DPChallenge: A Digital Photography Contest You are not logged in. (log in or register
 

DPChallenge Forums >> Challenge Results >> Thank You for Your Comments
Pages:  
Showing posts 1 - 25 of 26, (reverse)
AuthorThread
10/25/2017 11:03:53 PM · #1
please use this thread to thank your favorite commenters and/or highlight specific comments you've seen.

It doesn't have to be comments on your photos, in fact I encourage you to celebrate something other than a comment telling you how great you are.

For myself, it's been a pleasure reading 21_N.gif ubique's comments and a recent champion has been 21.gif streetpigeon throwing lots of thoughtful commentary, diligently explaining his opinion on the photo.
10/26/2017 10:43:41 AM · #2
I second the nomination of 21.gif streetpigeon. Thanks for this recent comment, Rich.
Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_1206693.jpg
Originally posted by streetpigeon:

So much to see and appreciate here. The entire scene seems supported by columns of legs and varied shoes. The puddle that provides the canvas opens up on a surreal urban carnival, bright and expansive. The roadway peeks through the water as stars-cum-confetti. The central man in shorts strides across like a colossus. It's fun and enchanting.
Personal favorite of the challenge.
10/26/2017 02:43:57 PM · #3
As usual, I can't do anything the suggested way.....

I want to thank the community, especially the serious and helpful photographers who do take their time to leave insightful comments.

Over the years, people have left me comments that meant the world to me, radically changed my views, vision, style, and techniques.

I have felt encouraged, amused, inspired, had my thought processes stimulated, and throughout all of this, become a better photographer and enjoy photography more.

Sometimes that comment will make my whole day. Sometimes that comment will be a beacon of light in a dark place. Sometimes I didn't really WANT to hear what that person had to say, but I NEEDED to hear it.

Truly, it's one of the major reasons I'm here. Those special comments.

I would like to share just this one because it happened early on in my DPC life. I took a chance, did something that I knew would make people twitch, yet I wanted to see what kind of reaction I would get. It was in a challenge themed "Black & White. The challenge description was N/A.

So..... Smartass that I am, I submitted a full color shot of a black guy with a white beard. I got POUNDED!!! Laughed my ass off at the outpouring of people telling me it wasn't a Black & White image. But it didn't say that it was supposed to be in the challenge description. And I got this comment.....

Well this image was quite the shock opening up. Having just voted on almost 100 black and white images to see this image full of color come up was a stunner. Had I not spent the extra second I did compared to many of the other entries my finger probably would have hit the 3 button quick. I expect that you are recieving many DNMC votes and comments on this one. But not here. No where in the challenge description does it say that your entry must be a black and white converted image. While a bit out of the box (just a bit) I think that you met the challenge well and in a gutsy way. The image is strong and pleasing, the red background really makes this stand out even more than in comparison to the images around it. My only real complaint is the border. I am not too keen on the design and the orange strip just doesn't really go well with any of the colors that are in your image. I hope you aren't getting hit too hard here. You get an 8 from me counting the extra point awarded for sheer balls. Good luck and I look forward to seeing where this image falls.

That, people, is the kind of comment that you remember forever, and makes you feel like you really can do anything if your heart's in it.

There is a really special quality in the DPC community.
10/26/2017 03:16:45 PM · #4
Originally posted by NikonJeb:

Well this image was quite the shock opening up. Having just voted on almost 100 black and white images to see this image full of color come up was a stunner. Had I not spent the extra second I did compared to many of the other entries my finger probably would have hit the 3 button quick. I expect that you are recieving many DNMC votes and comments on this one. But not here. No where in the challenge description does it say that your entry must be a black and white converted image. While a bit out of the box (just a bit) I think that you met the challenge well and in a gutsy way. The image is strong and pleasing, the red background really makes this stand out even more than in comparison to the images around it. My only real complaint is the border. I am not too keen on the design and the orange strip just doesn't really go well with any of the colors that are in your image. I hope you aren't getting hit too hard here. You get an 8 from me counting the extra point awarded for sheer balls. Good luck and I look forward to seeing where this image falls.


Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_447173.jpg comment by 31.gif timfythetoo

Message edited by author 2017-10-26 15:17:25.
10/26/2017 03:32:05 PM · #5
What I enjoy most of all is sexual innuendo.
This may be the wrong place to post this but hey ho and away.
10/26/2017 04:33:45 PM · #6
Originally posted by Tiny:

What I enjoy most of all is sexual innuendo.
This may be the wrong place to post this but hey ho and away.


I find your entry very satisfying.
10/26/2017 04:47:14 PM · #7
One of my favorite Brown-ribbon winners was just full of meaningful comments (including a Posthumous Blue!) but I still think this is my favorite if I have to pick just one.

Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_506222.jpg

Originally posted by bucket:

To stop people and ask them to think...
ahhh such a dangerouos position to take...:)
I love when someone creates an opportunity for me to learn...

There was fairly extensive information and some links in the notes area ...
10/26/2017 04:47:22 PM · #8
Should be duly noted that there are several people here who go out of their way to note images that resonate highly with them and reward the photog with various forms of bling.

It's always an extra special delight to get one.

Just sayin'
10/26/2017 04:59:24 PM · #9
I thank 21.gif kiwinick if only for the dedication and the number of comments given. He's a commenting beast! :D
10/26/2017 08:33:01 PM · #10
I really dont know what people expect in a comment,I just say how the photo appeals or not to me and why that is .
10/26/2017 08:41:33 PM · #11
Originally posted by kiwinick:

I really dont know what people expect in a comment,I just say how the photo appeals or not to me and why that is .

Yeah, that....
10/26/2017 09:30:48 PM · #12
Originally posted by NikonJeb:

Originally posted by kiwinick:

I really dont know what people expect in a comment,I just say how the photo appeals or not to me and why that is .

Yeah, that....

I even made a template ... Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_1146965.jpg
10/26/2017 11:42:28 PM · #13
well I guess that I haven't been tar and feathered ,or banned Imust be on the right track but being down under we have an upside down view !!!!!! Tongue in cheek
10/27/2017 12:17:44 AM · #14
Another shoutout to 21.gif streetpigeon, first and foremost for my absolute favorite username, but also for his many well-expressed comments. He has a gift for reading a picture, and an equally wonderful gift in his elegant prose. On a recent entry of mine, he wrote:

"Comment by streetpigeon:
Very strong black and white. Nice rhythm to the high key presentation flowing from the darker lower right, echoed in the flow of water on the beach and in the ocean. The distant figures seem more imbued with quietude than were they closer, in my opinion, and despite the tension of nearby ominous, again in my opinion, industrialization."

For this picture:
Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_1206617.jpg

He pretty much nailed it. This is a stretch along Manhattan Beach. There will be large groupings of people on the beach nearest public parking areas. But in between those groupings, there are these wonderful little expanses of beach with few to no people. Of course, if you turn eastward, you have a mass of humanity - houses as far as the eye can see, and the stacks of the plant a bit further up the coast. Still, in those pockets where the people are few, you can cast your eyes westward and find a wonderful bit of solitude amidst the mass of humanity that is Los Angeles.
10/27/2017 03:17:07 AM · #15
A special thank you to 21.gif kiwinick for all those comments on every challenge entry
10/27/2017 08:09:02 AM · #16
Originally posted by posthumous:

Originally posted by Tiny:

What I enjoy most of all is sexual innuendo.
This may be the wrong place to post this but hey ho and away.


I find your entry very satisfying.


Thank you for your beautiful example.
10/27/2017 08:55:41 AM · #17
Originally posted by kiwinick:

well I guess that I haven't been tar and feathered ,or banned Imust be on the right track but being down under we have an upside down view !!!!!! Tongue in cheek


Hmm - tongue in cheek could be handy for dentists, but would a camera and fibre-optic cable on the tip of your tongue be useful otherwise?
10/30/2017 09:25:18 PM · #18
Originally posted by Lydia:

I thank 21.gif kiwinick if only for the dedication and the number of comments given. He's a commenting beast! :D
A special thank you to kiwinick for all those comments on every challenge entry

I second and third what they said. He's an awesome asset to our site. Kiwinick you are doing a great job.
11/03/2017 09:55:26 PM · #19
Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_1130336.jpg. The comment from 21_N.gif ubique said more about the reasons I liked this photo then I could ever have put into thoughts or words myself. THAT touched me at the time and still makes me smile. Thank you.

Recently, Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_1204741.jpg he just has a way with words. Who would have thought... "Russian doll" Ha!

And while this commenter is notable, there are several persons whose comments I search out and read frequently. I do find it remarkable what I have learned from other visions over the years.

11/04/2017 02:34:04 PM · #20
Originally posted by PennyStreet:

Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_1130336.jpg. The comment from 21_N.gif ubique said more about the reasons I liked this photo then I could ever have put into thoughts or words myself. THAT touched me at the time and still makes me smile. Thank you.

Recently, Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_1204741.jpg he just has a way with words. Who would have thought... "Russian doll" Ha!

And while this commenter is notable, there are several persons whose comments I search out and read frequently. I do find it remarkable what I have learned from other visions over the years.


You make me wonder, wriggle, squirm, and think. Thatís everything, really. Why else take photographs? Thank you.
11/05/2017 10:34:22 PM · #21
One of the best comments I ever received was on this early entry of mine in a street photogrpahy challenge. It was from Pawdrix, who simply said: "Why are you showing me this person?" That one simple question helped me to understand the concept of street photography. I miss having him on DPC, but I understand his reasons for moving on.
Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_733802.jpg
11/06/2017 05:42:10 AM · #22
Originally posted by Yo_Spiff:

..."Why are you showing me this person?"...

Did you answer the question or is that why Steve left? :P
11/06/2017 06:03:09 AM · #23
Love this comment by 21.gif streetpigeon on this entry Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_1207239.jpg

"Seemingly simple but very interesting, visceral image. I can actually feel in my stomach the ocean swell in the foreground. The sun and its reflection seem so bright that I instinctively avert my gaze. The smudged sailboat balances the scene, but hardly plays a part in this grandeur. The painterly treatment is modest and quite successful. Fine work."
11/06/2017 09:45:17 AM · #24
Originally posted by Yo_Spiff:

One of the best comments I ever received was on this early entry of mine in a street photogrpahy challenge. It was from Pawdrix, who simply said: "Why are you showing me this person?" That one simple question helped me to understand the concept of street photography. I miss having him on DPC, but I understand his reasons for moving on.
Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_733802.jpg


One of the most poignant question about taking a picture
11/06/2017 02:34:12 PM · #25
One of my favorite commenters commenting on another of my favorite commenters

Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_1207409.jpg by 21_F.gif tnun

"I like the people walking in the snow whatched by all the butterflies" by 21.gif herfotoman
Pages:  
Current Server Time: 11/23/2017 05:57:03 AM

Please log in or register to post to the forums.


Home - Challenges - Community - League - Photos - Cameras - Lenses - Learn - Prints! - Help - Terms of Use - Privacy - Top ^
DPChallenge, and website content and design, Copyright © 2001-2017 Challenging Technologies, LLC.
All digital photo copyrights belong to the photographers and may not be used without permission.
Proudly hosted by Sargasso Networks. Current Server Time: 11/23/2017 05:57:03 AM EST.