DPChallenge: A Digital Photography Contest You are not logged in. (log in or register
 

DPChallenge Forums >> Challenge Suggestions >> Best iPhone or SmartPhone Photo
Pages:  
Showing posts 26 - 50 of 50, (reverse)
AuthorThread
04/12/2011 02:01:16 PM · #26
Here's a good example. I was leading a group of hikers in RMNP this morning. I was not able to carry my camera gear. But, I did have my iPhone 3GS with me. The sky developed some wonderful clouds. I used the Camera+ app to capture a scenery image (not the native iPhone camera app). It's not a great image, but I'm glad I had the iPhone along.
' . substr('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/50000-54999/54446/120/Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_946012.jpg', strrpos('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/50000-54999/54446/120/Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_946012.jpg', '/') + 1) . '

I did create a ticket and sent it in to SC or Admin for an opinion as to whether the "master" image would meet validation criteria for any challenge. I'll let you know of any response.
04/12/2011 04:18:43 PM · #27
Originally posted by mike_311:

Originally posted by bspurgeon:

Mike, it does not need to be an added feature app, most of those are not challenge legal anyway.


im calling the camera itself an added feature to my phone, becuase that's basically what it is. i bought my phone becuase its a phone first, internet device second, mp3 player third, gps fourth, camera last.


So don't enter the challenge. Nobody's going to miss you.

It would be a challenge for people that want to enter anyway. Not every challenge has to be accessible or wanted by everyone.
04/12/2011 05:07:34 PM · #28
Originally posted by K10DGuy:



So don't enter the challenge. Nobody's going to miss you.



its a challenge suggestion thread. where people suggest challenges. its an open debate whether or not its good, if there are enough detractors it probbaly wont get picked.

if this topic is picked, i wont enter, nor will i complain about it or leave the site. i'm merely giving my opinion why i don't like the restriction of hardware.
04/12/2011 05:11:03 PM · #29
Originally posted by JustinM:

Therefore instead of limiting the challenge and restricting the gear you use, why not create the "genre" and make it the challenge topic. Challenge title: Cell Phone Photography. And the photographers can use any hardware they choose, yet the final product should relic and portray this "new genre" aka "cell phone photography"

That's a very good idea.
04/12/2011 10:49:20 PM · #30
Why advanced editing? I think it would be more fun if it was Basic or even minimal. Instead of putting the advanced spin on it and having to deal with the comments about overediting and the like, lets make the photographers take the best picture they can using lighting setups, reflectors, etc. I have taken many good pics with my iPhone that I would consider posting if this challenge went through.
04/12/2011 10:59:58 PM · #31
Originally posted by Louis:

Originally posted by JustinM:

Therefore instead of limiting the challenge and restricting the gear you use, why not create the "genre" and make it the challenge topic. Challenge title: Cell Phone Photography. And the photographers can use any hardware they choose, yet the final product should relic and portray this "new genre" aka "cell phone photography"

That's a very good idea.


First we need to define what does a cell phone image look like?

At times it's hard to differentiate them from some point and shoots. I also think it would be a challenge to use a DSLR to produce a cell phone look. I suppose high iso, small aperture, and find a way to "screw:" up the contrast and you are on your way!

I enjoy using my iPhone.

A few examples <native app, Nik Silver for BW conversion>

' . substr('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/50000-54999/54645/120/Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_930910.jpg', strrpos('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/50000-54999/54645/120/Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_930910.jpg', '/') + 1) . ' ' . substr('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/50000-54999/54645/120/Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_940358.jpg', strrpos('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/50000-54999/54645/120/Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_940358.jpg', '/') + 1) . ' ' . substr('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/50000-54999/54645/120/Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_921685.jpg', strrpos('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/50000-54999/54645/120/Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_921685.jpg', '/') + 1) . ' ' . substr('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/50000-54999/54645/120/Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_868952.jpg', strrpos('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/50000-54999/54645/120/Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_868952.jpg', '/') + 1) . '

04/19/2011 12:53:49 PM · #32
Originally posted by hahn23:

Here's a good example. I was leading a group of hikers in RMNP this morning. I was not able to carry my camera gear. But, I did have my iPhone 3GS with me. The sky developed some wonderful clouds. I used the Camera+ app to capture a scenery image (not the native iPhone camera app). It's not a great image, but I'm glad I had the iPhone along.
' . substr('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/50000-54999/54446/120/Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_946012.jpg', strrpos('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/50000-54999/54446/120/Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_946012.jpg', '/') + 1) . '

I did create a ticket and sent it in to SC or Admin for an opinion as to whether the "master" image would meet validation criteria for any challenge. I'll let you know of any response.

Important SC response to my ticket:

"Unfortunately, the Camera+ app doesn't preserve the complete EXIF, so we can't consider it a valid original. The general rule of thumb is that only the native camera app itself is capable of producing valid originals. Obviously, other apps can be used for the editing stages, just not for the initial capture."

This is now clear.
04/19/2011 01:07:47 PM · #33
Thanks for sharing that Richard.
04/19/2011 01:10:40 PM · #34
Originally posted by bspurgeon:



At times it's hard to differentiate them from some point and shoots. I also think it would be a challenge to use a DSLR to produce a cell phone look.


not really, just set the shutter to 1/20 and light your subject with a bright led flashlight.
04/29/2011 12:04:53 AM · #35
Camera Phone Challenge

Yay.

Message edited by author 2011-04-29 00:05:44.
04/29/2011 12:29:02 AM · #36
The humble phone-cam has finally graduated from side challenge obscurity! Looking forward to this one.
04/29/2011 12:47:08 AM · #37
"13 days and 23 hours left"

I need to find my cellphone with the camera that I don't use to make calls anymore ;)
04/29/2011 01:11:15 AM · #38
Good timing, I just upgraded my old phone yesterday!
04/29/2011 08:39:39 AM · #39
It'll be interesting to see the proportions of iphone to Android to other types.
04/29/2011 10:20:57 AM · #40
i changed my mind, i may enter for giggles and the brown.
04/29/2011 11:19:15 AM · #41
Now, the biggest question is: Will images shot with apps be allowed? Some weeks ago I sent a ticket to SC asking for pre-validation of a shot taken with Hipstamatic app and they denied...
04/29/2011 12:04:07 PM · #42
I predict that my currently highest rated iPhone 4 photo will no longer be the highest rated iPhone 4 photo in three weeks.

: (
04/29/2011 12:05:41 PM · #43
Originally posted by h2:

Now, the biggest question is: Will images shot with apps be allowed? Some weeks ago I sent a ticket to SC asking for pre-validation of a shot taken with Hipstamatic app and they denied...


For the most part, as hahn23 pointed out earlier, and I received the same reply when I asked, pretty much any app other than the native camera app that came with the phone is a no-no. i predict there will be lots and lots of DQs in this one. They should probably put a note in the challenge description that third party camera apps will likely lead to a DQ.

Message edited by author 2011-04-29 12:07:12.
04/29/2011 12:23:02 PM · #44
I suspect that's why it's two weeks. Maybe they are expecting validation requests.
04/29/2011 12:39:27 PM · #45
Originally posted by larryslights:

I predict that my currently highest rated iPhone 4 photo will no longer be the highest rated iPhone 4 photo in three weeks.

: (

I had planned on submitting to one of the current challenges (square crop/bank/shot glass) with a phone pic because nobody has submitted an SGS shot yet so I could have the highest rated shot. I'm guessing that won't last now.
04/29/2011 12:56:25 PM · #46
Originally posted by hahn23:

Originally posted by hahn23:

Here's a good example. I was leading a group of hikers in RMNP this morning. I was not able to carry my camera gear. But, I did have my iPhone 3GS with me. The sky developed some wonderful clouds. I used the Camera+ app to capture a scenery image (not the native iPhone camera app). It's not a great image, but I'm glad I had the iPhone along.
' . substr('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/50000-54999/54446/120/Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_946012.jpg', strrpos('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/50000-54999/54446/120/Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_946012.jpg', '/') + 1) . '

I did create a ticket and sent it in to SC or Admin for an opinion as to whether the "master" image would meet validation criteria for any challenge. I'll let you know of any response.

Important SC response to my ticket:

"Unfortunately, the Camera+ app doesn't preserve the complete EXIF, so we can't consider it a valid original. The general rule of thumb is that only the native camera app itself is capable of producing valid originals. Obviously, other apps can be used for the editing stages, just not for the initial capture."

This is now clear.


hmmmmm.... so how do I load a picture into my camera so I can process it with Hipstamatic?
05/01/2011 09:05:29 PM · #47
Despite the fact that other camera apps may not take qualified images for the upcoming phone challenge, does anyone know of a camera app that allows manual control of the aperture and/or shutter speed for the iphone?
05/03/2011 08:19:02 AM · #48
Originally posted by briantammy:

Despite the fact that other camera apps may not take qualified images for the upcoming phone challenge, does anyone know of a camera app that allows manual control of the aperture and/or shutter speed for the iphone?


Not found exactly that but I've been trying Pro Camera (Lite) which you can tap once to set focus point and tap twice for exposure point so it's a little more control
05/03/2011 08:39:22 AM · #49
Originally posted by PennyStreet:

...hmmmmm.... so how do I load a picture into my camera so I can process it with Hipstamatic?


While it's possible to transfer an image from other devices to your camera, these would not have the phone's native camera EXIF data attached. So, to answer you question (for the purposes of the camera phone challenge), the best way to load a photo into your camera is to capture an image with your native camera app. Then, you will have an original image with the required validation file. Move a copy of that to Hipstamatic and have fun. It's true you won't be able to capture images in Hipstamatic, but you should be able to apply the effects to the copy of the image captured with the native camera app.
05/03/2011 10:43:29 AM · #50
I participated in the side challenge last year too, and it was so much fun! I found myself pulling out my Android phone everywhere...it was amazing what photos we all took!! Here are some of my better photos from that side challenge

' . substr('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/10000-14999/14593/120/Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_907945.jpg', strrpos('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/10000-14999/14593/120/Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_907945.jpg', '/') + 1) . ' ' . substr('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/10000-14999/14593/120/Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_907834.jpg', strrpos('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/10000-14999/14593/120/Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_907834.jpg', '/') + 1) . ' ' . substr('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/10000-14999/14593/120/Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_907837.jpg', strrpos('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/10000-14999/14593/120/Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_907837.jpg', '/') + 1) . ' ' . substr('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/10000-14999/14593/120/Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_911015.jpg', strrpos('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/10000-14999/14593/120/Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_911015.jpg', '/') + 1) . ' ' . substr('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/10000-14999/14593/120/Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_907500.jpg', strrpos('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/10000-14999/14593/120/Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_907500.jpg', '/') + 1) . '' . substr('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/10000-14999/14593/120/Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_907517.jpg', strrpos('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/10000-14999/14593/120/Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_907517.jpg', '/') + 1) . '

Pages:  
Current Server Time: 11/25/2020 08:23:43 PM

Please log in or register to post to the forums.


Home - Challenges - Community - League - Photos - Cameras - Lenses - Learn - Prints! - Help - Terms of Use - Privacy - Top ^
DPChallenge, and website content and design, Copyright © 2001-2020 Challenging Technologies, LLC.
All digital photo copyrights belong to the photographers and may not be used without permission.
Proudly hosted by Sargasso Networks. Current Server Time: 11/25/2020 08:23:43 PM EST.