DPChallenge: A Digital Photography Contest You are not logged in. (log in or register
 

DPChallenge Forums >> Challenge Suggestions >> Solar Eclipse 2017
Pages:  
Showing posts 26 - 50 of 145, (reverse)
AuthorThread
08/05/2017 01:09:43 PM · #26
The path of eclipse totality will stretch across central Wyoming. The forecast for August 21, 2017 for Shoshoni, WY is sunny, 86º, 5 MPH breeze from the W. 5% chance of precip. That's an optimal forecast.

The remarkable thing is... the population of Wyoming is projected to double on August 21, 2017. 585K... to over a million. Half a million extra people on the roads means gridlocked main highways. I am concerned about this and will take evasive action to avoid being trapped in a traffic jam during this once in a lifetime event.
08/05/2017 05:38:58 PM · #27
Originally posted by hahn23:

The remarkable thing is... the population of Wyoming is projected to double on August 21, 2017. 585K... to over a million. Half a million extra people on the roads means gridlocked main highways. I am concerned about this and will take evasive action to avoid being trapped in a traffic jam during this once in a lifetime event.

Originally posted by vawendy:

We'll be travelling. It would be nice to have 3 days.

You might want to allow three days to get there ... according to a report I heard nearly the entire population of the lower 48 is "within a long day's drive" of the zone of totality.
08/05/2017 09:48:11 PM · #28
Originally posted by hahn23:

The path of eclipse totality will stretch across central Wyoming. The forecast for August 21, 2017 for Shoshoni, WY is sunny, 86º, 5 MPH breeze from the W. 5% chance of precip. That's an optimal forecast.

The remarkable thing is... the population of Wyoming is projected to double on August 21, 2017. 585K... to over a million. Half a million extra people on the roads means gridlocked main highways. I am concerned about this and will take evasive action to avoid being trapped in a traffic jam during this once in a lifetime event.


Richard- have you had some good results from practicing yet?
08/05/2017 10:02:49 PM · #29
Originally posted by Dennisheckman:

Originally posted by hahn23:

The path of eclipse totality will stretch across central Wyoming. The forecast for August 21, 2017 for Shoshoni, WY is sunny, 86º, 5 MPH breeze from the W. 5% chance of precip. That's an optimal forecast.

The remarkable thing is... the population of Wyoming is projected to double on August 21, 2017. 585K... to over a million. Half a million extra people on the roads means gridlocked main highways. I am concerned about this and will take evasive action to avoid being trapped in a traffic jam during this once in a lifetime event.


Richard- have you had some good results from practicing yet?


If we get some clear skies, I'll try out techniques on full moon.
08/06/2017 12:38:12 PM · #30
Any suggestions for a cheap solar filter...
I want to shoot when it's in its totality so are these safe Filters
08/06/2017 12:56:36 PM · #31
During COMPLETE totality you don't need (or want) any filters, only if any part of the sun is visible.

The filters you linked are NOT adequate -- they are for filtering UV light only (often called a "haze filter") for daylight shooting, a polarizer, and something for shooting under fluorescent lights.

A true solar filter will be opaque to the eye. If you PM me a mailing address I can probably find you a piece of film (from offset printing use) which you can use to improvise ...

' . substr('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/0-4999/1031/120/Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_1133842.jpg', strrpos('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/0-4999/1031/120/Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_1133842.jpg', '/') + 1) . '
08/10/2017 10:01:13 AM · #32
Krispy Kreme is making a special chocolate glazed donut in honor of the eclipse. Available for 3 days only!
08/10/2017 11:57:18 AM · #33
Solar Eclipse Safety Tips
08/10/2017 01:15:49 PM · #34
Anyone in and around Lake Murray, SC OR anywhere in SC area and would like to have a Solar 2017 GTG? :)
08/10/2017 01:24:56 PM · #35
I haven't been paying much attention to this event and wasn't all that interested, but I came across this documentary yesterday.
Now I'm not sure if I am more interested (rare, "life-changing" event) or less interested (MASSES flocking to and crowding into the path).
08/10/2017 02:45:44 PM · #36
Shoshoni, WY looks good for the time of total eclipse.
08/12/2017 10:44:08 AM · #37
I just looked at the weather predictions for Hiawassee, GA....60% scattered storms...ugh but in my world that means 40% without.

Is there anyone in that area now that can tell me how accurate the predictions are????

And is it GAFF Tape that is good for us to use on our cameras?
08/12/2017 11:25:40 AM · #38
Originally posted by Ja-9:

I just looked at the weather predictions for Hiawassee, GA....60% scattered storms...ugh but in my world that means 40% without.

Is there anyone in that area now that can tell me how accurate the predictions are????

And is it GAFF Tape that is good for us to use on our cameras?


10 days out I would not place too much emphasis on it. I'd be looking to see what the weather in the days leading up to the eclipse looks like. If clear weather is predicted leading up to the eclipse, watch the forecast over the next few days to see if that window is shifting, and in which direction. Often, the timing of a predicted bad weather period will shift forward or backward; seems most often to shift later than earlier.
If the forecast still looks dim at 5 days out, then I'd start to be a bit worried.
08/12/2017 11:31:40 AM · #39
Originally posted by Ja-9:

...
And is it GAFF Tape that is good for us to use on our cameras?

Gaffer tape uses.

I use gaffer tape to lock down the correct focus, especially on celestial subjects at infinity. You'll notice the infinity "mark" on your lens is represented as a range. In my experience, it is never quite right to simply place the focusing ring at max infinity. The correct focus is somewhere along the infinity range. This can be set in advance by trial and error. Once i'm confident of the correct lens focus setting (manual, of course), I place a strip of gaffer tape on the focusing ring locking in the setting. When time is of the essence, it helps get the focus done correctly. I'll only have 2 minutes and 20 seconds of totality. There's no time to mess with achieving sharp focus in the heat of the moment. As a side note: temperature variations can shift all of this slightly. So, I'll still check and adjust on-the-go, but at least I'll be starting close to correctly focused.
08/12/2017 01:27:26 PM · #40
I remember the total solar eclipse we had in Belgium about 20 years ago. The most impressive thing was the huge drop of temperature in those few minutes time, and how fast it came back to normal after the eclipse.
No chance for me this time here in Taiwan.
Can't wait to see Richard's pictures.
08/13/2017 03:52:13 AM · #41
no need to wait
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=total+eclipse+images+2015&client=safari&rls=en&prmd=ivns&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwikm6Ww3dPVAhVrBsAKHWnOCBIQ_AUIBQ

Message edited by author 2017-08-13 03:53:50.
08/13/2017 03:57:03 AM · #42
Originally posted by Tiny:

no need to wait

Link
Looks like many are photoshop creations

Message edited by author 2017-08-13 03:57:34.
08/13/2017 07:37:40 PM · #43
Is a ND 16 filter dark enough for my lens?
08/13/2017 10:07:34 PM · #44
Originally posted by Ja-9:

Is a ND 16 filter dark enough for my lens?


16 stops is the usual density for a solar filter, yes. It needs to have that density from IR through UV, so, for instance, stacking 10-stop and 6-stop photographic ND filters is not recommended.
08/14/2017 08:55:46 AM · #45
What does this mean? When you say not recommended? Does this mean we need to have a different kind of stuff and not ND?

Originally posted by kirbic:

Originally posted by Ja-9:

Is a ND 16 filter dark enough for my lens?


16 stops is the usual density for a solar filter, yes. It needs to have that density from IR through UV, so, for instance, stacking 10-stop and 6-stop photographic ND filters is not recommended.
08/14/2017 12:55:21 PM · #46
Originally posted by pgirish007:

What does this mean? When you say not recommended? Does this mean we need to have a different kind of stuff and not ND?

Originally posted by kirbic:

Originally posted by Ja-9:

Is a ND 16 filter dark enough for my lens?


16 stops is the usual density for a solar filter, yes. It needs to have that density from IR through UV, so, for instance, stacking 10-stop and 6-stop photographic ND filters is not recommended.


From what I read...if you hold up your filter to a light bulb you should not see anything and if you go outside n hold up your filter you should only be able to see the Sun. I'm trying to find out if a ND 16 filer (cockin) is strong enough to protect his camera. I'm not sure...we can't find the film filters that are graded for solar eclipse anywhere that will arrive on time...Sat night there was a boatload...Sunday gone!!! Unless you want to spend a stupid amount of $$!!!
08/14/2017 01:05:17 PM · #47
Got it!

I ordered this for $17.99 and now I see it showing up as $172.99 :D

Originally posted by Ja-9:

Originally posted by pgirish007:

What does this mean? When you say not recommended? Does this mean we need to have a different kind of stuff and not ND?

Originally posted by kirbic:

Originally posted by Ja-9:

Is a ND 16 filter dark enough for my lens?


16 stops is the usual density for a solar filter, yes. It needs to have that density from IR through UV, so, for instance, stacking 10-stop and 6-stop photographic ND filters is not recommended.


From what I read...if you hold up your filter to a light bulb you should not see anything and if you go outside n hold up your filter you should only be able to see the Sun. I'm trying to find out if a ND 16 filer (cockin) is strong enough to protect his camera. I'm not sure...we can't find the film filters that are graded for solar eclipse anywhere that will arrive on time...Sat night there was a boatload...Sunday gone!!! Unless you want to spend a stupid amount of $$!!!
08/14/2017 02:12:43 PM · #48
It's fun to watch the price changes on that :-)

Here's what Honey has to say :-)
08/14/2017 03:44:50 PM · #49
Gee, I wish I'd known earlier -- I could have sold some of the pieces of scrap film I have ... hope I can still find it in 2024 before the next one.
08/14/2017 08:01:51 PM · #50
I got mine 4"x4"-Solar-Filter-Sheet-for-Telescopes

Also Rob not sure if you noticed but the link that you provided takes $ amount in parameter. What you posted is $39.99. See I changed it to free
Pages:  
Current Server Time: 01/25/2021 04:28:40 PM

Please log in or register to post to the forums.


Home - Challenges - Community - League - Photos - Cameras - Lenses - Learn - Prints! - Help - Terms of Use - Privacy - Top ^
DPChallenge, and website content and design, Copyright © 2001-2021 Challenging Technologies, LLC.
All digital photo copyrights belong to the photographers and may not be used without permission.
Proudly hosted by Sargasso Networks. Current Server Time: 01/25/2021 04:28:40 PM EST.