DPChallenge: A Digital Photography Contest You are not logged in. (log in or register

DPChallenge Forums >> General Discussion >> Slowly Being Pushed Off The Internet?
Showing posts 1 - 15 of 15, (reverse)
07/05/2012 01:55:56 AM · #1
I was going to post this in a current thread but didn't want to derail it. It was the thread dealing with the photo contest site Pixoto. Anyway, it looks like the only way you can join that site is through Facebook or Twitter. I'm noticing that more and more lately, what's up with that? I'm on neither and probably never will be, so am I slowly going to be pushed off the internet if I refuse to join either Facebook or Twitter? Is this what it's coming to?
07/05/2012 02:48:26 AM · #2
Yes it seams this is the way untill something new comes along. Very scary..
07/05/2012 03:08:05 AM · #3
and this is true not only of photo sites. alumni sites, for example.
07/05/2012 04:49:27 AM · #4
I have no use for either FB or Twitter, I still fail to see the benefit of Twitter especially. To me, trying to get as many people as possible to follow you so you can broadcast your thoughts througout the day is an ego stroke at best. Not to mention celebrities and sports stars seem to spend half their time apologizing for something they tweeted, both sites are a big waste of time imo.
07/05/2012 05:52:11 AM · #5
don't be scared...........it'll all be alright.
07/05/2012 06:02:38 AM · #6
I think it's been estimated that search engines such as Google access between 6% and 10% of the actual internet. The remaining 90% to 94%. is pretty much hidden and is generally known as the Dark or Deep Web. So don't despair. I'm sure you can find a little pocket of the internet somewhere. It might not be very pleasant or smell very nice though.
07/05/2012 12:33:35 PM · #7
I wonder how many members sites like Pixoto lose by making them register through FB and Twitter? And why do they do that anyway? Can't they they also give the option of registering normally through them? I suppose the benefits of doing it that way outweigh the amount of members they lose.
07/05/2012 12:37:09 PM · #8
I hardly ever use my FB account, but what puts me off using it to log onto sites, is that I don't trust them not to post all sorts of shite to my FB timeline or profile or whatever they call it now.
07/05/2012 12:55:02 PM · #9
I know that when I joined pixoto earlier this year I joined normally without the aid of facebook/twitter so it must be a semi-recent change.

Even though I have both facebook/twitter I wouldn't want my internet activity to be everywhere. Some people on facebook have allowed the articles they read on newapapers to appear on their timelines and most of my friends are reading the weirdest stuff ever.

Anyway, as a dormant facebook user I will say that it isn't worth either the negative/positive fuss.
07/05/2012 01:00:55 PM · #10
Just wait until everyone is forced to take the number to participate in the marketplace at all...
07/05/2012 01:27:14 PM · #11
I am considering making a facebook account to use strictly for sites like this, the account will have no friends, no posts, etc.
07/05/2012 01:36:10 PM · #12
We all bundle.... Puppie!
07/05/2012 01:40:30 PM · #13
This is the reason the use for having to log on with FB or Twitter:

Unfortunately you'll have to be a member of one of those services. In order to prevent cheating we use basic information provided by Facebook and Twitter.
07/05/2012 01:45:37 PM · #14
The only reason i have a twitter account (never tweeted mind you) is to subscribe to a few news site's twitter feed... Kind of an rss feed if you wish... but that's it. I can't imagine spending the day tweeting every stupid random thought that may cross my mind.
07/05/2012 02:10:44 PM · #15
I guess I don't understand the problem. There are plenty of other photo sites such as fickr, picasa, etc. Are you talking about contest sites? I don't search for any other than dp, but I do have plenty of ways for my photos to be out there. Between facebook (yes I do have two pages, one personal and one strictly for photography)flickr, my photo blog, my portfolio site, and occasionally Smugmug (not sure if I will renew, but maybe) I have my stuff all over the place. Of course I am not in this for money, as some are. I have a need to share my part of the world, and hope that a photo of mine will brighten somebodies day.
Current Server Time: 03/31/2020 04:38:52 PM

Please log in or register to post to the forums.

Home - Challenges - Community - League - Photos - Cameras - Lenses - Learn - Prints! - Help - Terms of Use - Privacy - Top ^
DPChallenge, and website content and design, Copyright © 2001-2020 Challenging Technologies, LLC.
All digital photo copyrights belong to the photographers and may not be used without permission.
Proudly hosted by Sargasso Networks. Current Server Time: 03/31/2020 04:38:52 PM EDT.