DPChallenge: A Digital Photography Contest You are not logged in. (log in or register
 

DPChallenge Forums >> Challenge Suggestions >> Wabi-Sabi
Pages:  
Showing posts 1 - 25 of 43, (reverse)
AuthorThread
10/19/2007 12:10:31 PM · #1
There's an article on Wabi-Sabi in this month's PhotoLife, and I tought it would be a good challenge topic.

Wabi-Sabi, by Richard Martin
This article is about looking at the everyday, the commonplace, and finding magic in the ordinary—a reminder that nothing in life, or design, is perfect. It is about appreciating the aesthetic concept of wabi-sabi, finding it or seeing it in things that already exist in the visual world around us.

The idea of wabi-sabi speaks of a readiness to accept things as they are. This is contrary to Western ideals that emphasize progress and growth as necessary components to daily living. Wabi-sabi’s fundamental nature is about process, not final product, about decay and aging, not growth. This concept requires the art of “slowness”, a willingness to concentrate on the things that are often overlooked, the imperfections and the marks recording the passing of time. For me, this is the perfect antidote to the invasive, slick, saccharine, corporate style of beauty.
10/19/2007 12:14:05 PM · #2
isn't that the green hot stuff you eat on Sushi?
10/19/2007 12:16:56 PM · #3
Sounds like zen.
10/19/2007 12:18:41 PM · #4
I was just thinking I should suggest this as I was reading PhotoLife yesterday! Great idea!!
10/19/2007 12:26:19 PM · #5
Great idea! (After overcoming initial shock from the background color in your link, I was able to appreciate the topic more)
10/19/2007 12:32:31 PM · #6
Oh I'm all over this one like white on zen rice. A LOT my challenge entries are what I call "mundane objects", and they always get hammered. But I absolutely LOVE photographing the "ordinary", always have...

R.
10/19/2007 01:00:10 PM · #7
Originally posted by Bear_Music:

Oh I'm all over this one like white on zen rice. A LOT my challenge entries are what I call "mundane objects", and they always get hammered. But I absolutely LOVE photographing the "ordinary", always have...

R.


same here.
10/19/2007 01:26:26 PM · #8
Great idea ... and thanks for the links. Very similar to the inspiration for, and what we're looking for on, our walkabout side challenges, one of which is happening this weekend (shameless plug, I know).
10/19/2007 01:55:55 PM · #9
I'm adding this to the challenge database. Any suggestions to improve the description from this:

Wabi-Sabi Challenge
look at the everyday, the commonplace, and find the magic and beauty in the ordinary; the perfections of the imperfect.
10/19/2007 02:03:41 PM · #10
Originally posted by frisca:

...Any suggestions to improve the description from this:


Add a link to the site or two... might improve chances for meeting the challenge. We've all read through those, but if it shows up as a challenge, for most people the context will be only what is written in a description.

Otherwise, title the challenge "everyday beauty" or something similar.
10/19/2007 02:11:07 PM · #11
Originally posted by srdanz:

Originally posted by frisca:

...Any suggestions to improve the description from this:


Add a link to the site or two... might improve chances for meeting the challenge. We've all read through those, but if it shows up as a challenge, for most people the context will be only what is written in a description.

Otherwise, title the challenge "everyday beauty" or something similar.


Ok I added the first link the OP posted, and also changed the title to "Beauty in the Everyday" so that people don't confuse the challenge for just a portrait challenge to find the beauty in the average person (which isn't a bad challenge idea on its own either, but its not what this one is about)
10/19/2007 02:13:41 PM · #12
Originally posted by frisca:

Originally posted by srdanz:

Originally posted by frisca:

...Any suggestions to improve the description from this:


Add a link to the site or two... might improve chances for meeting the challenge. We've all read through those, but if it shows up as a challenge, for most people the context will be only what is written in a description.

Otherwise, title the challenge "everyday beauty" or something similar.


Ok I added the first link the OP posted, and also changed the title to "Beauty in the Everyday" so that people don't confuse the challenge for just a portrait challenge to find the beauty in the average person (which isn't a bad challenge idea on its own either, but its not what this one is about)

If you took out the reference to "Wabi-Sabi" from the title, could you make sure it's in the description? I think it needs it.
10/19/2007 02:20:05 PM · #13
Originally posted by Louis:

Originally posted by frisca:

Originally posted by srdanz:

Originally posted by frisca:

...Any suggestions to improve the description from this:


Add a link to the site or two... might improve chances for meeting the challenge. We've all read through those, but if it shows up as a challenge, for most people the context will be only what is written in a description.

Otherwise, title the challenge "everyday beauty" or something similar.


Ok I added the first link the OP posted, and also changed the title to "Beauty in the Everyday" so that people don't confuse the challenge for just a portrait challenge to find the beauty in the average person (which isn't a bad challenge idea on its own either, but its not what this one is about)

If you took out the reference to "Wabi-Sabi" from the title, could you make sure it's in the description? I think it needs it.


Yes, its there for the link. :)
10/19/2007 02:23:15 PM · #14
WOOHOO!!!!!!!!!
10/19/2007 03:18:59 PM · #15
Originally posted by frisca:

I'm adding this to the challenge database. Any suggestions to improve the description from this:

Wabi-Sabi Challenge
look at the everyday, the commonplace, and find the magic and beauty in the ordinary; the perfections of the imperfect.


So just you can add suggestions to the challenge db or can all SC? I have never once seen someone say 'ok, this is in the database'.
10/19/2007 03:28:01 PM · #16
Originally posted by routerguy666:


So just you can add suggestions to the challenge db or can all SC? I have never once seen someone say 'ok, this is in the database'.


It IS an unprecedented statement isn't it? But yes, any SC can do it.

R.
10/19/2007 06:04:59 PM · #17
cept it's been added to the 'challenge' database. not the 'dpchallenge' database. so who knows where it will end up... ;}


10/19/2007 06:32:17 PM · #18
I have often taken ideas suggested in this forum and put it into the database. I didn't realize it was unprecedented to say so! But yes, when we get challenge suggests that appear workable with a good description, we put them into the database and then they are randomly selected by D and L (SC has no control over what challenge happens when, so its as much a surprise as it is to you) and scheduled.

10/19/2007 07:36:05 PM · #19
Originally posted by frisca:

I have often taken ideas suggested in this forum and put it into the database. I didn't realize it was unprecedented to say so! But yes, when we get challenge suggests that appear workable with a good description, we put them into the database and then they are randomly selected by D and L (SC has no control over what challenge happens when, so its as much a surprise as it is to you) and scheduled.


See below:

Message edited by author 2007-10-19 19:36:14.
10/19/2007 07:51:16 PM · #20
As a Japanese major, who also extensively studied Japanese literature and history, I've always thought of "wabi-sabi" as the essence of the transience of beauty - a reminder that beauty if fleeting. The Japanese author Yukio Mishima is especially adept at capturing the essence of wabi-sabi. I highly recommend "Spring Snow" for anyone interested.
10/19/2007 07:58:00 PM · #21
Originally posted by noraneko:

As a Japanese major, who also extensively studied Japanese literature and history, I've always thought of "wabi-sabi" as the essence of the transience of beauty - a reminder that beauty if fleeting. The Japanese author Yukio Mishima is especially adept at capturing the essence of wabi-sabi. I highly recommend "Spring Snow" for anyone interested.


A lovely book! And I am sure YOU are lovely in your Japanese Major's uniform :-) Does it have epaulets and gold braid?

R.
10/19/2007 08:18:38 PM · #22
Originally posted by Bear_Music:

Originally posted by noraneko:

As a Japanese major, who also extensively studied Japanese literature and history, I've always thought of "wabi-sabi" as the essence of the transience of beauty - a reminder that beauty if fleeting. The Japanese author Yukio Mishima is especially adept at capturing the essence of wabi-sabi. I highly recommend "Spring Snow" for anyone interested.


A lovely book! And I am sure YOU are lovely in your Japanese Major's uniform :-) Does it have epaulets and gold braid?

R.


LOL - you just made me laugh so hard, Richard. Thanks for that!
10/19/2007 08:25:24 PM · #23
None of the three photos shown in the article are wabi-sabi; I even asked my housemate, who's Japanese. However, it is a subjective response, so if the photographer feels that way....

p.s. Mishima's Sound of Waves is a good book too.
10/19/2007 08:29:40 PM · #24
Originally posted by noraneko:

Originally posted by Bear_Music:

A lovely book! And I am sure YOU are lovely in your Japanese Major's uniform :-) Does it have epaulets and gold braid?

R.


LOL - you just made me laugh so hard, Richard. Thanks for that!


Richard's my uncle, actually, and he IS (or was) a major, albeit not of the Japanese persuasion. I'm Robert :-)

R.
10/19/2007 09:51:43 PM · #25
Try this. The photographer's notes in some cases explain why he thinks his photos are wabi-sabi.
Pages:  
Current Server Time: 08/21/2017 08:29:55 AM

Please log in or register to post to the forums.


Home - Challenges - Community - League - Photos - Cameras - Lenses - Learn - Prints! - Help - Terms of Use - Privacy - Top ^
DPChallenge, and website content and design, Copyright © 2001-2017 Challenging Technologies, LLC.
All digital photo copyrights belong to the photographers and may not be used without permission.
Proudly hosted by Sargasso Networks. Current Server Time: 08/21/2017 08:29:55 AM EDT.