DPChallenge: A Digital Photography Contest You are not logged in. (log in or register
 

DPChallenge Forums >> Current Challenge >> Mystery Word Triptych <> Advanced Editing
Pages:  
Showing posts 1 - 25 of 40, (reverse)
AuthorThread
07/14/2012 01:44:27 PM · #1
any idea how we are supposed to "Capture three separate photographs to combine as a triptych" in Advanced Editing rules??

-mefnj
07/14/2012 02:00:34 PM · #2
There are 5 entries already. Somebody seems to have figured it out.
07/14/2012 02:46:18 PM · #3
someone on the suggestion thread appears to have submitted a SC ticket on July 13, so maybe we'll see a "flag" special rule appear shortly...
07/14/2012 03:19:48 PM · #4
Originally posted by mefnj:

someone on the suggestion thread appears to have submitted a SC ticket on July 13, so maybe we'll see a "flag" special rule appear shortly...


That was me. Sent the ticket to Langdon, who is responsible for that sort of stuff. Have not heard back.

R.
07/14/2012 03:34:44 PM · #5
Given the description, the interpretation I personally will use for now is that there should be a "Special Rules" flag to allow the use of three images taken within the challenge week, one per panel, but that otherwise the Advanced Rules apply, i.e. no compositing of multiple photos as would be the case under Expert Rules ...
07/14/2012 03:52:21 PM · #6
ok enough time has passed without action. time to hurl epithets!
sassa frassin rassin no good humph a lumphin ptooey ptooey ptooey
07/14/2012 03:53:53 PM · #7
(psst.. that is also my mystery word)
07/14/2012 05:53:28 PM · #8
Don't you have to assume Langdon knows what he's doing? If he hasn't changed it by now, he's not going to change it. Anyone figure out how to combine 3 photos of the same scene, taken at the same time, into an interesting triptych conveying one word? I can't! Too difficult for me.
07/14/2012 06:02:08 PM · #9
I'm assuming it's advanced editing for each of the three shots and then put them together for a triptych. I could be wrong but, based on my history, I doubt anybody will ask me for my originals. I hope to come up with something interesting and look forward to voting in this one.
07/14/2012 07:39:14 PM · #10
You can't put 3 different shots together into a triptych under advanced editing. It's against the rules. It has to be 3 of the same shot, like you would do for HDR.

You may "create your entry from 1-10 captures of a single scene (defined as a scene whose composition/framing does not change). All captures used must be shot within the challenge submission dates."

You may NOT "combine captures of different scenes, move or change a feature between frames, or combine different captures to create a new scene."

It does not say "unless creating a triptych."

Message edited by author 2012-07-14 19:54:10.
07/14/2012 08:35:09 PM · #11
Originally posted by pixelpig:

You can't put 3 different shots together into a triptych under advanced editing. It's against the rules. It has to be 3 of the same shot, like you would do for HDR.

You may "create your entry from 1-10 captures of a single scene (defined as a scene whose composition/framing does not change). All captures used must be shot within the challenge submission dates."

You may NOT "combine captures of different scenes, move or change a feature between frames, or combine different captures to create a ting with new scene."

It does not say "unless creating a triptych."


What you are saying is not what a triptych is... I'm sure it will be changed soon to include an
extra rule allow for 3 different photos to be used but under advanced editing rule set
07/14/2012 08:59:26 PM · #12
I am not so sure as you are.
07/14/2012 09:03:18 PM · #13
It says "capture three separate photographs."

Thats clear enough for me. I'm doing three separate photos that are of different scenes (whenever i figure an idea or a word out)
07/14/2012 09:47:10 PM · #14
Three separate photographs under Advanced ruleset means 3 separate photos of the same scene. You may not move or change a feature between frames. The composition or framing may not change. New features may not be created during PP. And so on. All of that is somehow magically suspended just for this one competition? DPC sometimes leaves me feeling very stupid. Oh well, I seem to be the only person who doesn't 'get it.' I will cease & desist as of now & wait to see what happens next & wish everyone the best of luck.
07/14/2012 09:57:57 PM · #15
patience, pixelpig, patience ;-)
shoot like there's no one watching
07/14/2012 10:03:41 PM · #16
Originally posted by pixelpig:

Three separate photographs under Advanced ruleset means 3 separate photos of the same scene. You may not move or change a feature between frames. The composition or framing may not change. New features may not be created during PP. And so on. All of that is somehow magically suspended just for this one competition? DPC sometimes leaves me feeling very stupid. Oh well, I seem to be the only person who doesn't 'get it.' I will cease & desist as of now & wait to see what happens next & wish everyone the best of luck.


I'm going on the notion that it's an oversight. Otherwise, the challenge really doesnt make much sense or serve the purpose of the definition. Plus there have been other triptych challenges, all with the rule exception. Having one photo define your secret word isnt nearly as interestting as 3 separate photos that do it.

So I'm shooting what i think is the intent of the challenge. :D
07/14/2012 11:47:53 PM · #17
I'm sure it will get fixed. Here is the thread with the original request: One Word Triptych

In the suggestion I had asked for this to be placed under advanced editing because I wanted to see shots of real world scenes (as opposed to created ones). I never thought about a triptych as being a part of Expert Editing lol.

Message edited by author 2012-07-14 23:48:01.
07/15/2012 04:01:10 AM · #18
Originally posted by pixelpig:

Don't you have to assume Langdon knows what he's doing? If he hasn't changed it by now, he's not going to change it.

No, I assume he's busy and hasn't either seen this or had time to fix it. See my note previously -- I am taking three photos of three different scenes which all point towards the "secret" word, and combining them into one picture, probably with borders between them ....
07/15/2012 07:54:05 AM · #19
Originally posted by pixelpig:

You can't put 3 different shots together into a triptych under advanced editing.


Well, you can... it would just be very difficult to do. And technically not 3 different "shots", but three different "exposures".

These are all multiple exposures with some overlap... but all a single shutter press. With difficulty you COULD produce images in three different areas even under minimal. :)

' . substr('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_challenge/0-999/868/120/Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_684736.jpg', strrpos('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_challenge/0-999/868/120/Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_684736.jpg', '/') + 1) . '

' . substr('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_challenge/0-999/881/120/Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_693323.jpg', strrpos('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_challenge/0-999/881/120/Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_693323.jpg', '/') + 1) . '

' . substr('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_challenge/0-999/895/120/Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_703751.jpg', strrpos('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_challenge/0-999/895/120/Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_703751.jpg', '/') + 1) . '

' . substr('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_challenge/1000-1999/1202/120/Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_875231.jpg', strrpos('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_challenge/1000-1999/1202/120/Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_875231.jpg', '/') + 1) . '

' . substr('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_challenge/0-999/876/120/Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_688679.jpg', strrpos('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_challenge/0-999/876/120/Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_688679.jpg', '/') + 1) . ' -- This is closest to what I was talking about
07/15/2012 08:33:23 AM · #20
Holy cow! I forgot about this. You do it very well. So, it is possible to do a triptych in one long exposure. That would be a very interesting challenge to vote on, then. Thanks for reminding us.
07/15/2012 11:10:53 AM · #21
Originally posted by pixelpig:

Holy cow! I forgot about this. You do it very well. So, it is possible to do a triptych in one long exposure. That would be a very interesting challenge to vote on, then. Thanks for reminding us.


Well, those aren't triptychs, by definition. A triptych is, in fact, 3 separate images viewed adjacent to each other in a coordinated display. It's a multi-panel work. Traditionally, triptychs were hinged altarpieces... Of course, this is DPC so...

Message edited by author 2012-07-15 11:15:17.
07/15/2012 11:26:01 AM · #22
Not everyone has the benefit of knowing what anything traditional is & to some it's not relevant. In the last diptych challenge, there were quite a few joined seamlessly. It's all interesting. And if we are too stay inside the box of Advanced rules, I don't see any other way to go. Well I suppose it's possible to set up 3 shots like a diorama & get them with one capture....

Message edited by author 2012-07-15 11:29:27.
07/15/2012 11:49:50 AM · #23
Well, if no more entries are submitted, I'm sure to be on the front page. :P


Message edited by author 2012-07-15 12:49:53.
07/15/2012 12:50:01 PM · #24
the recent Diptych challenge was under Expert rules & nobody suffered, as far as I know "D

Good luck to all who enter!

Message edited by author 2012-07-15 12:51:50.
07/15/2012 12:52:33 PM · #25
After a fourth and fifth look, I pulled mine. :(
Pages:  
Current Server Time: 12/04/2020 03:16:09 PM

Please log in or register to post to the forums.


Home - Challenges - Community - League - Photos - Cameras - Lenses - Learn - Prints! - Help - Terms of Use - Privacy - Top ^
DPChallenge, and website content and design, Copyright © 2001-2020 Challenging Technologies, LLC.
All digital photo copyrights belong to the photographers and may not be used without permission.
Proudly hosted by Sargasso Networks. Current Server Time: 12/04/2020 03:16:09 PM EST.