DPChallenge: A Digital Photography Contest You are not logged in. (log in or register
 

DPChallenge Forums >> Current Challenge >> Impressionism
Pages:  
Showing posts 1 - 25 of 73, (reverse)
AuthorThread
11/01/2004 12:27:32 AM · #1
I hope this will be a wonderful challenge. I look forward to it!

The name 'Impressionism' comes from Monet's painting 'Impression: Sunrise.' You can find many copies of it with a simple google image search. Impressionists were very much into capturing those fleeting moments of light and time, so they often painted the same thing over and over again with different light. For photography, it will be interesting to see if DPCers mimick the great masters of impressionism such as Monet, Manet, Renoir and others, or if they create their own sense of 'fleeting moment of light and time.'

For more on impressionism, there are many links. You can trythis one.
11/01/2004 12:34:36 AM · #2
I do have a question on this, I know its a basically no holds barred on editing challenge, but are we to use just the camera to obtain the "imressionism" effect or will images edited with software to obtain the affect be higher rated?

its just a bit confusing to me

James
11/01/2004 12:41:04 AM · #3
This would be more interesting if it was a basic editing challenge or even a no editing challenge. A lot of the impresssionist effects can be obtained in camera.
11/01/2004 12:41:52 AM · #4
Originally posted by jab119:

I do have a question on this, I know its a basically no holds barred on editing challenge, but are we to use just the camera to obtain the "imressionism" effect or will images edited with software to obtain the affect be higher rated?

its just a bit confusing to me

James


It's just advanced editing, doesn't give any extra rules.
11/01/2004 12:44:02 AM · #5
This is Advanced Editing but no extra rules. This means among other things your editing cannot create, duplicate or remove major elements of the photograph.

Please also note this is a Masters Challenge. You must be a member AND have at least 3 ribbons (up from 2 on the previous Masters Challenge) to enter.

-Terry
11/01/2004 12:46:26 AM · #6
Originally posted by sagestudio:

I hope this will be a wonderful challenge. I look forward to it!



You dont have to worry about it. No Impressionism challenge for you. Or me, or a couple thousand other people out there. Gotsta have the big ribbons to participate in this one.
11/01/2004 01:00:35 AM · #7
Originally posted by hbunch7187:

Originally posted by sagestudio:

I hope this will be a wonderful challenge. I look forward to it!



You dont have to worry about it. No Impressionism challenge for you. Or me, or a couple thousand other people out there. Gotsta have the big ribbons to participate in this one.


The whining about this topic is going on in another thread. Please don't drag threads off topic.
11/01/2004 01:03:18 AM · #8
z

Message edited by author 2005-07-12 11:14:42.
11/01/2004 01:15:43 AM · #9
Where does it state that to compete you need 3 ribbons? Am I blind?
11/01/2004 01:20:34 AM · #10
If you have less than three ribbons, the submission fields will not appear. Instead, you will receive a message that says "Sorry, you do not have enough ribbons to participate in this challenge" (I know, because I fall into that category).

That message was written at the time of the first (test) Masters' Challenge, which included the ribbon requirement in the challenge description. Admittedly, it needs to be rewritten, and I will ask Drew or Langdon to do that tomorrow.

-Terry
11/01/2004 07:28:56 AM · #11
Terry, any idea how many 3-ribbon "Masters" there are?
I would expect a lower percentage of entries in this one due to it not being a free study, so is raising the bar such a good idea?
11/01/2004 07:36:43 AM · #12
Originally posted by bod:

any idea how many 3-ribbon "Masters" there are?


If I remember correctly from the first masters challenge debate ... it was determined that there were 68 3-ribboners ... but I'm sure that's higher now.

so say between 70 and 100?
11/01/2004 07:38:31 AM · #13
I think what jab is asking is will people be applying the "paint brush" filter or similar? I have the same question.

Originally posted by ClubJuggle:

This is Advanced Editing but no extra rules. This means among other things your editing cannot create, duplicate or remove major elements of the photograph.
11/01/2004 08:59:46 AM · #14
In some ways it would be a more interesting challenge if the various 'impressionistic effect' photoshop filters were not allowed.

In other ways, I still feel the end result is all that matters.

Depends what you think the challenge is about - camera handling or good pictures.
11/01/2004 09:11:08 AM · #15
Originally posted by Gordon:

In some ways it would be a more interesting challenge if the various 'impressionistic effect' photoshop filters were not allowed.

In other ways, I still feel the end result is all that matters.

Depends what you think the challenge is about - camera handling or good pictures.


I think the main challenge should be with camera handling to get a good picture. Impressionistic effects can be achieved in camera and then only basic editing applied to turn a good image into a great one. Just my opinion.
11/01/2004 10:39:39 AM · #16
Originally posted by cpanaioti:


I think the main challenge should be with camera handling to get a good picture. Impressionistic effects can be achieved in camera and then only basic editing applied to turn a good image into a great one. Just my opinion.


Yup, that is certainly one potential view. and I've certainly tried to do that on a variety of ocassions in the past.

But is the final picture actually any better as a result of it ?
Is it actually more challenging to achieve, or have you just exercised a different set of (potentially equally difficult to learn) skills.
11/01/2004 10:44:34 AM · #17
So, does the majority agree that the result should look like a painting, and not like a photograph?

Or should our photograph simply conform to traits found in impressionistic paintings (ie ... simple composition, limited colors, perhaps soft focus)?
11/01/2004 10:54:16 AM · #18
Originally posted by Gordon:

In some ways it would be a more interesting challenge if the various 'impressionistic effect' photoshop filters were not allowed.

In other ways, I still feel the end result is all that matters.

Depends what you think the challenge is about - camera handling or good pictures.


I have been thinking about this also. I spent some time last night looking at impressionistic art and tried to determine the best way to achieve similar results with the camera. I thought of several things, including the use of some homemade filters.
11/01/2004 10:54:20 AM · #19
Here are some of mine, that I think are broadly on theme for this challenge. Not a hay bale or a photoshop filter in sight:

' . substr('//www.pbase.com/gordonmcgregor/image/23805230/small.jpg', strrpos('//www.pbase.com/gordonmcgregor/image/23805230/small.jpg', '/') + 1) . '' . substr('//www.pbase.com/gordonmcgregor/image/32060365/small.jpg', strrpos('//www.pbase.com/gordonmcgregor/image/32060365/small.jpg', '/') + 1) . '' . substr('//www.pbase.com/gordonmcgregor/image/35236709/small.jpg', strrpos('//www.pbase.com/gordonmcgregor/image/35236709/small.jpg', '/') + 1) . '' . substr('//www.pbase.com/gordonmcgregor/image/22422289/small.jpg', strrpos('//www.pbase.com/gordonmcgregor/image/22422289/small.jpg', '/') + 1) . '' . substr('//www.pbase.com/gordonmcgregor/image/25543110/small.jpg', strrpos('//www.pbase.com/gordonmcgregor/image/25543110/small.jpg', '/') + 1) . '' . substr('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_challenge/97/thumb/21317.jpg', strrpos('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_challenge/97/thumb/21317.jpg', '/') + 1) . '
11/01/2004 10:57:45 AM · #20
Beautiful!

Arguments (or, if you prefer, 'whining') about the Master's Challenge aside, I really wish I could enter this one...
11/01/2004 11:03:35 AM · #21
This should be a wonderful challenge for voting... I love impressionism and can't wait to see what the Masters have to show us! One of my favorite impressionist painters is Mary Cassat, which might give some ideas in case anyone is interested. Good luck to all of you! :O)
11/01/2004 11:04:07 AM · #22
Gordons the ruler of impressionism! Awesome shots!
11/01/2004 11:04:30 AM · #23
Originally posted by Gordon:

Here are some of mine, that I think are broadly on theme for this challenge. Not a hay bale or a photoshop filter in sight:


holy crap those are good !!!
11/01/2004 11:10:17 AM · #24
' . substr('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_challenge/269/thumb/114970.jpg', strrpos('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_challenge/269/thumb/114970.jpg', '/') + 1) . '

I think this photo from the recent Implied Lines challenge is a decent example of impressionism.
11/01/2004 11:15:30 AM · #25
Originally posted by jmsetzler:

' . substr('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_challenge/269/thumb/114970.jpg', strrpos('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_challenge/269/thumb/114970.jpg', '/') + 1) . '

I think this photo from the recent Implied Lines challenge is a decent example of impressionism.


How so?
Pages:  
Current Server Time: 01/20/2021 05:27:03 AM

Please log in or register to post to the forums.


Home - Challenges - Community - League - Photos - Cameras - Lenses - Learn - Prints! - Help - Terms of Use - Privacy - Top ^
DPChallenge, and website content and design, Copyright © 2001-2021 Challenging Technologies, LLC.
All digital photo copyrights belong to the photographers and may not be used without permission.
Proudly hosted by Sargasso Networks. Current Server Time: 01/20/2021 05:27:03 AM EST.