DPChallenge: A Digital Photography Contest You are not logged in. (log in or register
 

DPChallenge Forums >> Photography Discussion >> I just sent my 50D into Canon
Pages:  
Showing posts 1 - 12 of 12, (reverse)
AuthorThread
08/21/2012 07:27:47 PM · #1
Crushed, dropped, and well worn, it's time for some new bits on my 50D.

I expect replacements for the top LCD, rear-body panel, shutter button, and possibly the shutter assembly.

The refused a quote at all over the phone, I'm curious if anyone else has had this sort of work done, any idea what they're gonna quote me on this?

Just realized I should have taken a picture to share....
08/21/2012 07:38:52 PM · #2
Yeah, no pic? Sup wit dat??

I estimate $2500
08/21/2012 07:42:44 PM · #3
Originally posted by Art Roflmao:

Yeah, no pic? Sup wit dat??

I estimate $2500


I'm sure you'd photoshop up a pretty accurate depiction.

Oh, sure, $2500 sounds great, I figure the 50D is totally worth repairing! ;) (call servpro).
08/21/2012 07:44:01 PM · #4
Nikon's policy is that they don't charge for the Dx....and if I (customer) tells them to go ahead with repairs...their min charge is $47 and will not exceed $250 NO MATTER WHAT NEEDS TO BE DONE...that being said I'm planning on sending my D80 in in a few months.
08/21/2012 09:58:14 PM · #5
I've had experience with the Canon factory service center in NJ and each time it was between $300 and $400. They replace anything that needs replacing. If it's too expensive to repair they will probably offer to let you participate in the Canon Loyalty program which means you can buy a 'refurb'ed' camera at a discount. They will explain that there is a very good chance that the 'new to you' camera was overstock from some big box retailer. I got my 7D this way. It has been pretty good although I did send it back for calibration at no charge.
08/24/2012 03:59:51 PM · #6
Well, I had to call them a few times to get everything straight, but in the end, here's the scoop:

They are replacing the broken LCD, the malfunctioning shutter button, fixing or replacing the rear body panel, and replacing the questionably near end of life shutter mechanism, total cost is $385.00... Not at all unreasonable!

I just sent the payment, so I'll have a working 50D again in a week or so. woot.
08/24/2012 09:13:30 PM · #7
Definitely not unreasonable at all! That 50D is still a workhorse, with a new shutter who knows how many good years are left in it? It's hard to believe that in a month my 5D will be seven.
08/24/2012 09:28:10 PM · #8
Originally posted by kirbic:

Definitely not unreasonable at all! That 50D is still a workhorse, with a new shutter who knows how many good years are left in it? It's hard to believe that in a month my 5D will be seven.


For sure...

Interestingly, the rep noted that the 50D is always on backorder and almost never available through the loyalty program.. I wonder why that is? Is it just that good of a camera? Not a lot of refurbs available in the first place? Lots of demand for some reason I don't quite understand?
08/24/2012 09:53:04 PM · #9
You know, for whatever reason, it seems like not all that many 50Ds were sold. Part of it may have been the very short 1-year delay between the introduction of the 40D in 2007 and the 50D in 2008. Another factor may have been the economy. Whatever factors played in, you don't seem to see that many around. There are only 680 owners here at DPC compared to 1792 40D owners (!).
All this matters not, because the 50D was and is a really solid performer.
08/24/2012 09:58:55 PM · #10
Originally posted by kirbic:

You know, for whatever reason, it seems like not all that many 50Ds were sold. Part of it may have been the very short 1-year delay between the introduction of the 40D in 2007 and the 50D in 2008. Another factor may have been the economy. Whatever factors played in, you don't seem to see that many around. There are only 680 owners here at DPC compared to 1792 40D owners (!).
All this matters not, because the 50D was and is a really solid performer.


I think the relatively lower 50D sales had much more to do with the fact that most people knew the 7D was just around the corner if they waited a little longer. That's exactly why I didn't buy a 50D. I had my mind and heart set on the 7D and no matter how bad I wanted to upgrade I just bit the bullet and held out a little longer.

Dave
08/27/2012 05:56:40 PM · #11
I'd be interested in knowing what the fix will cost. I'm thinking about sending my 50D into Canon. It doesn't seem to want to focus on anything that is any distance away. It has this problem no matter the lense, so I know it's my body.
08/27/2012 06:32:16 PM · #12
Originally posted by Cory:

Well, I had to call them a few times to get everything straight, but in the end, here's the scoop:

They are replacing the broken LCD, the malfunctioning shutter button, fixing or replacing the rear body panel, and replacing the questionably near end of life shutter mechanism, total cost is $385.00... Not at all unreasonable!

I just sent the payment, so I'll have a working 50D again in a week or so. woot.


Of course, your repair may vary - but for me there was a $295 service / labor charge, about $75 or so in parts and $15 for shipping.

Message edited by author 2012-08-27 18:33:59.
Pages:  
Current Server Time: 08/18/2022 12:26:29 AM

Please log in or register to post to the forums.


Home - Challenges - Community - League - Photos - Cameras - Lenses - Learn - Prints! - Help - Terms of Use - Privacy - Top ^
DPChallenge, and website content and design, Copyright © 2001-2022 Challenging Technologies, LLC.
All digital photo copyrights belong to the photographers and may not be used without permission.
Proudly hosted by Sargasso Networks. Current Server Time: 08/18/2022 12:26:29 AM EDT.