DPChallenge: A Digital Photography Contest You are not logged in. (log in or register
 

DPChallenge Forums >> General Discussion >> ?Extended Free Study?
Pages:  
Showing posts 1 - 25 of 42, (reverse)
AuthorThread
02/22/2017 05:23:55 AM · #1
Hi guys,
I was looking at the Extended FS results and I was wondering "what is the point of the Extended FS?". In my opinion it should be a contest in which the users use the "Extended" ruleset and partecipate with artworks. Looking at the submitted pictures, instead, I see just another "Free Study" where someone, if he wants, can take advantage from the Exteneded ruleset. So, maybe the real question is "what's the point to have two Free Study in a month"?

Please note: I'm not complaining about the results (my Pic was just a "clumsy" merge of two pictures taken during the validity period of the contest and maybe deserves the received votes), I'm just trying to understand the purpose of these contests.

Cheers
02/22/2017 05:44:58 AM · #2
True, in fact the old/ordinary FS could now be disposed of as one can do it all, or not, in Extended.

Good point , please go to the head of the class.
02/22/2017 06:52:17 AM · #3
Originally posted by Tiny:

True, in fact the old/ordinary FS could now be disposed of as one can do it all, or not, in Extended.

Good point , please go to the head of the class.

No thanks! I like having a regular Free Study uncluttered without the crazy non-photo, collaged, fantasy, flipped stuff.

People need the Extended FS to get this stuff out of their system. LOL
02/22/2017 06:57:54 AM · #4
Originally posted by glad2badad:


No thanks! I like having a regular Free Study uncluttered without the crazy non-photo, collaged, fantasy, flipped stuff.

People need the Extended FS to get this stuff out of their system. LOL

I agree with you but at the same time in my opinion there is the need to keep out the "regular" pictures from the Extended FS, otherwise there is no sense to have both.
02/22/2017 07:03:03 AM · #5
Originally posted by the_rkp:

Hi guys,
I was looking at the Extended FS results and I was wondering "what is the point of the Extended FS?". In my opinion it should be a contest in which the users use the "Extended" ruleset and partecipate with artworks.


Why should it be used to compose artworks??? It says nowhere that Extended should be used to create 'artwork'. The use of the extended ruleset just give you that extra possibility to edit your image in a way that is not possible in Standard editing. And looking at the result in the last Extended FS I dare say many submitters used that ruleset quite well. So I really can't see your point, to be honest.
02/22/2017 07:12:58 AM · #6
Look at the top 10, maybe the half of the pictures take advantage of the Extended ruleset. This is the point.

The word "extended" is in the name of the contest, in my opinion if a picture may participate to a classical "standard" contest it is a DNMC.

Of course this is just my opinion. :-)
02/22/2017 07:23:06 AM · #7
Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_447738.gif
02/22/2017 07:30:43 AM · #8
You can't tell who used the extended ruleset by looking.
02/22/2017 07:38:17 AM · #9
The purpose of the Extended ruleset is to obtain a picture that you cannot obtain otherwise. If a photo may be confused as a "standard" one, in my opinion is not meeting the challenge.

But maybe my opinion is too much "inflexible" :-)
02/22/2017 08:00:02 AM · #10
Originally posted by the_rkp:

The purpose of the Extended ruleset is to obtain a picture that you cannot obtain otherwise. If a photo may be confused as a "standard" one, in my opinion is not meeting the challenge.

But maybe my opinion is too much "inflexible" :-)


It is too inflexible. What is a "standard" photo? Take my entry:
Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_1193926.jpg

Upon first glance, you might think this is a standard photo. But in reality, there was no way to simply take this photo. For instance, the lamp post on the right does not exist at all. I had to draw it in there by copying one of the other lamps. Without that lamp on that side of the image, this photo had less depth and was boring.

So I made full use of extended editing, but likely a lot of people would never know that just by looking at it.
02/22/2017 08:13:36 AM · #11
Originally posted by giantmike:


It is too inflexible. What is a "standard" photo? Take my entry:
Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_1193926.jpg

Upon first glance, you might think this is a standard photo. But in reality, there was no way to simply take this photo. For instance, the lamp post on the right does not exist at all. I had to draw it in there by copying one of the other lamps. Without that lamp on that side of the image, this photo had less depth and was boring.

So I made full use of extended editing, but likely a lot of people would never know that just by looking at it.

I understand your point, but I still think that make a full use of extended editing to obtain something of "too much realistic" in an "Extended Free Study" is wrong. So, since I'm too inflexible I guess it is better I stop partecipate to the Extended Free Study and stop voting it ;-)
02/22/2017 08:22:57 AM · #12
I agree with Barry.
02/22/2017 09:00:59 AM · #13
Originally posted by Tiny:

I agree with Barry.

Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_870934.gif
02/22/2017 09:05:58 AM · #14
Originally posted by glad2badad:

Originally posted by Tiny:

I agree with Barry.

Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_870934.gif

eheheheh
02/22/2017 09:34:43 AM · #15
Originally posted by the_rkp:


I understand your point, but I still think that make a full use of extended editing to obtain something of "too much realistic" in an "Extended Free Study" is wrong.


Your own entry to this challenge looks very realistic. Looks like a large print on a wall that has worn away. So by your own definition, your entry is "wrong."

I'm not trying to argue with you here. You can enter and vote however you want, but a little open-mindedness is a great thing (this is a lesson I have learned multiple times here at DPC) :)
02/22/2017 09:41:56 AM · #16
Originally posted by giantmike:


Your own entry to this challenge looks very realistic. Looks like a large print on a wall that has worn away. So by your own definition, your entry is "wrong."

I'm not trying to argue with you here. You can enter and vote however you want, but a little open-mindedness is a great thing (this is a lesson I have learned multiple times here at DPC) :)


Yes maybe you are right, in fact I knew my entry was orrible hihihih ^_^
02/22/2017 09:56:15 AM · #17
Originally posted by glad2badad:

Originally posted by Tiny:

I agree with Barry.

Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_870934.gif


Barry, that face applies to me too, as I also agree :-)
02/22/2017 09:59:51 AM · #18
FWIW, the notes on my entry (6th place) clearly indicate that it is anything but Extended editing. In fact, I could have done much more in Standard that what I did. From my perspective, you can't have a restriction on what you *haven't* done. You're free to use any/all of the freedom of an applicable ruleset, or none at all. Nothing at all keeping anyone from submitting an entry processed per Minimal in a Standard or Extended challenge.
02/22/2017 10:05:20 AM · #19
I have to ask...what is so terrible about 2 FS per month? Also, what is so terrible about using the extended rules to do anything you want? I thought that was the point. Speaking of a point, I thought the point of the extended rules FS was to cut down on the possible number of extended challenges.
02/22/2017 10:34:32 AM · #20
Guys there is nothing terrible here, I wanted to share my point of view :-)

Nothing terrible to have 2 FS per month, but, actually, there are not 2 FS per month... There is a "Free Study" and an "Extended Free Study", the "extended" word is in the title of the Challenge, that for me means that you have to use the extended ruleset, otherwise it's a "DNMC". If you have a challenge named "Bird flight" and I send a beautiful picture of a dog flying (LOL), do you think is a DNMC or not?

Of course mine is an example to explain my point of view. But I don't want to persuade you, just to talk with you guys :-P

Message edited by author 2017-02-22 10:35:25.
02/22/2017 10:42:47 AM · #21
Originally posted by the_rkp:

...for me means that you have to use the extended ruleset, otherwise it's a "DNMC". ...


Wow, I think you have insulted a lot of people. And, how do you determine whether I used the extended ruleset? I did, and may do so in the future.

Extended Freestudy rankings. 2016 and 2017 Thanks 69684.gif hajeka!!!

Message edited by author 2017-02-22 10:46:19.
02/22/2017 10:47:19 AM · #22
First, a couple of +'s (there were more):

"Why should it be used to compose artworks??? It says nowhere that Extended should be used to create 'artwork'. The use of the extended ruleset just give you that extra possibility to edit your image in a way that is not possible in Standard editing. And looking at the result in the last Extended FS I dare say many submitters used that ruleset quite well. . . " 21.gif Kroburg

". . . From my perspective, you can't have a restriction on what you *haven't* done. You're free to use any/all of the freedom of an applicable ruleset, or none at all. Nothing at all keeping anyone from submitting an entry processed per Minimal in a Standard or Extended challenge." 21.gif kirbic

Secondly, my thoughts:

Whether in fiction, in film, or in visual art, I'm not much for fantasy. That said, I often reward fantasy images here very highly - if I consider them fantastic in every sense of the word. However, what I like best about the Extended Free Study is the freedom it offers, not only to the photographer/artist/creator but to the voter. I love being able to view, think about, react to, evaluate the entries without giving a thought to "theme". That's what "free study" means for me. To start wondering, "Is this "extended" enough for me?", would ruin the experience; it would effectively impose a "theme" on a challenge that's not supposed to have one.

Here's my highest EFS finish and one I'm very proud of. The fact that the only thing "extended" about it to the casual observer's eye was the unlikelihood of meeting a wolf prowling on an apparently well used rural road was exactly what I tried for. Unless I'm misreading, you would have scored this on the low end, 21.gif the_rkp.

Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_1190682.jpg
02/22/2017 10:54:04 AM · #23
Originally posted by hahn23:

Originally posted by the_rkp:

...for me means that you have to use the extended ruleset, otherwise it's a "DNMC". ...


Wow, I think you have insulted a lot of people. And, how do you determine whether I used the extended ruleset? I did, and may do so in the future.


Wow, very nice. Did you clone out some bees? :)
02/22/2017 11:10:40 AM · #24
I hope no one else feels offended by my opinion, but maybe if someone get offended when someone else express politely his thought, maybe, a forum is not the right place for him. ;-)

Originally posted by nam:


Here's my highest EFS finish and one I'm very proud of. The fact that the only thing "extended" about it to the casual observer's eye was the unlikelihood of meeting a wolf prowling on an apparently well used rural road was exactly what I tried for. Unless I'm misreading, you would have scored this on the low end, 21.gif the_rkp.


Actually I gave you a 7, I thought the wolf has been added in PP LOL

Message edited by author 2017-02-22 11:10:55.
02/22/2017 11:25:15 AM · #25
Should an image straight from the camera be DNMC in a Standard Editing challenge?

I don't think so.

Neither do I think that a Standard Editing image in an Extended Editing challenge is DNMC.

The rules allow for Standard editing, but that doesn't mean we have to somehow edit our image just to make it not be a Minimal Editing image.

Same for Extended and Standard, IN MY OPINION.

Pages:  
Current Server Time: 11/18/2017 04:07:53 AM

Please log in or register to post to the forums.


Home - Challenges - Community - League - Photos - Cameras - Lenses - Learn - Prints! - Help - Terms of Use - Privacy - Top ^
DPChallenge, and website content and design, Copyright © 2001-2017 Challenging Technologies, LLC.
All digital photo copyrights belong to the photographers and may not be used without permission.
Proudly hosted by Sargasso Networks. Current Server Time: 11/18/2017 04:07:53 AM EST.