DPChallenge: A Digital Photography Contest You are not logged in. (log in or register
 

DPChallenge Forums >> General Discussion >> iphone app for DPC???
Pages:  
Showing posts 1 - 18 of 18, (reverse)
AuthorThread
05/01/2011 09:49:17 PM · #1
I don't know about you, but I log onto the website about 30 times a day via my iPhone to check my score... it would be nice to have an app that maybe pushes your score to you every hour?... or even one that just shows your current entry pane...

just so that I wouldn't have to log on and pinch zoom in every time I want to check the score... I'd even pay $5 for it (to supplement the cost of the time to create it...)

any other interest in this???

.

Message edited by author 2011-05-01 21:49:39.
05/01/2011 10:10:04 PM · #2
I brought this up some time ago. I can likely design a simple one for google/Android. However, I think the thread died. For an app to work, it would have to have access to some inner guts of DPC. It is totally up to da Man !

Would be cool though!

Originally posted by Shutter-For-Hire:

I don't know about you, but I log onto the website about 30 times a day via my iPhone to check my score... it would be nice to have an app that maybe pushes your score to you every hour?... or even one that just shows your current entry pane...

just so that I wouldn't have to log on and pinch zoom in every time I want to check the score... I'd even pay $5 for it (to supplement the cost of the time to create it...)

any other interest in this???

.
05/01/2011 11:01:55 PM · #3
True... Would be cool!
05/02/2011 02:06:30 PM · #4
i made a similar recommendation on another thread about a DPC App.
There was no response to the suggestion.

Originally posted by kenskid:

I brought this up some time ago. I can likely design a simple one for google/Android. However, I think the thread died. For an app to work, it would have to have access to some inner guts of DPC. It is totally up to da Man !

Would be cool though!

Originally posted by Shutter-For-Hire:

I don't know about you, but I log onto the website about 30 times a day via my iPhone to check my score... it would be nice to have an app that maybe pushes your score to you every hour?... or even one that just shows your current entry pane...

just so that I wouldn't have to log on and pinch zoom in every time I want to check the score... I'd even pay $5 for it (to supplement the cost of the time to create it...)

any other interest in this???

.
05/02/2011 02:13:19 PM · #5
Originally posted by seenosun:

i made a similar recommendation on another thread about a DPC App.
There was no response to the suggestion.

Originally posted by kenskid:

I brought this up some time ago. I can likely design a simple one for google/Android. However, I think the thread died. For an app to work, it would have to have access to some inner guts of DPC. It is totally up to da Man !

Would be cool though!

Originally posted by Shutter-For-Hire:

I don't know about you, but I log onto the website about 30 times a day via my iPhone to check my score... it would be nice to have an app that maybe pushes your score to you every hour?... or even one that just shows your current entry pane...

just so that I wouldn't have to log on and pinch zoom in every time I want to check the score... I'd even pay $5 for it (to supplement the cost of the time to create it...)

any other interest in this???

.


How about submitting an inquiry through the "Contact Us" area of the website so that the message goes directly to the admins and SC?

It's not realistic to expect the admins to read every thread/post.
05/02/2011 03:33:58 PM · #6
I think it would be cool but I wouldn't pay for it. I'm not that lazy. Clicking safari is not that many more steps. Paying $5.00 because you don't want to use your fingers to zoom? No offense but ....WOW. Now if it were free that's another story. As many clicks for updates that this app would get would be well enough to get people to pay for advertisement on the app. That's where your money in a DPC app would lie.
05/02/2011 04:25:27 PM · #7
I'm in the club of "I mentioned it before as well"
Really, the site could just have a mobile version that would sense when you were using a mobile device and act accordingly ... but an app would be almost as good.

And yes, I would pay a buck or two for it to be able to access my portfolio in a click and to view challenge results and people's portfolios easily -
$1.99 seems like a fair app price for something like that - although it should be free for paying DPC members.

And yes DO make the suggestion via HELP > CONTACT US. This really doesn't seem like much to ask but good luck.

I have also mentioned in forums that new features are rarely added and that DPC has a great deal of success just becuase there are so many people here that love photography.
05/02/2011 04:46:17 PM · #8
Originally posted by tate:

And yes DO make the suggestion via HELP > CONTACT US. This really doesn't seem like much to ask but good luck.

I have also mentioned in forums that new features are rarely added and that DPC has a great deal of success just becuase there are so many people here that love photography.

Or at least put the thread in the Web Site Suggestions section ...
05/02/2011 05:20:10 PM · #9
Originally posted by GeneralE:

Originally posted by tate:

And yes DO make the suggestion via HELP > CONTACT US. This really doesn't seem like much to ask but good luck.

I have also mentioned in forums that new features are rarely added and that DPC has a great deal of success just becuase there are so many people here that love photography.

Or at least put the thread in the Web Site Suggestions section ...


I DID put the suggestion in the "Web Site Suggestions" less than a week ago.

04/26/2011 07:48:42 PM · #8
How about an app that just allowed you to update challenge voting results on the go.
I can do this on my iphone with Safari but it is kind of a pain waiting for the site to load plus resizing the "my submissions" box to a reasonable viewing size. After hitting update the entire page reloads again and you have to go through the resizing process each time.

If an app was created that only contained the info in the "My Submissions" box with an update button it would fit perfectly on the screen and give quick and easy DPChallenge updates when mobile.

//www.dpchallenge.com/forum.php?action=read&FORUM_THREAD_ID=1071510
05/02/2011 05:25:59 PM · #10
You will soon find that and site changes requiring coding -- especially if they involve any sort of "policy" discussion -- proceed at a pace usually described as "glacial," though at the rate global warming is increasing the melt/flow rate of most glaciers we may have to find a new comparison. A week ago? A mere blink of the eye ... if I had to enter a pool I'd expect an app around iPhone VI ... ;-)
05/02/2011 05:56:50 PM · #11
I looked into developing iPhone apps for a while. From what I saw the SDK required the developer to develop on a Mac. Not sure what Langdon uses, but that might be something he'd have to consider. He'd have to sell quite a few apps to justify paying for a Mac, if he's not already using one.

That said, I'd pay $5 for an Android scores widget.
05/02/2011 06:50:13 PM · #12
I bought an iMac to develop iPhone apps.. needless to say it makes an excellent music player :/
05/03/2011 05:42:16 PM · #13
Originally posted by Socom:

I bought an iMac to develop iPhone apps.. needless to say it makes an excellent music player :/


Oops.

I've been looking at Google App Inventor. Looks like a decent setup for making Android apps.
05/03/2011 06:47:46 PM · #14
Originally posted by fotomann_forever:

Originally posted by Socom:

I bought an iMac to develop iPhone apps.. needless to say it makes an excellent music player :/


Oops.

I've been looking at Google App Inventor. Looks like a decent setup for making Android apps.

I've tried a few of the Google App platforms. The one I'm happiest with is the java/eclipse/sdk method. It feels more... real than others. I don't know if that makes sense.
05/03/2011 09:07:44 PM · #15
Personally I'd pay cash money for a universal app that worked on my iPad, which allowed me to upload images for entry, and to my workshop/profile.

I have no desire to jail break, or pirate iPad software. I'd just like to be able to use the darn thing without a computer having to get in the middle of things. As far as "magical" devices go, I'd think it real magical if Steve would let us use them as we wished, instead of as he wished.
05/03/2011 11:54:28 PM · #16
For checking your score, why not when in Safari on DPChallenge and you have your info in the upper L corner (in a contest)
Zoom in to what you want to see on the screen (your score and update button, whatever).
Press the icon on the bottom in the middle, the box with the arrow pointing out.
Choose Add to Home Screen. Name it. Go to the homescreen. Press and hold it till it jiggles. Put it where you want. Press the Home button.
Now when you click on that icon, goes to Safari, keeps the same zoom level and place and (Safari always does it), reloads the page (no submission now to see if it updates the score though)
05/04/2011 10:22:58 AM · #17
The problem, and disincentive, for developing for the app store is from what I've heard they're quite... strict about what's allowed in and not. Also developing's like $90 a year or something insane like that.
For me there's no incentive to develop there because I'd probably get a lot of hassle about why's and what's and how's with no reward for my time developing. It might be a different story if I had an iPhone rather than android...
05/08/2011 12:35:44 PM · #18
Not iPhone, alas, but android users can use my Android app. See here: //www.dpchallenge.com/forum.php?action=read&FORUM_THREAD_ID=1076072
Pages:  
Current Server Time: 11/29/2020 11:14:41 AM

Please log in or register to post to the forums.


Home - Challenges - Community - League - Photos - Cameras - Lenses - Learn - Prints! - Help - Terms of Use - Privacy - Top ^
DPChallenge, and website content and design, Copyright © 2001-2020 Challenging Technologies, LLC.
All digital photo copyrights belong to the photographers and may not be used without permission.
Proudly hosted by Sargasso Networks. Current Server Time: 11/29/2020 11:14:41 AM EST.