DPChallenge: A Digital Photography Contest You are not logged in. (log in or register
 

DPChallenge Forums >> Current Challenge >> Follow your FREE Study scores....
Pages:  
Showing posts 76 - 100 of 178, (reverse)
AuthorThread
02/01/2011 10:21:47 AM · #76
Early numbers looked good -- at least for me. Then my Free Study score went into Free Fall.
02/01/2011 10:22:50 AM · #77
Bah!

Votes: 30
Views: 44
Avg Vote: 5.3667

02/01/2011 10:25:16 AM · #78
Votes: 35
Views: 53
Avg Vote: 6.2286
Comments: 1
02/01/2011 10:25:24 AM · #79

Votes: 25
Views: 43
Avg Vote: 4.3200
Comments: 0

I am really surprised by this. Something must be wrong that I didn't notice, but no comments yet to help me understand.
02/01/2011 10:26:37 AM · #80
Originally posted by GiorgioBaruffi:

Hi Niall... your tools is only for windows I imagine... :-(

I'm afraid so.
But, I want this program to be open source and platform independent (the lbraries I'm using are that)... so in the future (when I'm satisfied of its stability) I'll be releasing the source code of it, so hopefully some folk will be able to build a version that works for you!
02/01/2011 11:03:22 AM · #81
Votes: 31
Views: 54
Avg Vote: 6.0968
Comments: 2

quite the dive from 6.5 to this. Now I just hope I can stay above a 6.
02/01/2011 11:39:33 AM · #82
Originally posted by sjhuls:

Votes: 31
Views: 54
Avg Vote: 6.0968
Comments: 2

quite the dive from 6.5 to this. Now I just hope I can stay above a 6.


Votes: 31
Views: 54
Avg Vote: 6.0968
Comments: 0
Favorites: 0
Wish Lists: 0
Updated: 02/01/11 11:38 am

Apart from the 2 comments you have, I'd say we were pretty close at this stage....
02/01/2011 11:43:38 AM · #83
In a slow drop from a lot of 6's. In a freestudy that's blowing everyone away.

Votes: 38
Views: 63
Avg Vote: 6.2105
Comments: 2
02/01/2011 11:51:26 AM · #84
The best thing of a low score is that it cannot go into free fall!
02/01/2011 12:03:14 PM · #85
Originally posted by Ammie:

The best thing of a low score is that it cannot go into free fall!


Love the positive attitude!

I haven't entered in a long time, and I think my pic is way better than a lot of things I have done. I am just in the mindset that I love it, so it doesn't matter what my score is! LOL
02/01/2011 12:07:36 PM · #86
Dropped a lot:

Votes: 35
Views: 62
Avg Vote: 6.4286
Comments: 3
Favorites: 1

Disappointing - I thought this would hold up a bit better. It has been up to 6.9+ but there seems to be a downward trend.
02/01/2011 12:08:07 PM · #87
Votes: 40
Views: 64
Avg Vote: 6.2000
Comments: 1
Favorites: 0
Wish Lists: 0
Updated: 02/01/11 12:04 pm

02/01/2011 12:12:20 PM · #88
6.7 for a little while down to a 5.9 early this morning.
Votes: 33
Views: 55
Avg Vote: 6.1212
Comments: 0
Predicted finish: 6.2-6.3?
02/01/2011 12:21:17 PM · #89
Votes: 37
Views: 57
Avg Vote: 6.2162

Woke up to this. Very pleasant surprise.
02/01/2011 04:13:21 PM · #90
You have rated 303 of 303 images (100%) in this challenge.
You have commented on 36 images (12%) in this challenge.
You have given an average score of 6.0792.

Well done! So many great images!
02/01/2011 04:13:34 PM · #91
Votes: 44
Views: 68
Avg Vote: 6.0909
Comments: 2
Favorites: 0
Wish Lists: 0

Insane. If I get less than a 6 for this photo I'm leaving DPC. It simply isn't a 5.x. Really makes me wonder how the scoring works here sometimes.
02/01/2011 04:35:25 PM · #92
Originally posted by corporation:

Votes: 44
Views: 68
Avg Vote: 6.0909
Comments: 2
Favorites: 0
Wish Lists: 0

Insane. If I get less than a 6 for this photo I'm leaving DPC. It simply isn't a 5.x. Really makes me wonder how the scoring works here sometimes.


Scoring i n a FS works like this...landscapes will dominate the top of the charts. Not just any landscape it has to have some drama!
If you enter a portrait it has to be on the level of Librodo style ( crystal clear eyes, headwear,or great expression within the portrait) or you have to settle for a mid range score.
Bugs have to be colorful and super tack sharp with plenty of detail..see ' . substr('//www.dpchallenge.com/images/user_icon/21_F.gif', strrpos('//www.dpchallenge.com/images/user_icon/21_F.gif', '/') + 1) . ' Roz
Everything else expect no more than a mid to low range score
:) that's how I see it.

02/01/2011 04:35:54 PM · #93
Dropping a bit at a time now. Whoever is voting this afternoon is harder to impress.

Votes: 48
Views: 84
Avg Vote: 6.1667
Comments: 3
02/01/2011 04:41:48 PM · #94
Originally posted by corporation:

Votes: 44
Views: 68
Avg Vote: 6.0909
Comments: 2
Favorites: 0
Wish Lists: 0

Insane. If I get less than a 6 for this photo I'm leaving DPC. It simply isn't a 5.x. Really makes me wonder how the scoring works here sometimes.


Free studies score about .5 lower than regular challenges, simply because of two reasons:

Competition is incredible fierce.

People vote on what they like and so it's more spread out. For instance, if there's a wildlife challenge, everyone (well, almost everyone) is voting on the quality of the wildlife photo itself, not whether or not they like wildlife. Yet in a free study, some like portraits better than wildlife, and vote appropriately, some like landscapes, some are partial to architectural shots. So the votes are more spread out.
02/01/2011 04:42:20 PM · #95
Originally posted by LVicari:

Scoring i n a FS works like this... Etc.

Well said. The feedback I got on mine prior to the challenge suggested I nailed a first rate shot, but in a freestudy you have to totally blow people away just for them to say "It's decent". I usually figure what something gets in a freestudy is roughly .50 lower than what it might get in another challenge. Since there is no limitation on subject matter and you have a month to prepare, expectations are very high.

If you want to come in at the top of a freestudy, impressive mountainous landscapes or rocky seaside shots are the surest ticket. Don't let a sub-6 in a freestudy get you down. (Now I'll try not to complain too much about mine dropping!)
02/01/2011 05:02:11 PM · #96
After peaking at 5.6, the slide has started.

Votes: 44
Views: 66
Avg Vote: 5.4318
Comments: 3
Favorites: 1

And now somebody gave me a 1:

Votes: 45
Views: 67
Avg Vote: 5.3333
Comments: 3
Favorites: 1

Message edited by author 2011-02-01 17:07:03.
02/01/2011 05:08:26 PM · #97
Originally posted by Yo_Spiff:

Originally posted by LVicari:

Scoring i n a FS works like this... Etc.

Well said. The feedback I got on mine prior to the challenge suggested I nailed a first rate shot, but in a freestudy you have to totally blow people away just for them to say "It's decent". I usually figure what something gets in a freestudy is roughly .50 lower than what it might get in another challenge. Since there is no limitation on subject matter and you have a month to prepare, expectations are very high.

If you want to come in at the top of a freestudy, impressive mountainous landscapes or rocky seaside shots are the surest ticket. Don't let a sub-6 in a freestudy get you down. (Now I'll try not to complain too much about mine dropping!)


I guess I'll have to take that into consideration. Regardless, it's frustrating when you take a photo that's well received by everyone in real life, they want prints of it, etc... then on DPC you are sitting at a 6/10. I'm sure you guys have all been through this.
02/01/2011 05:08:41 PM · #98
same here, just got a 1...some a-hole is dropping some major hate. grrrrrr
02/01/2011 05:10:10 PM · #99
just got a ' . substr('//www.dpchallenge.com/images/user_icon/21.gif', strrpos('//www.dpchallenge.com/images/user_icon/21.gif', '/') + 1) . ' SJCarter comment....at least someone likes my picture...Thank you Jimmy (unless you lied...snort)

Votes: 43
Views: 66
Avg Vote: 5.5581
Comments: 1
02/01/2011 05:11:33 PM · #100
Originally posted by corporation:

it's frustrating when you take a photo that's well received by everyone in real life, they want prints of it, etc... then on DPC you are sitting at a 6/10. I'm sure you guys have all been through this.

Oh, yes! Generally speaking, something that can pull over a 5.5 on DPC is the sort of photo that will have your friends and relatives wowing about what a great photographer you are and that you missed your calling to shoot for National Geographic.
Pages:  
Current Server Time: 11/24/2020 12:42:32 AM

Please log in or register to post to the forums.


Home - Challenges - Community - League - Photos - Cameras - Lenses - Learn - Prints! - Help - Terms of Use - Privacy - Top ^
DPChallenge, and website content and design, Copyright © 2001-2020 Challenging Technologies, LLC.
All digital photo copyrights belong to the photographers and may not be used without permission.
Proudly hosted by Sargasso Networks. Current Server Time: 11/24/2020 12:42:32 AM EST.