DPChallenge: A Digital Photography Contest You are not logged in. (log in or register
 

Threads will be shown in descending order for the remainder of this session. To permanently display posts in this order, adjust your preferences.
DPChallenge Forums >> Current Challenge >> Is your SCORE GOLD on GOLD, or sinking like LEAD?
Pages:  
Showing posts 1 - 25 of 74, descending (reverse)
AuthorThread
10/03/2012 07:11:03 AM · #1
Originally posted by Cory:

Originally posted by vawendy:

Originally posted by Cory:

Not a great day of voting for me! :)

Votes: 142
Views: 262
Avg Vote: 6.1338
Comments: 3


You still beat me by two places, though. :)


Yeah, but your prediction of 14th place was generous...

Still, not bad for the first appearance of the S10 in a challenge in almost 8 years. :)


The prediction of 14th place was for a 6.3.

Ok -- now I have to see what 14th place score.

Hang on....

Oh well -- 14th was a 6.18 -- so I was off anyway. :)
10/03/2012 12:27:03 AM · #2
Originally posted by vawendy:

Originally posted by Cory:

Not a great day of voting for me! :)

Votes: 142
Views: 262
Avg Vote: 6.1338
Comments: 3


You still beat me by two places, though. :)


Yeah, but your prediction of 14th place was generous...

Still, not bad for the first appearance of the S10 in a challenge in almost 8 years. :)
10/03/2012 12:18:15 AM · #3
Originally posted by Cory:

Not a great day of voting for me! :)

Votes: 142
Views: 262
Avg Vote: 6.1338
Comments: 3


You still beat me by two places, though. :)
10/02/2012 11:59:47 PM · #4
Not a great day of voting for me! :)

Votes: 142
Views: 262
Avg Vote: 6.1338
Comments: 3
10/02/2012 11:52:59 PM · #5
Originally posted by Cory:

My henchmen apparently were confused as to who to vote up, and who to vote down...

Votes: 128
Views: 244
Avg Vote: 6.2188
Comments: 3


Been getting some knocks myself today. :(
10/02/2012 11:19:13 AM · #6
My henchmen apparently were confused as to who to vote up, and who to vote down...

Votes: 128
Views: 244
Avg Vote: 6.2188
Comments: 3
10/02/2012 10:58:21 AM · #7
Originally posted by klkitchens:

Thanks to whomever just bumped my score...


You're welcome :)

Well, I did bump some scores about that time so maybe . . .
10/02/2012 10:55:54 AM · #8
Originally posted by klkitchens:

Originally posted by vawendy:

Originally posted by Cory:

Votes: 88
Views: 172
Avg Vote: 6.3750
Comments: 1

-----

Votes: 89
Views: 173
Avg Vote: 6.3933
Comments: 1


Your henchmen found me!!

6.11 :(


haha! In my dreams. :)

Based on the scores reported here, that might still be top 5!

10/02/2012 10:39:10 AM · #9
Originally posted by vawendy:

Originally posted by Cory:

Votes: 88
Views: 172
Avg Vote: 6.3750
Comments: 1

-----

Votes: 89
Views: 173
Avg Vote: 6.3933
Comments: 1


Your henchmen found me!!

6.11 :(


Based on the scores reported here, that might still be top 5!
10/02/2012 10:21:53 AM · #10
Originally posted by Cory:

Votes: 88
Views: 172
Avg Vote: 6.3750
Comments: 1

-----

Votes: 89
Views: 173
Avg Vote: 6.3933
Comments: 1


Your henchmen found me!!

6.11 :(
10/02/2012 09:37:34 AM · #11
Thanks to whomever just bumped my score...
09/28/2012 11:59:33 PM · #12
Votes: 88
Views: 172
Avg Vote: 6.3750
Comments: 1

-----

Votes: 89
Views: 173
Avg Vote: 6.3933
Comments: 1

Message edited by author 2012-09-29 01:31:02.
09/28/2012 09:17:37 PM · #13
Originally posted by Denielle:

don't forget, its VENSERDOME in a monster truck rally voice.

Damn skippy! It helps if you flex while saying it.
09/28/2012 06:15:28 PM · #14
Originally posted by BrennanOB:

Originally posted by Cory:

Sure it'll be below the fold, but c'mon - I was using a $9.99 camera. I feel really good about this score!


Come the Venserdome, we have to average out past photographer performance in the martix od=f scoring and add in a divisor of camera cost. $9.99 for the WIN!


don't forget, its VENSERDOME in a monster truck rally voice.
09/28/2012 05:53:00 PM · #15
Originally posted by Cory:

Sure it'll be below the fold, but c'mon - I was using a $9.99 camera. I feel really good about this score!


Come the Venserdome, we have to average out past photographer performance in the martix od=f scoring and add in a divisor of camera cost. $9.99 for the WIN!
09/28/2012 05:48:48 PM · #16
Originally posted by BrennanOB:

Originally posted by Cory:

Speaking of metal, I'm still feeling pretty golden:

Votes: 84
Views: 165
Avg Vote: 6.3452
Comments: 1


I think Wendy was a bit harsh at 14th but i can't see 6.3 as higher than below the fold, there is some nice work in this one.

Votes: 88
Views: 158
Avg Vote: 6.2614
Comments: 1
Good for the second page by my guess.


Sure it'll be below the fold, but c'mon - I was using a $9.99 camera. I feel really good about this score!
09/28/2012 05:42:17 PM · #17
Originally posted by Cory:

Speaking of metal, I'm still feeling pretty golden:

Votes: 84
Views: 165
Avg Vote: 6.3452
Comments: 1


I think Wendy was a bit harsh at 14th but i can't see 6.3 as higher than below the fold, there is some nice work in this one.

Votes: 88
Views: 158
Avg Vote: 6.2614
Comments: 1
Good for the second page by my guess.
09/28/2012 05:31:59 PM · #18
Speaking of metal, I'm still feeling pretty golden:

Votes: 84
Views: 165
Avg Vote: 6.3452
Comments: 1
09/28/2012 03:38:13 PM · #19
Originally posted by JamesDowning:

Originally posted by Cory:

With that being said? I have to again emphasize that this isn't an art contest - it's a themed photo contest, following the theme is part and parcel IMO, if it says "Have a banana in your shot" I expect a banana, and I expect to be able to recognize it as such, at least it should give me the feeling of banananess.


Ok, but this isn't the banana challenge. This is metal on metal... and it doesn't have any explicit description of what must be included. Seems to be it's pretty open ended.


As long as it includes that metallic metalliness...
09/28/2012 03:33:24 PM · #20
Originally posted by Cory:

With that being said? I have to again emphasize that this isn't an art contest - it's a themed photo contest, following the theme is part and parcel IMO, if it says "Have a banana in your shot" I expect a banana, and I expect to be able to recognize it as such, at least it should give me the feeling of banananess.


Ok, but this isn't the banana challenge. This is metal on metal... and it doesn't have any explicit description of what must be included. Seems to be it's pretty open ended.
09/28/2012 03:29:30 PM · #21
im getting more adventurous with my entries and enjoying it :)

i used to be very literal but after a year on here finding my feet :)

09/28/2012 03:01:03 PM · #22
Originally posted by posthumous:

Originally posted by h2:

That's rhetorical and doesn't make any sense. The argumentum e contrario is not valid in this case. As you well know, art is not something that can be placed in a photograph. But feel free to make your photo artistic, as long as there's a banana (two metal objects, negative space, a candid portrait - you get the point) visible. Some tried, but either they failed or there's simply not the public on dpc that honors it.


I want to be clear that I don't start pouty threads about how low my scores are. I accept the reality of DPC voters. That doesn't mean I have to come up with some rationalization for them.

The artistic approach questions and plays with rules. If the topic of the challenge is approached in a playful way, even if it is not literally being followed, I do not deduct for that. I see no reason to. If it's done in an interesting way, I will even reward it with more points.

Art is not a banana. There's more than one way to peel it.


If you were a student, and took the approach you do here, I'd hope that the instructor would fail you about 85% of the time - simply for failure to follow instructions.

You may assure me that art is not a banana, but I ask you, what can't a banana be art? Why must I be unable to recognize a banana in a banana contest in order for it to fit your definition of art?

*shrug* I personally find art to be many things, but the most important thing it is, to me, is a process of exploration and discovery, which means never restricting it to a particular anything, for me art is the well crafted stock shot as much as the blurry beauty that I occasionally see or create - art is as much a process as a something in my mind.....

With that being said? I have to again emphasize that this isn't an art contest - it's a themed photo contest, following the theme is part and parcel IMO, if it says "Have a banana in your shot" I expect a banana, and I expect to be able to recognize it as such, at least it should give me the feeling of banananess.

I understand playing with the rules, I understand questioning the rules - but playing with, and questioning are not quite the same as disregarding.
09/28/2012 02:43:29 PM · #23
Originally posted by h2:

That's rhetorical and doesn't make any sense. The argumentum e contrario is not valid in this case. As you well know, art is not something that can be placed in a photograph. But feel free to make your photo artistic, as long as there's a banana (two metal objects, negative space, a candid portrait - you get the point) visible. Some tried, but either they failed or there's simply not the public on dpc that honors it.


I want to be clear that I don't start pouty threads about how low my scores are. I accept the reality of DPC voters. That doesn't mean I have to come up with some rationalization for them.

The artistic approach questions and plays with rules. If the topic of the challenge is approached in a playful way, even if it is not literally being followed, I do not deduct for that. I see no reason to. If it's done in an interesting way, I will even reward it with more points.

Art is not a banana. There's more than one way to peel it.
09/28/2012 02:30:18 PM · #24
Originally posted by vawendy:

Originally posted by Cory:

Votes: 77
Views: 157
Avg Vote: 6.3377
Comments: 1


You're really starting to pull away -- I was at 6.24 when you posted.

Votes: 79
Views: 161
Avg Vote: 6.2785
Comments: 3


Well, at least you're making up some ground...

Votes: 81
Views: 162
Avg Vote: 6.3457
Comments: 1
09/28/2012 02:17:46 PM · #25
Originally posted by Cory:

Votes: 77
Views: 157
Avg Vote: 6.3377
Comments: 1


You're really starting to pull away -- I was at 6.24 when you posted.

Votes: 79
Views: 161
Avg Vote: 6.2785
Comments: 3
Pages:  
Current Server Time: 09/21/2021 01:30:06 AM

Please log in or register to post to the forums.


Home - Challenges - Community - League - Photos - Cameras - Lenses - Learn - Prints! - Help - Terms of Use - Privacy - Top ^
DPChallenge, and website content and design, Copyright © 2001-2021 Challenging Technologies, LLC.
All digital photo copyrights belong to the photographers and may not be used without permission.
Proudly hosted by Sargasso Networks. Current Server Time: 09/21/2021 01:30:06 AM EDT.