DPChallenge: A Digital Photography Contest You are not logged in. (log in or register
 

DPChallenge Forums >> Hardware and Software >> walkaround point and shoot
Pages:  
Showing posts 1 - 20 of 20, (reverse)
AuthorThread
03/24/2014 03:39:11 PM · #1
I am in the market for another point and shoot camera. I have a couple, but they really don't take good pictures. (or maybe I'm just too picky).

We are going to Disney next month, and I want to be able to take pictures on the trip. I love my mark and my 30D, but dangomighty that is a heavy bunch of camera to carry around all day. I'd use my iPhone, but I would have no zoom, etc. Also, there are times when I would just like to take snapshots of my kids, etc., and the mark has a way of getting attention when I pull it out (probably because of the small suitcase I call a camera bag I have to carry it in).

Any suggestions? I'm not particular about the brand, and my "requirements" are minimal -- I want good quality pictures from a camera that has good/reasonable zoom and will fit in my pocket or small bag. Would like to keep it around $200, but $325/$350 would probably be the top end of what I want to spend.

I wish my sony 707 still worked. It was a little bigger than what i want, but that was a seriously good little camera.
03/24/2014 04:06:44 PM · #2
Originally posted by karmat:

I am in the market for another point and shoot camera. I have a couple, but they really don't take good pictures. (or maybe I'm just too picky).

We are going to Disney next month, and I want to be able to take pictures on the trip. I love my mark and my 30D, but dangomighty that is a heavy bunch of camera to carry around all day. I'd use my iPhone, but I would have no zoom, etc. Also, there are times when I would just like to take snapshots of my kids, etc., and the mark has a way of getting attention when I pull it out (probably because of the small suitcase I call a camera bag I have to carry it in).

Any suggestions? I'm not particular about the brand, and my "requirements" are minimal -- I want good quality pictures from a camera that has good/reasonable zoom and will fit in my pocket or small bag. Would like to keep it around $200, but $325/$350 would probably be the top end of what I want to spend.

I wish my sony 707 still worked. It was a little bigger than what i want, but that was a seriously good little camera.


The best compact camera I've used, hands down, is the Canon Powershot S110. You can get one new for about $250. The latest version, the S120, is $200 more.

It has the same, larger sensor used in the G series cameras, but is much more pocket friendly.
03/24/2014 04:14:04 PM · #3
Canon S120
Canon S110
Panasonic LX-7

I bought a Panasonic LX-7 and liked it. However, it was just slightly bigger in that it wouldn't fit in my shirt/breast pocket. I then bought a Canon S120 which fits in my shirt pocket.
All three have the slightly larger 1/1.7" sensor. All three shoot RAW.

As Spork99 said, you can't go wrong with the Canon S110.

03/24/2014 05:51:20 PM · #4
thaanks guys. will definitely give those a looksee.

others?
03/24/2014 07:06:39 PM · #5
I'll just weigh in and say that for your budget, the S series Canons are about as good as you can do.
03/25/2014 12:37:43 AM · #6
agree with the Canon too.
03/25/2014 12:56:37 AM · #7
I have an S90, and previously had a G11. Both are mostly the same guts wrapped up in a different body. I agree with the newer S110 or 120 as an excellent choice. Nice optics, and shoots RAW. Get an add-on grip for it as well. Makes it much easier to handle.
03/25/2014 11:11:21 AM · #8
So, if I take away the "pocket caveat" would you still recommend the s110/120?

Any opinions on these?

Fuji finepix S8200 (Discontinued, but can still find it at other places)

Canon Powershot SX510HS

Nikon Coolpix P520 (even if it is a <gasp> nikon)

Canon G15



Message edited by author 2014-03-25 11:17:48.
03/25/2014 11:17:09 AM · #9
if you remove he pocket caveat, get a sony nex
03/25/2014 12:05:42 PM · #10
Originally posted by karmat:

I wish my sony 707 still worked. It was a little bigger than what i want, but that was a seriously good little camera.


You want mine? :P
03/25/2014 12:18:56 PM · #11
Well, off the $$ requirements charts, but Spend the extra money and get an RX100! You won't regret it IQ wise!

$425 used on Amazon, $545 new (RX100 v1, first version)

Message edited by author 2014-03-25 12:21:11.
03/25/2014 12:35:55 PM · #12
Originally posted by Neil:

Well, off the $$ requirements charts, but Spend the extra money and get an RX100! You won't regret it IQ wise!

$425 used on Amazon, $545 new (RX100 v1, first version)


i can second that. i'll have a free study entered taken with it, you wont believe the ability of this camera, especially in low light.
03/25/2014 07:11:26 PM · #13
I had actually looked at one of those and thought about it, but the base price is a bit out of my range, and then I would have to buy another lens, etc. (everything I've read said the kit lens that came with it was a bit slow and soft).
03/25/2014 11:11:08 PM · #14
I really miss my G11 which I gave to my dad. But like has been said, the S series has the same guts. The G series feels like a real camera but actually is heavier to lug than my T1i.
03/25/2014 11:17:40 PM · #15
Originally posted by Zeissman:

But like has been said, the S series has the same guts. The G series feels like a real camera but actually is heavier to lug than my T1i.

For my purposes, I am preferring the S90 to the G11. I keep it in my laptop bag at work, and in my jersey pocket when I am riding by bicycle. The S90 handles much more easily on the bike. The G11 was easier to manipulate settings.
03/25/2014 11:25:51 PM · #16
Originally posted by Mike:

Originally posted by Neil:

Well, off the $$ requirements charts, but Spend the extra money and get an RX100! You won't regret it IQ wise!

$425 used on Amazon, $545 new (RX100 v1, first version)


i can second that. i'll have a free study entered taken with it, you wont believe the ability of this camera, especially in low light.


If you remove the budget requirement, this is exactly what you want. Fits in pocket, zoom, and IQ that competes with a lot of DSLRs.
03/26/2014 11:19:15 AM · #17
Unfortunately, the budget restraint is probably the least likely to be loosened.
03/26/2014 11:59:33 AM · #18
Originally posted by karmat:

So, if I take away the "pocket caveat" would you still recommend the s110/120?

Any opinions on these?

Fuji finepix S8200 (Discontinued, but can still find it at other places)

Canon Powershot SX510HS

Nikon Coolpix P520 (even if it is a <gasp> nikon)

Canon G15


Yes, I prefer the smaller, less obtrusive camera
03/26/2014 01:10:46 PM · #19
Got a G15 a couple of weeks ago and its great for carry out at all times.
03/26/2014 01:31:52 PM · #20
Originally posted by Spork99:

Originally posted by karmat:

So, if I take away the "pocket caveat" would you still recommend the s110/120?

Any opinions on these?

Fuji finepix S8200 (Discontinued, but can still find it at other places)

Canon Powershot SX510HS

Nikon Coolpix P520 (even if it is a <gasp> nikon)

Canon G15


Yes, I prefer the smaller, less obtrusive camera


The main advantage of the ones you've listed are telephoto ability (30x or 40x zoom) vs S110/120 (5x zoom).
I shoot mainly wide, so I would still go with the S120 for its features (1.8 aperture on the wide end, RAW, face recognition). I just do snaps of family/friends. S120 works better for me if I want something better than my iphone.
But you may be happier with the reach of Fuji S8200/Canon SX510/Nikon p520.
Pages:  
Current Server Time: 09/28/2021 07:11:49 PM

Please log in or register to post to the forums.


Home - Challenges - Community - League - Photos - Cameras - Lenses - Learn - Prints! - Help - Terms of Use - Privacy - Top ^
DPChallenge, and website content and design, Copyright © 2001-2021 Challenging Technologies, LLC.
All digital photo copyrights belong to the photographers and may not be used without permission.
Proudly hosted by Sargasso Networks. Current Server Time: 09/28/2021 07:11:49 PM EDT.