cool to warm tones fell left to right. If she had flipped the toning I might not have enjoyed this image as much. On the hand railing covering the faces I thought of John Baldessari dots. Great image!
11/04/2016 09:45:49 AM · #6
Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_1189109.jpg
21_F.gif Neat

WOW! I still love looking at this.

A good photograph is one that I can come back to--for more of what attracted my eye the first time, & for new visual pleasures every next time. This lovely comp creates mystery & suspense, & tactile visual detail all combined in perfect harmony. The recognizable airplane wing anchors the comp in reality, giving my eye a departure point it can return to again & again. The tones, shapes, lines--all combined together perfectly. Good work.

And it was taken with the iPhone 5S! Even better!

The distracting element for me in this comp is the title. It's a mystery.

***

How do we suggest a Distracting Elements challenge on a regular schedule? This is the best challenge in a long time

Message edited by author 2016-11-04 09:48:40.
11/04/2016 12:15:47 PM · #7
Originally posted by NikonJeb:

Opening this for the continuation of the Post-Challenge Volunteer image discussion(s).

I don't know if we should just/only comment on the image, we definitely should on the image, but I know part of what I liked was having open discussion as well as the comment when my image was up for perusal. So I mirrored the comment I left here in this thread

On with it!

I picked this image from 21.gif Dennisheckman....

Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_1189536.jpg

This image is everything that it should be to be a winner in a/the distrations themed challenge. There's a distinct focal point, yet the distracting elements serve not only as a distraction, but an enhancement. This was hands-down my pick for the blue.

The first thing that came to my mind once the perfection of this image set in was, "Damn! Why didn't *I* think of this!". I have shot similar images, and particularly like them.

Well done, Dennis, and congrats on your HM.


Yes, congrats on the HM Dennis! I really liked this image, the thing that distracted me the most was the reflection in the window. I wanted to see exactly what was in that store window but it was a bit difficult to figure out what was in and what was out. I'm still not sure about the man above the lamp, is he in? To me, that's what makes this so wonderful.
11/04/2016 12:22:42 PM · #8
Originally posted by pixelpig:


21_F.gif Neat

WOW! I still love looking at this.


Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_1189109.jpg

I loved this! Gave you a 7. I like that the wingtip is the only distinct element.
11/04/2016 12:30:41 PM · #9
Originally posted by vawendy:

Definitely we should get the discussions/comments out into the forums. It's way too quite here. And this is where there's more room for discussions.

The problem I had with the challenge is what is a distraction and what is part of the image. I thought a distraction was something that drew your eyes away from the point of the challenge. So when I received a comment on mine that my distraction was more of a supporting role, I saw exactly what they were saying. Because I had made a similar comment on another image.

This photo is marvelous, but the whole thing is distraction. Yes, there's kind of a main focal point, but really, the thing that works about the photo is that your eyes are everywhere. Photos that are too busy really don't usually work well. But this one works because of the busy-ness.

I thought Lydia's photo was a great distraction shot:

Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_1189338.jpg

I really don't like the choice of the editing. And since she put herself in the list, I'm really curious to go through and try it just in a duotone. I'm thinking that it would have been much more effective. Right now, the processing is a distraction (hi Lydia!! Love ya'! :)

But the people up in the corner are great. The railing through their face is awesome. This is the type of thing that I would have hated when I first started. A railing through their face? Bad distraction! Nope. Not at all! It's so perfect. I started waxing poetic on how unimportant individuals are. That who cares about the faces. It makes it so much more about what they're doing and the circumstances than about themselves. And kept thinking through things like this for awhile.

The distraction challenge is something we should have once a month. I think we need to train our brains back to the fact that photography doesn't need to be perfect. It's the imperfections that many times make a photograph, and says so much more than we could otherwise.

But to a straightforward, extremely literal person, trying to do this on each photo hurts my brain. I can't think that way. But training me slowly and carefully has given so much more appreciation and understanding. More, please!


You're right Wendy, this was a great challenge and I agree we should do this more often. Many of them really make you stop and think rather than just looking for eye candy (whatever that is to each person).

As far as this image, the toning didn't bother me so much, different to be sure but I wondered if the photographer did it as attempt to make us wonder if IT was the distraction. The most obvious distraction to me was the break in the pattern of empty balconies. Honestly didn't even notice the railing through their faces (or better said, I noticed it but I guess it really didn't bother me because the pattern break seemed more important in the overall scheme of things).

Message edited by author 2016-11-04 13:41:58.
11/04/2016 12:32:15 PM · #10
Lovely that people are commenting. I'm just not understanding the purpose of this thread...? Wouldn't you want the comments on your image to appear on the image page?
11/04/2016 12:36:12 PM · #11
Originally posted by vawendy:

Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_1189603.jpg

So what's the distracting element that you guys see? I assume it's the guy on the right. But for me, it was the pumpkins.

Even thought the guy on the right is more your typical definition of a distracting element, it didn't distract me that much. It fit in with the scene, and gave a bit of context. The funny thing was, the real distraction was those silly pumpkins. They didn't really seem to fit the feel of the scene, and I found it really difficult to take my eyes off of them.

It makes me want a "put something silly into your scene" challenge. But somehow make it fit and not fit at the same time. It fits with the colors, the placement, yet it's so wrong in such a right way.


This one was so much fun. I didn't even look at the title and my thoughts were immediately that the two little scoundrels were out for a night at a hotel (their luggage now beside them on the curb) trying to hail a cab in that frenzy of activity. The guy on the right was the distraction to me - staring into the camera and taking your eyes away from the poor little guys seemingly stranded on the sidewalk. Great scene.
11/04/2016 12:57:17 PM · #12
Originally posted by tanguera:

Lovely that people are commenting. I'm just not understanding the purpose of this thread...? Wouldn't you want the comments on your image to appear on the image page?


I think it's best to post in the image and post here as well for the general discussion. That's how I will handle my commenting.
11/04/2016 01:08:41 PM · #13
Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_1189338.jpg

The distraction here for me is the balcony fence bar disrupting a clear view to their faces. It's like we are not able to ID these people because of it. I don't understand how the toning comes into play here, but it was a 7 for me. I think the intent of the distraction was the pattern of the spaces But I did not really find that too distracting. Amazing that you shot this for another challenge and it worked out better for this one.
11/04/2016 04:04:25 PM · #14
Originally posted by tanguera:

Lovely that people are commenting. I'm just not understanding the purpose of this thread...? Wouldn't you want the comments on your image to appear on the image page?


So far there seems to have been mostly praise but the purpose of the thread seems to me like an appraisal of the entire challenge and a more in depth critique of the pictures that we have more to say about without creating a problem. A lot of people do not like a critique of any kind, thus the bagheads, thus this thread.

For instance, the Yolk is on you was for me a huge disappointment. The entire topic was uninspiring for me and although I love to participate as much as I can, I could not find a single idea. I would like to make some comments but I have to be careful and look at the list of people who don't mind an after the challenge discussion.
11/04/2016 04:09:29 PM · #15
Originally posted by mariuca:

Originally posted by tanguera:

Lovely that people are commenting. I'm just not understanding the purpose of this thread...? Wouldn't you want the comments on your image to appear on the image page?


So far there seems to have been mostly praise but the purpose of the thread seems to me like an appraisal of the entire challenge and a more in depth critique of the pictures that we have more to say about without creating a problem. A lot of people do not like a critique of any kind, thus the bagheads, thus this thread.

For instance, the Yolk is on you was for me a huge disappointment. The entire topic was uninspiring for me and although I love to participate as much as I can, I could not find a single idea. I would like to make some comments but I have to be careful and look at the list of people who don't mind an after the challenge discussion.


I still find the need for this thread incredibly disheartening, and we are clearly deferring to a very small number of people who do not want comments.
11/04/2016 04:16:00 PM · #16
I am leaving comments on the images posted, if I have something more to say. Shall I place them here also?.
11/04/2016 04:31:14 PM · #17
Originally posted by tanguera:

I still find the need for this thread incredibly disheartening, and we are clearly deferring to a very small number of people who do not want comments.

I think as people see that a "large" number of people DO want comments and are willing to abstain from vitriolic responses, they will be encouraged to just start commenting again and the need for this thread will pass.

Originally posted by mariuca:

I am leaving comments on the images posted, if I have something more to say. Shall I place them here also?.

I think that's fine -- reading your comment here may inspire someone to go look at a picture they would have otherwise skipped.

Message edited by author 2016-11-04 16:31:55.
11/04/2016 05:41:08 PM · #18
Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_1189338.jpg
For what's worth, it was a 7 from me. I liked the image a lot- the distractive element was the uneasiness we felt at looking at it.
I had a feeling of deja vu, but it did not matter. Yes, save for the filters, this was one of my favorite images.
Excellent title also.

Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_1189109.jpg
7from me also.Have not much to add from the comment I made already.
The image seems so contemporary that it gives one chills. Well done, again

Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_1189536.jpg
I disagree with the other commenters.
Being one of the people who loves taking pictures of reflections, I considered this image inconsequential. Yes, point the camera to a reflective surface and you get something mildly interesting and yes, distracting. Such as this one.
But to me a reflection is an organized chaos.
You could have probably done better with the processing - it's way to even. I am distracted but...from WHAT?
Hope I am understood properly.
11/04/2016 05:50:15 PM · #19
Originally posted by mariuca:



Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_1189536.jpg
I disagree with the other commenters.
Being one of the people who loves taking pictures of reflections, I considered this image inconsequential. Yes, point the camera to a reflective surface and you get something mildly interesting and yes, distracting. Such as this one.
But to me a reflection is an organized chaos.
You could have probably done better with the processing - it's way to even. I am distracted but...from WHAT?
Hope I am understood properly.


Mariuca- Thanks for taking the time to express your opinion! I am loving all the different points of view from everyone commenting. This image to be honest, was a shoehorn. I was walking down the main st of Mt Carroll IL just seeing what was there to catch my eye and I snapped this one. I actually wished the reflections of the other side if the street were not in the image but maybe they added a little more distraction. But I sort of felt overwhelmed by too many distractions in the image as well. But I do feel the main subject is the female manniquin and everything else is a distraction and/or complimentary to the image. As far as processing, I didn't know what else to do with it, and I didn't feel like spending hours on the computer doing it this time.
11/04/2016 06:04:45 PM · #20
Originally posted by tanguera:

Lovely that people are commenting. I'm just not understanding the purpose of this thread...? Wouldn't you want the comments on your image to appear on the image page?


Originally posted by Dennisheckman:

I think it's best to post in the image and post here as well for the general discussion. That's how I will handle my commenting.


Yah, that.....

From the first post...

I don't know if we should just/only comment on the image, we definitely should on the image, but I know part of what I liked was having open discussion as well as the comment when my image was up for perusal. So I mirrored the comment I left here in this thread


As I saw it, post the comment on the image, then mirror it here so that the image that was picked & commented upon could get discussion & hopefully, more comments.
11/04/2016 06:10:13 PM · #21
Originally posted by mariuca:

Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_1189338.jpg
For what's worth, it was a 7 from me. I liked the image a lot- the distractive element was the uneasiness we felt at looking at it.
I had a feeling of deja vu, but it did not matter. Yes, save for the filters, this was one of my favorite images.
Excellent title also.

7 from me as well.

I was unsure about the toning at first but the more I looked at it, the more it worked for me.
11/04/2016 06:12:07 PM · #22
Originally posted by vawendy:

Here's another that's more distracting image than distracting element. But I also enjoyed searching it immensely.

Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_1189481.jpg

This was my pick for the Red.

Dennis's just edged it out because of my personal thing for mannequins....LOL!!!
11/04/2016 07:46:01 PM · #23
Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_1189679.jpg Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_1189527.jpg

Found it! Took me a while to find the one in two images!
Now these are images to be discussed!

The Bear got some milage out of this leaf.
The monument, the one on the left, I couldn't care less although the details at the bottom of the leaf are marvelous, a vintage Bear!The idea per se is not bad at all and I wouldn't be surprised if we'll see soon real iron and steel monument on the street. It could be nice. Quite striking. But here, as a photo I do not like it. (I gave it a 5)

Now the second one is a different story. It does have the feel of a possible overleaf for a Conrad novel, for instance. The leaf is now a torn sail. The stories that it could tell!

Message edited by author 2016-11-04 19:58:28.
11/05/2016 01:28:33 AM · #24
One of the rare challenges I didn't vote on, but I really liked this image. Something about nines and blue-gold gradients that speaks to me :-)

Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_1189338.jpg October 2016 21_F.gif Lydia

Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_1082977.jpg September 2013 21.gif wbanning

Pretty cool! I'd completely forgotten about this entry until I saw the reminiscent colors and 3x3 squares.
11/05/2016 03:48:01 AM · #25
I'm late to these Post-Challenge Volunteer threads, but intrigued by the idea. I added my name to the "willing to receive" list earlier this evening. I'm committing to cycling through everyone on the list with a post-challenge comment. This time through, I'm picking a recent entry. Maybe next time I'll pick ones I scored high or low and add comment.

I started tonight at the bottom of the list and worked upwards. Here are the ones I got to this time - comments on the entry page:

Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_1189596.jpg 21_F.gif vawendy

Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_1189516.jpg 21_F.gif tnun

Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_1186319.jpg 96751.gif tanguera

Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_1189429.jpg 21_F.gif primabarbara

Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_1189391.jpg 21.gif posthumous

Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_1185783.jpg 21_F.gif pixelpig

Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_1189653.jpg 21_F.gif PennyStreet
Pages:  
Current Server Time: 11/23/2017 01:35:13 AM

Please log in or register to post to the forums.


Home - Challenges - Community - League - Photos - Cameras - Lenses - Learn - Prints! - Help - Terms of Use - Privacy - Top ^
DPChallenge, and website content and design, Copyright © 2001-2017 Challenging Technologies, LLC.
All digital photo copyrights belong to the photographers and may not be used without permission.
Proudly hosted by Sargasso Networks. Current Server Time: 11/23/2017 01:35:13 AM EST.