DPChallenge: A Digital Photography Contest You are not logged in. (log in or register
 

DPChallenge Forums >> General Discussion >> DPC is unstable
Pages:  
Showing posts 1 - 25 of 34, (reverse)
AuthorThread
11/20/2016 04:22:45 PM · #1
today many times it went down and kept on receiving message as "Your request has caused an internal error. The administrators have been notified of this error. Please try again later."
11/20/2016 04:58:42 PM · #2
Yes me too. Using MS Edge, WIN10
11/20/2016 05:35:24 PM · #3
I didn't get that message but it's been very slow for me at times depending what link I click on. If I want to see my comments received, for example, it takes minutes to load that page.
11/20/2016 05:45:16 PM · #4
I didn't get any errors, I just couldn't do more than logon to the home page.. anything else sent me spinning. Finally was able to enter for tonight.
11/20/2016 05:55:07 PM · #5
Been happening to me also. The server we are using seems only marginally reliable :-(

ETA: according to Langdon, it's "More side effects of bots trying to download images for computer vision work" :-(

Message edited by author 2016-11-20 18:32:53.
11/20/2016 06:41:08 PM · #6
translation?
11/20/2016 07:23:40 PM · #7
Originally posted by tnun:

translation?

More details in this thread.
11/20/2016 11:15:03 PM · #8
I was lost and alone...

*sniff*

11/20/2016 11:23:37 PM · #9
oh. 'bots.
11/21/2016 02:39:47 AM · #10
.....couldn't submit....

......all is lost.....

11/21/2016 08:34:40 AM · #11
I shouldn't say this...because it usually will come back to bite me...for once I'm not having any problems...weird!!!
11/21/2016 08:51:11 AM · #12
Mine's been spotty....fine one time, sometimes won't even open.
11/21/2016 11:22:56 AM · #13
It takes time to get to the homepage... have to wait 20-30 seconds, after that all is pretty smooth with the exception of posting something in the forums. It keeps running for maybe 10 seconds, but it works.
11/21/2016 11:33:53 AM · #14
researchers and students that are ignorant of ethics and licensing are basically ruining the experience of paying members here.

i don't see any easy strategy for it to get better anytime quickly

:(

edit: anybody noticed the increase in double-posts recently? same cause i think.

Message edited by author 2016-11-21 11:34:13.
11/21/2016 11:50:30 AM · #15
Yeesh, it has been bad again today. Same as Georges, home page seems to take forever to load, but then better once loaded.

ETA, well, the message above did take almost two minutes to post :-P

Message edited by author 2016-11-21 11:55:16.
11/21/2016 12:24:10 PM · #16
Originally posted by NiallOTuama:

researchers and students that are ignorant of ethics and licensing are basically ruining the experience of paying members here.

i don't see any easy strategy for it to get better anytime quickly

:(

edit: anybody noticed the increase in double-posts recently? same cause i think.


how beastly
11/21/2016 12:26:17 PM · #17
Same here, both front page and forum reply takes ages to load. Also had some error message, something about "line 127 ... could not connect to the database"
11/21/2016 01:10:19 PM · #18
Originally posted by Kroburg:

Same here, both front page and forum reply takes ages to load. Also had some error message, something about "line 127 ... could not connect to the database"

That's it in a nutshell. More sever capacity would help, I'm sure, but it costs money :-(
11/21/2016 01:15:36 PM · #19
I had the same problems, but the site is really fast at the moment!
11/21/2016 01:34:39 PM · #20
Originally posted by Bear_Music:

That's it in a nutshell. More sever capacity would help, I'm sure, but it costs money :-(

I have donated to various worthy causes here for community members, and had members donate to causes of mine.

I'd absolutely donate to a server fundraiser!
11/21/2016 03:35:55 PM · #21
Originally posted by NikonJeb:

Originally posted by Bear_Music:

That's it in a nutshell. More sever capacity would help, I'm sure, but it costs money :-(

I have donated to various worthy causes here for community members, and had members donate to causes of mine.

I'd absolutely donate to a server fundraiser!


according the stats page their are 427 paying members. if those numbers are correct, that almost $900 a month gross income. how much does reliable bandwidth cost?
11/21/2016 03:44:33 PM · #22
Originally posted by Mike:

Originally posted by NikonJeb:


I'd absolutely donate to a server fundraiser!


according the stats page their are 427 paying members. if those numbers are correct, that almost $900 a month gross income. how much does reliable bandwidth cost?

surely the issue is that right now donating to anything is only going to support those that are downloading the images. i'm quite sure they'll gobble up more than we would use as members by far

but i also would.

Message edited by author 2016-11-21 15:44:46.
11/21/2016 03:49:27 PM · #23
to try to put the thing into perspective.

there are about 350,000 images in uploaded here. each can be up to 700 kB in size. multiplying these two numbers together makes about 250 GB. there's no way paying for that capacity makes any kind of sense.

Message edited by author 2016-11-21 16:03:35.
11/21/2016 04:56:32 PM · #24
Originally posted by NikonJeb:

I'd absolutely donate to a server fundraiser!

Originally posted by Mike:

according the stats page their are 427 paying members. if those numbers are correct, that almost $900 a month gross income. how much does reliable bandwidth cost?

Originally posted by NiallOTuama:

surely the issue is that right now donating to anything is only going to support those that are downloading the images. i'm quite sure they'll gobble up more than we would use as members by far

but i also would.

Sigh....

Yes, I'm sure the powers-that-be are getting rich off all the money flowing in, and the bots, freedloaders, & students will suck up anything we could put together, but my point more was that I'm sure some of us would be happy to fund a specific piece of hardware, and/or set allocation of space if it meant that at least for a little while, it might solve our speed issue.

Going right to calling out downsides before the idea is even discussed is not particularly constructive.

I would suggest that fundraisers are optional, and that if one chooses not to support it, fine......don't donate.

But please let those of us with rose-colored glasses who like this place and don't have any righteous indignation about the world not meeting our expectations at least have a discussion before the concept gets shot out of the saddle.


11/21/2016 05:01:57 PM · #25
Originally posted by NiallOTuama:

to try to put the thing into perspective.

there are about 350,000 images in uploaded here. each can be up to 700 kB in size. multiplying these two numbers together makes about 250 GB. there's no way paying for that capacity makes any kind of sense.

Umm...

Until October of 2014, images were only 300KB...
Pages:  
Current Server Time: 05/29/2017 03:43:48 PM

Please log in or register to post to the forums.


Home - Challenges - Community - League - Photos - Cameras - Lenses - Learn - Prints! - Help - Terms of Use - Privacy - Top ^
DPChallenge, and website content and design, Copyright © 2001-2017 Challenging Technologies, LLC.
All digital photo copyrights belong to the photographers and may not be used without permission.
Proudly hosted by Sargasso Networks. Current Server Time: 05/29/2017 03:43:48 PM EDT.