DPChallenge: A Digital Photography Contest You are not logged in. (log in or register
 

DPChallenge Forums >> General Discussion >> Cameras for Kids Foundation - worth a look
Pages:  
Showing posts 1 - 7 of 7, (reverse)
AuthorThread
07/03/2014 01:55:07 PM · #1

Just spreading the word on what I feel is a worthwhile cause, and hope some of you do too... definitely worth looking at in any event! They are looking for volunteers all over (although primarily in the U.S.), so if you've ever been interested in teaching photography and working with underprivileged/foster children, you may want to contact them. I just started as a volunteer in L.A.!

CFKF Facebook page

CFKF Website
07/03/2014 05:29:50 PM · #2
Interesting concept.

I just recently gave away four cameras to a local high school photography club as well as a 20D, 18/85 lens, CF card, card reader, bag and a 500gig HD to the daughter of a friend of mine who introduced me to the HS program.

The excitement generated and the number of photos she has taken since was more than worth it.

Ray
07/03/2014 05:44:43 PM · #3
Thank you for sharing this. I would love to participate in some capacity. What do volunteer opportunities entail? How do I find out about local chapters? (I didn't see anything on their website, but maybe I didn't dig deep enough.)
07/03/2014 08:09:05 PM · #4
Thanks Chuck, always a good cause and idea. There is a similar project from the documentary Born into Brothels from Kids with Cameras if people want to follow up on your excellent link.
07/04/2014 12:58:49 AM · #5
Originally posted by bvy:

Thank you for sharing this. I would love to participate in some capacity. What do volunteer opportunities entail? How do I find out about local chapters? (I didn't see anything on their website, but maybe I didn't dig deep enough.)


Brian, contact the founder Betsey through their facebook page. I think as far as volunteers, they are looking to start (or continue) basic photography classes for foster kids throughout the US (as well as a few outside the U.S.) I'm sure they need volunteers for other things as well, but I signed up to teach a basic photography class to foster kids in the L.A. area. Betsey is very friendly and easy to contact.
07/04/2014 01:01:36 AM · #6
Originally posted by daisydavid:

Thanks Chuck, always a good cause and idea. There is a similar project from the documentary Born into Brothels from Kids with Cameras if people want to follow up on your excellent link.


Great info, thanks John! I had seen their page before as well. Maybe we should have a volunteer opportunity section in the forums!
07/04/2014 01:06:44 AM · #7
Originally posted by RayEthier:

Interesting concept.

I just recently gave away four cameras to a local high school photography club as well as a 20D, 18/85 lens, CF card, card reader, bag and a 500gig HD to the daughter of a friend of mine who introduced me to the HS program.

The excitement generated and the number of photos she has taken since was more than worth it.

Ray


Ray, I did my first session with these kids this week and I can say that I really enjoyed it and they were very engaged and interested. I normally deal with this population in my job already, but their interest and enthusiasm was something I don't normally see through work, so it was really a pleasure for me. I'm looking forward to the next several weeks with these kids. You can find some of these foster kids' work posted on the CFKF facebook page.
Pages:  
Current Server Time: 10/24/2020 08:50:58 AM

Please log in or register to post to the forums.


Home - Challenges - Community - League - Photos - Cameras - Lenses - Learn - Prints! - Help - Terms of Use - Privacy - Top ^
DPChallenge, and website content and design, Copyright © 2001-2020 Challenging Technologies, LLC.
All digital photo copyrights belong to the photographers and may not be used without permission.
Proudly hosted by Sargasso Networks. Current Server Time: 10/24/2020 08:50:58 AM EDT.