DPChallenge: A Digital Photography Contest You are not logged in. (log in or register
 

DPChallenge Forums >> Photography Discussion >> The FEAR of 10
Pages:  
Showing posts 1 - 12 of 12, (reverse)
AuthorThread
11/28/2016 10:46:57 PM · #1
I might as well title this The FEAR of giving 10 and the COURAGE of giving 1

Should have posted it in challenge results as well. I do not intend to beat up the proverbial dead horse. Just this thought:

I noticed how rarely 10 is given to challenge pictures. I myself do not dispense it often, but neither do I give 1 either.
I posted in the …images that failed to make the top 10
my marks of 9s and 10s. (the lowest given were about 5 marks of 4) Could no stop noticing that wonderful photos, perfectly sharp, got only three marks of 10 at the most.
One explanation is the childish one (the voter has a horse in the race) but I suspect also the fear of being ridiculous, of expressing an intense like for an image that a lot of other people might have an indifferent reaction or shear disdain against it. This in case one leaves a comment. But voting without comment asks for no assumed responsibility.

Granted, not all challenges have so many excellent pictures as the last one voted. But every so often…a mark of 9 maybe 10…? might encourage some photographers who won't moan about a dying site etc.

At least here we can post a slew of styles. I find 1X less and less interesting and more and more commercial.But such are our times.
That's it.
11/28/2016 11:03:21 PM · #2
I basically vote a personal scale of 4-9, with outliers, myself. I'll give anybody a score of 4 just for trying, for being brave enough to put themselves out there for critique. I'll rarely give less than 4, and basically only if I feel like someone's making a joke out of the challenge. Similarly, I'll rarely give a 10 just because I choose to let 10s represent something really special to me, and those don't happen in every challenge.
11/29/2016 04:14:11 AM · #3
I tend to treat each challenge as its own separate thing. So I'll go through all the images and award a score with the top images getting an 8. Then i'll go through then again and bump my favourite three or four up to a 9. Then i'll choose my favourite of the whole challenge and that gets a 10. So, when I have time, in every challenge I vote on there will be one 10 and one 10 only (apart from a few exceptions when I can't decide on the top one).

I very rarely give 1's though - or two's and three's really. I tend to give out a lot of 4's though.

Message edited by author 2016-11-29 04:15:14.
11/29/2016 08:41:12 AM · #4
Originally posted by rooum:

I tend to treat each challenge as its own separate thing. So I'll go through all the images and award a score with the top images getting an 8. Then i'll go through then again and bump my favourite three or four up to a 9. Then i'll choose my favourite of the whole challenge and that gets a 10. So, when I have time, in every challenge I vote on there will be one 10 and one 10 only (apart from a few exceptions when I can't decide on the top one).

I very rarely give 1's though - or two's and three's really. I tend to give out a lot of 4's though.


This is similar to my voting style. On first pass I give out a 4, 5, 6, or 7. I then revisit and start bumping up some 4's to 5's, 5's to 6's and so on. I usually end up with a few 9's and sometimes a 10. I rarely hand out anything less than 4.
11/29/2016 10:06:14 AM · #5
Originally posted by insteps:

Originally posted by rooum:

I tend to treat each challenge as its own separate thing. So I'll go through all the images and award a score with the top images getting an 8. Then i'll go through then again and bump my favourite three or four up to a 9. Then i'll choose my favourite of the whole challenge and that gets a 10. So, when I have time, in every challenge I vote on there will be one 10 and one 10 only (apart from a few exceptions when I can't decide on the top one).

I very rarely give 1's though - or two's and three's really. I tend to give out a lot of 4's though.


This is similar to my voting style. On first pass I give out a 4, 5, 6, or 7. I then revisit and start bumping up some 4's to 5's, 5's to 6's and so on. I usually end up with a few 9's and sometimes a 10. I rarely hand out anything less than 4.


Describes me pretty well, too.
11/29/2016 05:19:49 PM · #6
I, also, tend to overuse the middle of the voting scale, and I am too stingy with 9's and 10's. I don't know that I need to work on handing out more votes of 1 to 3, but I do think I will try to differentiate what I think are the cream of the crop and use more of the upper range.

I have not been adding good images to my favorites lately either -- I may exercise that option more, too. And, comment more...
11/29/2016 05:42:58 PM · #7
I'm a wild voter, I've given as many as 10 10s in a single challenge. But sometimes I don't go above a 7. And 4 is my lowest. I figure there are enough determined 1-2-3 voters here.
11/29/2016 05:51:42 PM · #8
I vote randomly and the image has very little to do with the score I give.

Or at least that's how it feels sometimes when I reflect.

It's a noisy process. My voting has a lot to do with how I feel at the time.

I can't remember the last time I gave a 1. I love to fine images that cry out for a 10! That is never a choice and is definitely the most consistent part of my voting.
11/30/2016 07:56:40 AM · #9
Originally posted by mariuca:

I might as well title this The FEAR of giving 10 and the COURAGE of giving 1

Should have posted it in challenge results as well. I do not intend to beat up the proverbial dead horse. Just this thought:

I noticed how rarely 10 is given to challenge pictures. I myself do not dispense it often, but neither do I give 1 either.
I posted in the …images that failed to make the top 10
my marks of 9s and 10s. (the lowest given were about 5 marks of 4) Could no stop noticing that wonderful photos, perfectly sharp, got only three marks of 10 at the most.
One explanation is the childish one (the voter has a horse in the race) but I suspect also the fear of being ridiculous, of expressing an intense like for an image that a lot of other people might have an indifferent reaction or shear disdain against it. This in case one leaves a comment. But voting without comment asks for no assumed responsibility.

Granted, not all challenges have so many excellent pictures as the last one voted. But every so often…a mark of 9 maybe 10…? might encourage some photographers who won't moan about a dying site etc.

At least here we can post a slew of styles. I find 1X less and less interesting and more and more commercial.But such are our times.
That's it.


I'll say it again, this place always puts too much demand on the voters to give high marks and not enough demand to the photographer for creating something worth voting high for.
11/30/2016 09:17:31 AM · #10
Originally posted by Mike:

Originally posted by mariuca:



Granted, not all challenges have so many excellent pictures as the last one voted (Hidden Gem, added for clarity). But every so often…a mark of 9 maybe 10…? might encourage some photographers who won't moan about a dying site etc.


I'll say it again, this place always puts too much demand on the voters to give high marks and not enough demand to the photographer for creating something worth voting high for.


Mike, I was not very clear in my rant. I would encourage people to award 10s if it's the case. But for every challenge we get pretty much the same spattering of marks of the middle of the scale with some notable 1s and we fail to acknowledge quality, if it's the case by a sort of diffidence in giving a high mark.
Now, if you'd like to put some demands for better photography, considering that we are an improvised "school" under the vast umbrella of a contest, I suggest that you take 3 images in every challenge that are sub par in your view and make good, succinct critique.
I cannot see how you can have a better level of photography without putting a bit of an effort. And I mean: effort of all of us in seeing and thinking, in taking a critique, in leaving comments.
11/30/2016 12:48:37 PM · #11
Originally posted by NiallOTuama:

I vote randomly and the image has very little to do with the score I give.


Yes & no for me. I vote randomly in that I don't have a specific pattern.....it varies from voting splurge to voting splurge.

The image does have a lot to do with it in that I consider many variables before the vote.
Originally posted by NiallOTuama:

I love to find images that cry out for a 10! That is never a choice and is definitely the most consistent part of my voting.

Yah.....10s I give are usually a surprise because I'm so taken with my first view.
11/30/2016 01:14:46 PM · #12
Originally posted by rooum:

I tend to treat each challenge as its own separate thing. So I'll go through all the images and award a score with the top images getting an 8. Then i'll go through then again and bump my favourite three or four up to a 9. Then i'll choose my favourite of the whole challenge and that gets a 10. So, when I have time, in every challenge I vote on there will be one 10 and one 10 only (apart from a few exceptions when I can't decide on the top one).

I very rarely give 1's though - or two's and three's really. I tend to give out a lot of 4's though.


That's pretty much what I do.

First go through the entries, trying to get an overall idea, then I start voting giving 6 to my "average" picture, 7 and 8 to my excellences, skipping all the possible 5s and below.

The second round gives the 5s and lower votes (which go from the "This doesn't work for me at all" 4 to "this is completely out of topic" 3).

I tend to avoid giving extremely low scores.

The third round declares the 10 (or 10s) and the 9s, and possibly moves up 6s, and 7s.

Usually I give at least a 10 per challenge.

Again, this is pretty much what I do.

The late "extremely low voting" is a bit annoying, though, looks like some folks are extremely coragious in giving very low scores.

But anyway, that's part of the game!
Pages:  
Current Server Time: 06/20/2018 01:59:55 AM

Please log in or register to post to the forums.


Home - Challenges - Community - League - Photos - Cameras - Lenses - Learn - Prints! - Help - Terms of Use - Privacy - Top ^
DPChallenge, and website content and design, Copyright © 2001-2018 Challenging Technologies, LLC.
All digital photo copyrights belong to the photographers and may not be used without permission.
Proudly hosted by Sargasso Networks. Current Server Time: 06/20/2018 01:59:55 AM EDT.