DPChallenge: A Digital Photography Contest You are not logged in. (log in or register
 

DPChallenge Forums >> Rant >> 439 discrepancies
Pages:  
Showing posts 1 - 25 of 102, (reverse)
AuthorThread
11/11/2010 04:12:27 PM · #1
Found an article on a secular website, and thought many here would appreciate seeing it:

What the Bible Got Wrong

Here are the first few lines of the article:

"The Bible was wrong. For evidence look to, well, the Bible.

Such is the conclusion of this stunning, provocative infographic, which maps contradictions in the Bible, from whether thou shalt not commit adultery down to the color of Jesusís robes...
"

Read. Discuss. Enjoy.
11/11/2010 04:17:25 PM · #2
Where's my 11 foot pole...
11/11/2010 04:21:14 PM · #3
This one would fall into the category: 'My mind is made up...Don't confuse me with facts". :O)

I love fireworks.

Ray

11/11/2010 04:24:59 PM · #4
THIRD POST !
11/11/2010 04:35:16 PM · #5
oooo. Pretty.
11/11/2010 05:07:35 PM · #6
Here's the link to the full-size PDF; you can zoom in on it and see the details. Stunning piece of work...

Project Reason Infographic

R.
11/11/2010 06:45:37 PM · #7
Originally posted by Bear_Music:

Here's the link to the full-size PDF; you can zoom in on it and see the details. Stunning piece of work...

Project Reason Infographic

R.

He should make one of these for an Ikea assembly instruction book versus the actual parts.
11/11/2010 07:09:57 PM · #8
Originally posted by Strikeslip:


He should make one of these for an Ikea assembly instruction book versus the actual parts.


I hear you, brother, loud & clear...

R.
11/15/2010 12:45:24 PM · #9
There are some really important ones too, like

355. What must you do to be saved?

mat 5:20, 6:1, 7:1, 7:7-8, 10:22, 12:37, 16.27, 19:30, 25:34-36,
mk 10:31, 13:13, lk 6:24, 6:37, 19:23-24, jn 5:29, rom 2:6, 13, ps 62:12, jer 17:10, 2cor 5:10, 11:15, jam
2:14, 5:1, 1pe 1:17, ezk 18:27, 2thes 2:10, 24:13, 1jn 4:7, rev 2:23, 20:12-13

≠

mat 7:21, 10:42, 18:3,
16:25, 19:17-19, 19:29, 22:14, mk 8:35, 8:38, 9:41, 10:29-30, 16:16, lk 9:24, 10:26, 13:23-24, 18:18-22,
18:29-30, jn 3:3, 3:16, 3:5, 5:24, 6:37, 6:44, 6:50, 9:11, 12:25, 17:33, acts 2:21, 16:31, rom 3:28, 5:1,
8:29-30, 10:9, 10:13, 11:26, 1cor 1:21, 5:1-5, 7:14, 7:16, 15:29, gal 2:16, eph 2:8, jam 2:17, 3:36, 6:40,
6:47, titus 3:5, 1tim 2:14-15, 2tim 2:11, eph 1:4-5, 6:53-54, rev 14:12, 14:4, 22:14
11/15/2010 09:46:54 PM · #10
Originally posted by Bear_Music:

Originally posted by Strikeslip:


He should make one of these for an Ikea assembly instruction book versus the actual parts.


I hear you, brother, loud & clear...

R.


He should make one of these for DPC advice on how to ribbon!
11/15/2010 11:16:44 PM · #11
Pretty original artwork. I guess. As one of the comments on the article stated, "divinely inspired"
//chrisharrison.net/projects/bibleviz/index.html

As pretty as the graphic is...the facts as presented aren't well researched. Matthew listed the verses associated with #355 below and a quick look the references he listed show that the author made some dubious connections.

For example; Harris uses the following verses to show what the bible about salvation,
Luke 6:24
Luke 6:37

Why didn't he also use Luke 6:23 and 6:35? I'm not a smart guy like the rest of you, but I don't see the connection to salvation, let alone the contradiction. The only way I can think to illustrate this group of verses is in this way. I give instruction to my kids, "pick up your toys, obey your mom, don't chew with your mouth open, etc." But their obedience to my "teachings" is not the path to my inheritance. I see these verses similarly, Jesus is offering principles for living, not instructions for eternal salvation.

And to nitpick--fastcodesign.com should do a little fact checking of their own.

Go ahead, jump me like a pack of dogs. :)
11/15/2010 11:51:16 PM · #12
Originally posted by mpeters:


Go ahead, jump me like a pack of dogs. :)


I do hate it when they jump up and lick your face.
11/16/2010 11:11:21 AM · #13
Most of these discrepancies are not discrepancies at all. If I were to say these two statements:
"The way to keep your car running for a long time is to get the oil changed regularly."
"The way to keep your car running for a long time is to have it inspected by a mechanic often."
You wouldn't think those are contradictions... They are both true, and do not contradict each other. Further, as ' . substr('//www.dpchallenge.com/images/user_icon/21.gif', strrpos('//www.dpchallenge.com/images/user_icon/21.gif', '/') + 1) . ' mpeters pointed out, some of these Bible verses that are referenced in the PDF have nothing to do with the topic they are being attached to.

I thought about sitting here for hours, arguing against some of these, but I decided not to. After looking at a couple of these "discrepancies" and seeing that the creator of this project has no idea what they're talking about, I decided not to waste my time on it.

Ultimately, people are going to believe this propaganda regardless of what I say because it's on the internet. If it's on the internet it must be true!
11/16/2010 12:48:59 PM · #14
Can't see the forest for the trees, eh?
11/16/2010 01:10:17 PM · #15
Originally posted by johnnyphoto:

Ultimately, people are going to believe this propaganda regardless of what I say because it's on the internet. If it's on the internet it must be true!


Delicious irony!
11/16/2010 04:42:33 PM · #16
Originally posted by johnnyphoto:

Most of these discrepancies are not discrepancies at all. If I were to say these two statements:
"The way to keep your car running for a long time is to get the oil changed regularly."
"The way to keep your car running for a long time is to have it inspected by a mechanic often."
You wouldn't think those are contradictions... They are both true, and do not contradict each other. Further, as ' . substr('//www.dpchallenge.com/images/user_icon/21.gif', strrpos('//www.dpchallenge.com/images/user_icon/21.gif', '/') + 1) . ' mpeters pointed out, some of these Bible verses that are referenced in the PDF have nothing to do with the topic they are being attached to.

I thought about sitting here for hours, arguing against some of these, but I decided not to. After looking at a couple of these "discrepancies" and seeing that the creator of this project has no idea what they're talking about, I decided not to waste my time on it.

Ultimately, people are going to believe this propaganda regardless of what I say because it's on the internet. If it's on the internet it must be true!


It isn't worth arguing about because there genuinely are many ways to read the bible. That's why there are very many schisms and sects full of people arguing that their particular interpretation is the right one.

What is slightly bizarre to my mind is your approach which seems to suggest that there might be one accurate and consistent reading of the bible. It is quite clear that there is not - because there are equally well meaning people with equally (un-) convincing arguments for their own interpretation of the same verses. I would have thought that you would be better off (ie have an easier life) acknowledging that you ascribe to one of many alternative ways of reading the bible.

The other thing that is wierd is anyone who claims that they can ascertain the prioritisation of verses. In any long contract one includes a clause that explains in the event of inconsistency which sections are to be read with priority (acknowledging that in any long set of governing rules under multiple authorship there will be inconsistencies). The bible doesn't come with a clause like that - and it means that people make up their own.
11/16/2010 05:12:26 PM · #17
Originally posted by johnnyphoto:

Most of these discrepancies are not discrepancies at all. If I were to say these two statements:
"The way to keep your car running for a long time is to get the oil changed regularly."
"The way to keep your car running for a long time is to have it inspected by a mechanic often."
You wouldn't think those are contradictions... They are both true, and do not contradict each other.


While the comments in themselves might have a grain of truth in them, one at least cannot truly cannot be identified as a bona fide requirement to a vehicle's longevity. I happen to have in my garage a 1948 Alvis TA-14 and can assure you that it has rarely seen a mechanic. Care of a vehicle is NOT the exclusive domain of mechanics.

While truism can an do exist, there does not always exist a link between them... such as in the example you gave.

Ray

Message edited by author 2010-11-16 17:14:01.
11/16/2010 05:40:38 PM · #18
Originally posted by Matthew:

It isn't worth arguing about because there genuinely are many ways to read the bible. That's why there are very many schisms and sects full of people arguing that their particular interpretation is the right one.


If you're going read the bible, the trick is to find the church that God established 2010 years ago. Otherwise you're just like this church:

' . substr('//www.wdtprs.com/images/10_11_16_sign.JPG', strrpos('//www.wdtprs.com/images/10_11_16_sign.JPG', '/') + 1) . '

11/16/2010 05:43:54 PM · #19
Originally posted by Nullix:

If you're going read the bible, the trick is to find the church that God established 2010 years ago.

No god has ever established a church. All were established by humans.
11/16/2010 06:17:20 PM · #20
Originally posted by RayEthier:

I happen to have in my garage a 1948 Alvis TA-14 and can assure you that it has rarely seen a mechanic. Care of a vehicle is NOT the exclusive domain of mechanics.
Ray


What a cool classic. Drophead Coupe

Message edited by author 2010-11-16 18:18:39.
11/16/2010 06:36:24 PM · #21
Originally posted by Nullix:

Originally posted by Matthew:

It isn't worth arguing about because there genuinely are many ways to read the bible. That's why there are very many schisms and sects full of people arguing that their particular interpretation is the right one.


If you're going read the bible, the trick is to find the church that God established 2010 years ago. Otherwise you're just like this church:

' . substr('//www.wdtprs.com/images/10_11_16_sign.JPG', strrpos('//www.wdtprs.com/images/10_11_16_sign.JPG', '/') + 1) . '


Great photo!

However, the trick is probably to find the god (if any) who created the universe 13.8 billion years ago in contemplation of the evolution of man 100k years ago, the establishment of civilisation 12k years ago, and the invention of organised religion 4-5k years ago (and from your perspective later resulted in Christianity 2010 years ago).
11/16/2010 07:06:03 PM · #22
Originally posted by Matthew:

Great photo!

However, the trick is probably to find the god (if any) who created the universe 13.8 billion years ago in contemplation of the evolution of man 100k years ago, the establishment of civilisation 12k years ago, and the invention of organised religion 4-5k years ago (and from your perspective later resulted in Christianity 2010 years ago).


Well yes, but that doesn't make a good sound bite.
11/17/2010 12:27:51 AM · #23
*cough*Rossisaproselyte*cough*
11/17/2010 03:05:12 AM · #24
Originally posted by DrAchoo:

*cough*Rossisaproselyte*cough*


LOL

hmmmm - I'm curious to hear which definition you're using :)
11/18/2010 09:59:12 AM · #25
Originally posted by scalvert:

Originally posted by Nullix:

If you're going read the bible, the trick is to find the church that God established 2010 years ago.

No god has ever established a church. All were established by humans.


Oh good, thanks for clearing that up. Now I can keep my tithe.
Pages:  
Current Server Time: 09/17/2021 01:16:00 AM

Please log in or register to post to the forums.


Home - Challenges - Community - League - Photos - Cameras - Lenses - Learn - Prints! - Help - Terms of Use - Privacy - Top ^
DPChallenge, and website content and design, Copyright © 2001-2021 Challenging Technologies, LLC.
All digital photo copyrights belong to the photographers and may not be used without permission.
Proudly hosted by Sargasso Networks. Current Server Time: 09/17/2021 01:16:00 AM EDT.