DPChallenge: A Digital Photography Contest You are not logged in. (log in or register
 

DPChallenge Forums >> Current Challenge >> These BALLOONS SCORES are a gas...
Pages:  
Showing posts 126 - 150 of 250, (reverse)
AuthorThread
04/19/2010 11:07:24 AM · #126
Originally posted by Fiora:

Originally posted by giantmike:

Originally posted by PhotoInterest:

Sitting at a 4.4 something.....:(

I don't wanna play anymore.

Either I've lost my touch and don't know what DPC voters want anymore or, I should have joined a DPL team LOL.


I know what you mean. I'm at 4.5 with a shot I really really liked (as did my wife, if that counts for anything). I was wondering if voters are being more harsh because of DPL


I would say the real reason is because there are so many entries, and furthermore, so many GOOD entries. People tend to score lower on Free Studies then small challenges because of the amount of quality entries, and I think this challenge is no exception.
Because there are so many entries, there are going to be a ton of great scores, and a good amount of bad scores as well.

I vote based on image quality, but I also vote based on how good an image is compared to other images in the challenge. For instance in the Lingerie challenge, I gave some images higher scores than I would have otherwise, not because they were brilliantly executed but because they were much better in my opinion than the other entries.
For this challenge, with so many great entries I might give someone a 3 that I would usually give a 4, just because there are so many better ones. Furthermore, while I usually might give a technically well done photo a 5 in challenge, in this challenge I might just give a close up of a balloon tie a 4, just because compared to the other images it is not nearly as imaginative.

Basically, I took the long way around saying that I don't think DPL is lowering scores because people are purposefully voting images down. It is lower because other images are better.


There will never be a consistent method of voting here unfortunately.

Some vote like you. Others give out a single 10 for first, a 9 for second and then bunch all the also-rans with 5s or so.

I vote image quality period and let the chips fall where they may score-wise.
04/19/2010 11:08:32 AM · #127
Voters hate my entry so much, they have to look at it three times. :-D

Votes: 58
Views: 159
Avg Vote: 4.1552
Comments: 6
Favorites: 0
Wish Lists: 0
Updated: 04/19/10 11:07 am
04/19/2010 11:12:50 AM · #128
Originally posted by Strikeslip:

Voters hate my entry so much, they have to look at it three times. :-D


OH! Is THAT ONE yours? :)
04/19/2010 11:14:52 AM · #129
Originally posted by Strikeslip:

Voters hate my entry so much, they have to look at it three times. :-D

It takes small doses to build up enough tolerance to avoid permanent eye damage.
04/19/2010 11:20:32 AM · #130
Originally posted by Strikeslip:

Voters hate my entry so much, they have to look at it three times. :-D

Votes: 58
Views: 159
Avg Vote: 4.1552
Comments: 6
Favorites: 0
Wish Lists: 0
Updated: 04/19/10 11:07 am


Welcome back slippy! We missed you! True we weren't really aiming but still...
04/19/2010 11:32:50 AM · #131
Votes: 63
Views: 102
Avg Vote: 5.3810

yeahh getting better
04/19/2010 11:43:42 AM · #132
Votes: 58
Views: 119
Avg Vote: 5.3621
Comments: 1
Favorites: 0

Hey Slippy! So good to see you back! :-)
04/19/2010 11:45:19 AM · #133
Originally posted by Jutilda:

I'm still voting, but had to say (although I didn't enter) that there are some really great shots here. It's been fun to give out 8's, 9's and 10's. :)


Oooh could I have a 10, please? :-)
04/19/2010 11:46:33 AM · #134
nice to see you back slippy! wait, i don't know slippy (clicks profile)

Votes: 65
Views: 147
Avg Vote: 6.0000
Comments: 5
04/19/2010 12:03:11 PM · #135
Welcome back Slippy! There has been a large gap of smarta$$iness in your absence. (Oh, heck, it ain't a gap, it's a canyon!) Myself and Grog have been trying to keep it filled.
whoopdedoo.gif

Message edited by author 2010-04-19 12:03:40.
04/19/2010 12:09:32 PM · #136
Originally posted by Fiora:

Originally posted by giantmike:

Originally posted by PhotoInterest:

Sitting at a 4.4 something.....:(

I don't wanna play anymore.

Either I've lost my touch and don't know what DPC voters want anymore or, I should have joined a DPL team LOL.


I know what you mean. I'm at 4.5 with a shot I really really liked (as did my wife, if that counts for anything). I was wondering if voters are being more harsh because of DPL


I would say the real reason is because there are so many entries, and furthermore, so many GOOD entries. People tend to score lower on Free Studies then small challenges because of the amount of quality entries, and I think this challenge is no exception.
Because there are so many entries, there are going to be a ton of great scores, and a good amount of bad scores as well.

I vote based on image quality, but I also vote based on how good an image is compared to other images in the challenge. For instance in the Lingerie challenge, I gave some images higher scores than I would have otherwise, not because they were brilliantly executed but because they were much better in my opinion than the other entries.
For this challenge, with so many great entries I might give someone a 3 that I would usually give a 4, just because there are so many better ones. Furthermore, while I usually might give a technically well done photo a 5 in challenge, in this challenge I might just give a close up of a balloon tie a 4, just because compared to the other images it is not nearly as imaginative.

Basically, I took the long way around saying that I don't think DPL is lowering scores because people are purposefully voting images down. It is lower because other images are better.


I vote based on the individual merit of the photo, not how much better another photo compares. If a photo is great, it's great. If it's bad, it's bad. I'm not going to increase the score of a bad photo just because all the rest around it were much worse... Of course, we each have our way of doing things. I do personally believe some people are voting much lower due to the competitive nature of the DPL. Not all,of course, but some. It's the nature of the beast...

Message edited by author 2010-04-19 12:10:32.
04/19/2010 12:10:20 PM · #137
I have a totally different spin. when i click on my thumb i get a different image. i think i'm loosing my mind here or the joke is on.
Originally posted by scalvert:

Originally posted by Strikeslip:

Voters hate my entry so much, they have to look at it three times. :-D

It takes small doses to build up enough tolerance to avoid permanent eye damage.
04/19/2010 12:14:49 PM · #138
Originally posted by hojop25:

Votes: 63
Views: 102
Avg Vote: 5.3810

yeahh getting better


Votes: 70
Views: 112
Avg Vote: 5.4000
04/19/2010 01:42:20 PM · #139
on the rise and great comments + a fav.
I'm happy

Votes: 76
Views: 143
Avg Vote: 6.2368
Comments: 6
Favorites: 1
04/19/2010 02:40:53 PM · #140
Not working out how I expected...
Votes: 82
Views: 136
Avg Vote: 5.0000
Comments: 1
04/19/2010 02:45:14 PM · #141
Originally posted by tehben:

Not working out how I expected...

You and me both.
04/19/2010 03:11:21 PM · #142
Votes: 87
Views: 150
Avg Vote: 5.6552
Comments: 1

Its not too bad. Although i wouldn't mind if it went up... =D
04/19/2010 03:26:30 PM · #143
Votes: 85
Views: 161
Avg Vote: 6.3294

That's looking healthier. I don't score in the 6's often so it would be a nice change.

Message edited by author 2010-04-19 15:27:17.
04/19/2010 03:31:46 PM · #144
Not seeing any excessive generosity over here. I didn't think it was this bad, but the trend is moving toward a sub 5 soon.
04/19/2010 03:37:18 PM · #145
In the mood to self-DQ, but won't. Sigh. Sub-5 it is! I think I'm rockin' the sub-5s this year.
04/19/2010 03:40:03 PM · #146
I've lost roughly .2 points in the last four votes and that was with an admitted 8 vote. Some harsh voting going on right now.
Votes: 88
Views: 150
Avg Vote: 6.1932
Comments: 4
04/19/2010 04:09:21 PM · #147
Originally posted by blad:

I have a totally different spin. when i click on my thumb i get a different image. i think i'm loosing my mind here or the joke is on.
Originally posted by scalvert:

Originally posted by Strikeslip:

Voters hate my entry so much, they have to look at it three times. :-D

It takes small doses to build up enough tolerance to avoid permanent eye damage.


refresh your screen. You'd think it does it automatically, but it doesn't.
04/19/2010 04:13:21 PM · #148
After 78 votes, I'm back under 5. My worst entry at DPC ever...... *sigh*
04/19/2010 04:21:01 PM · #149
Originally posted by AJHopp:

After 78 votes, I'm back under 5. My worst entry at DPC ever...... *sigh*


WOW! Never a sub-5??? I might as well just quit now.
04/19/2010 04:23:39 PM · #150
Originally posted by HawkeyeLonewolf:

Originally posted by AJHopp:

After 78 votes, I'm back under 5. My worst entry at DPC ever...... *sigh*


WOW! Never a sub-5??? I might as well just quit now.


:-) My thoughts exactly!
Pages:  
Current Server Time: 07/18/2018 09:31:52 AM

Please log in or register to post to the forums.


Home - Challenges - Community - League - Photos - Cameras - Lenses - Learn - Prints! - Help - Terms of Use - Privacy - Top ^
DPChallenge, and website content and design, Copyright © 2001-2018 Challenging Technologies, LLC.
All digital photo copyrights belong to the photographers and may not be used without permission.
Proudly hosted by Sargasso Networks. Current Server Time: 07/18/2018 09:31:52 AM EDT.