DPChallenge: A Digital Photography Contest You are not logged in. (log in or register
 

DPChallenge Forums >> Challenge Announcements >> "What's Old Is New Again" Results Recalculated
Pages:  
Showing posts 1 - 16 of 16, (reverse)
AuthorThread
02/11/2020 01:30:49 PM · #1
The former Blue Ribbon in the "What's Old Is New Again" Challenge has been disqualified because there are internal anomalies in the time/date stamps on the image. This is an ongoing problem that may be systemic rather than intentional or accidental, but so far we have not been able to find the root of the problem. The photographer will refrain from entering further challenges until we get it sorted out.

Meanwhile, congrats to our new ribboner and HM.
02/11/2020 02:35:59 PM · #2
Man, that's unfortunate, Sisto has been doing great work - hate to see it get dropped on a technicality. :-(

02/11/2020 02:49:37 PM · #3
So do we :-(
02/11/2020 06:03:39 PM · #4
Whoa dang!

02/11/2020 06:31:24 PM · #5
Sadly, there's more :-( The recent 4th-place image has been DQd because the photographer replaced the entire cluttered BG with an "Indian Blanket" image, a technique that can only be done in Extended editing. Congrats to our newest HM.
02/12/2020 11:44:01 AM · #6
It's an epidemic! The recent 3rd-place image has been DQd as well, in this case for inability to provide a valid original. Congrats to our newest ribboner and HM.
02/12/2020 12:49:20 PM · #7
At this rate I'll be on the front page soon and I didn't even enter the challenge.
02/12/2020 12:51:22 PM · #8
what the... only 18 to go and I get the blue :)
02/12/2020 04:20:57 PM · #9
It's very weird what is going on to my friend Sisto. I know for sure he shooted all the pic in the correct timeframe and I think it is unbelievable we didn't understand yet what is the problem (if something in the camera or something in the PC).
Anyway this issue make me very sad for many reasons:
First of all he is the person who motivate me the most to partecipate to the contests, and now, I have lost most of that motivation and we all (me and all the DPC community) have lost the chance to enjoy the creations of one of the greatest artists here.
Also, what's going on is worrying, it could happen to everyone of us, something strange can happen (a wrong update to Photoshop, a filesystem issue on the camera or whatever) and waste all the work done and all the energies spent in partecpate.
I really hope this situation can be solved soon and, above all, I hope Sisto is able to find the strength to start again to partecipate to this community.
02/12/2020 04:43:10 PM · #10
I also am interested in finding out the date problem going on.

I once obviously shot specifically for the challenge topic, but I'd used my backup camera body since my normal one was in the shop.

' . substr('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_challenge/1000-1999/1067/120/Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_807547.jpg', strrpos('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_challenge/1000-1999/1067/120/Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_807547.jpg', '/') + 1) . '

I checked the date beforehand so was extremely surprised when the date challenge arrived. It was one year off to the day.

DQd.

There are no exceptions to this date rule.

So... I'm really hoping Sisto figures this problem out. Such a bummer.

02/13/2020 09:55:52 AM · #11
Originally posted by Lydia:

I checked the date beforehand so was extremely surprised when the date challenge arrived. It was one year off to the day.

DQd.

There are no exceptions to this date rule.


My only DQ was self reported. Got a new body and set the time and date to the second so it was in sync with my other camera. I did this on the 11th of the month and somehow never noticed I set the day to the 21st. The image was in the high 6's when it was pulled. Funny, the upload process never gave me a photo out of range warning. C'est la vie.

It's become a habit - every time I pick up a camera I haven't used in a while I check the date.

That said, what's going on with Sisto sounds incredibly unfortunate and beyond his control. Hope you all figure it out.

Message edited by author 2020-02-13 09:56:59.
02/14/2020 05:31:44 AM · #12
Originally posted by the_rkp:

It's very weird what is going on to my friend Sisto. I know for sure he shooted all the pic in the correct timeframe and I think it is unbelievable we didn't understand yet what is the problem (if something in the camera or something in the PC).
Anyway this issue make me very sad for many reasons:
First of all he is the person who motivate me the most to partecipate to the contests, and now, I have lost most of that motivation and we all (me and all the DPC community) have lost the chance to enjoy the creations of one of the greatest artists here.
Also, what's going on is worrying, it could happen to everyone of us, something strange can happen (a wrong update to Photoshop, a filesystem issue on the camera or whatever) and waste all the work done and all the energies spent in partecpate.
I really hope this situation can be solved soon and, above all, I hope Sisto is able to find the strength to start again to participate to this community.

Please understand that the only reason we have NOT banned Sisto despite what seems to be clear evidence of EXIF manipulation is THAT WE DON'T REALLY BELIEVE HE DID IT!

But at the same time there are anomalies showing up in Sisto's time/date stamps that do not allow validation. Sisto, as unhappy as he is, has been a good sport about this and has agreed not to submit while we sort the problem out. We/he need to find a way to correct the problem so the anomalies go away.

We have checked other Sony a7 validation files and they do not show the anomaly. I have tried to replicate the anomaly with my own a7 and am unable to do so. We have just suggested a course of action involving a data reset on Sisto's camera to see if the anomaly can be wiped out that way.

In short, we're bending over backward to FIX this problem instead of just wielding a blunt instrument and beating Sisto to the ground. Hopefully, the community will bear with us while we struggle to resolve the problem.
02/14/2020 06:36:36 AM · #13
Originally posted by Bear_Music:


Please understand that the only reason we have NOT banned Sisto despite what seems to be clear evidence of EXIF manipulation is THAT WE DON'T REALLY BELIEVE HE DID IT!

But at the same time there are anomalies showing up in Sisto's time/date stamps that do not allow validation. Sisto, as unhappy as he is, has been a good sport about this and has agreed not to submit while we sort the problem out. We/he need to find a way to correct the problem so the anomalies go away.

We have checked other Sony a7 validation files and they do not show the anomaly. I have tried to replicate the anomaly with my own a7 and am unable to do so. We have just suggested a course of action involving a data reset on Sisto's camera to see if the anomaly can be wiped out that way.

In short, we're bending over backward to FIX this problem instead of just wielding a blunt instrument and beating Sisto to the ground. Hopefully, the community will bear with us while we struggle to resolve the problem.

Yes, of course the community is with you, I guess everyone of us wish Sisto is back as soon as possible ^_^

Message edited by author 2020-02-14 06:37:05.
02/14/2020 07:33:20 AM · #14
I feel really bad for Sisto. I hope the problem is solved soon.

It's frightening to realise that metadata can get messed up so easily. I've had that problem with two of my cameras when plugging the cameras into the computer and downloading using cut and paste. Fortunately I discovered the problem before it caused me any trouble.

Now I always use a card reader and hope that's good enough.

While Sisto seems to be the only person having this problem, it's possible that it's affecting other people whose photos don't need validating.
02/14/2020 08:43:13 AM · #15
sorry but I might have missed the reason completely, what exactly the problem is?

1. is the camera not recording in correct datetime?
2. is the camera recorded correctly but when upload for validation, it gets something wrong?

I can also try to help with this to narrow it down, I have sony A7R2.
02/14/2020 04:20:14 PM · #16
Originally posted by pgirish007:

I can also try to help with this to narrow it down, I have sony A7R2.

Thanks for the offer, but we have quite a view a7* validation files we have used for comparison purposes.

Pages:  
Current Server Time: 04/03/2020 02:32:44 PM

Please log in or register to post to the forums.


Home - Challenges - Community - League - Photos - Cameras - Lenses - Learn - Prints! - Help - Terms of Use - Privacy - Top ^
DPChallenge, and website content and design, Copyright © 2001-2020 Challenging Technologies, LLC.
All digital photo copyrights belong to the photographers and may not be used without permission.
Proudly hosted by Sargasso Networks. Current Server Time: 04/03/2020 02:32:44 PM EDT.