DPChallenge: A Digital Photography Contest You are not logged in. (log in or register
 

DPChallenge Forums >> General Discussion >> RIP RBG
Pages:  
Showing posts 1 - 25 of 33, (reverse)
AuthorThread
09/18/2020 08:23:42 PM · #1
:(
09/18/2020 08:31:22 PM · #2
Originally posted by vawendy:

:(

' . substr('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/0-4999/1031/120/Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_1179866.png', strrpos('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/0-4999/1031/120/Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_1179866.png', '/') + 1) . '
09/18/2020 08:32:24 PM · #3
Oh, bugger, bugger. bugger. One of the great ones has gone.
09/18/2020 08:34:30 PM · #4
I can't look at FB right now, so I'm having a beer instead. :[
09/18/2020 09:04:26 PM · #5
This is just really, really sad news :-(
09/18/2020 09:10:55 PM · #6
RIP RBG :(

I just saw it in the news.
09/18/2020 10:22:45 PM · #7
Say the final goodbye to Big D too
09/18/2020 10:25:50 PM · #8
Originally posted by MargaretNet:

Say the final goodbye to Big D too

Big D?
09/18/2020 10:32:38 PM · #9
Mitch McConnell added: "President Trumpís nominee will receive a vote on the floor of the United States Senate."

The hypocrisy from these assholes is astounding.
09/18/2020 10:36:26 PM · #10
Originally posted by Venser:

Mitch McConnell added: "President Trumpís nominee will receive a vote on the floor of the United States Senate."

The hypocrisy from these assholes is astounding.

... and you think if a Democrat was President they wouldn't do the same? I don't care for Trump much either (and I consider myself a Republican), but that's politics.
09/18/2020 10:45:50 PM · #11
Originally posted by glad2badad:

Originally posted by Venser:

Mitch McConnell added: "President Trumpís nominee will receive a vote on the floor of the United States Senate."

The hypocrisy from these assholes is astounding.

... and you think if a Democrat was President they wouldn't do the same?

No, I don't, at least not if they'd previously said -- with over a year to go until the election -- that the "next" President deserves to nominate a justice.

There's "politics" and there's "dirty" politics, and the Republicans Trumpians will need more than a twenty-second hand-wash to come clean ...
09/18/2020 10:46:25 PM · #12
Originally posted by glad2badad:

Originally posted by Venser:

Mitch McConnell added: "President Trumpís nominee will receive a vote on the floor of the United States Senate."

The hypocrisy from these assholes is astounding.

... and you think if a Democrat was President they wouldn't do the same? I don't care for Trump much either (and I consider myself a Republican), but that's politics.

Garland never got a chance for months before the last election.
I'm not talking about hypothetically or what the other party may have done, I'm only talking about what the Republicans are doing and have done.

Message edited by author 2020-09-18 22:47:53.
09/18/2020 10:54:08 PM · #13
Sorry, but it would definitely play both ways if the shoe was on the other foot. Not saying it's right, just saying that politics is dirty business and there's politicians on both sides of the aisle that can't be trusted and only say what they need to that suits their needs at the time.
09/18/2020 10:54:44 PM · #14
Originally posted by glad2badad:

Originally posted by MargaretNet:

Say the final goodbye to Big D too

Big D?

"Democracy" (not Dallas) ...
09/18/2020 11:00:32 PM · #15
Originally posted by glad2badad:

Sorry, but it would definitely play both ways if the shoe was on the other foot.

You know this for sure, or just speaking hypothetically?
09/18/2020 11:08:48 PM · #16
Originally posted by Venser:

Originally posted by glad2badad:

Sorry, but it would definitely play both ways if the shoe was on the other foot.

You know this for sure, or just speaking hypothetically?

Of course it's hypothetical. Who can know anything for sure when it comes to politics? Certainly neither one of us. Yeah, we can look things up, state this happened here and counterpoint with something else, but really, politics is unpredictable dirty business. Not saying there aren't good politicians, I'm sure the majority are (hope they are anyway). Plenty of worms out there though too.
09/18/2020 11:24:48 PM · #17
I'm just pointing out that Obama had nearly a year to appoint a supreme court justice and McConnell stonewalled every attempt. His exact verbiage was that in the last year of a presidency you shouldn't be allowed to nominate a supreme court justice. Fast forward to now and it's a different tune. Let's rush this process because we're hypocrites.

Graham is doing the same thing. Trump doesn't have to show his tax returns, but he's now demanding his democratic opponent needs to show theirs because of transparency.
09/18/2020 11:39:37 PM · #18
Originally posted by Venser:

I'm just pointing out that Obama had nearly a year to appoint a supreme court justice and McConnell stonewalled every attempt. His exact verbiage was that in the last year of a presidency you shouldn't be allowed to nominate a supreme court justice. Fast forward to now and it's a different tune. Let's rush this process because we're hypocrites.

Graham is doing the same thing. Trump doesn't have to show his tax returns, but he's now demanding his democratic opponent needs to show theirs because of transparency.

Ok. You win.
09/19/2020 12:00:52 AM · #19
And say hello to the new Big D starting with Donald the First, followed by Ivanka the Great :(

PS If we lived in Middle Ages your politics would not matter to the rest of the world but we don't and so it does. And we don't even get the right to vote! :(
09/19/2020 10:51:08 AM · #20
How very sad when we must say goodbye to someone who has spent her, or his, life pursuing justice and dignity for those of us who have found ourselves on the dismal sideline of history. Ruth Bader Ginsburg, thank you. Your sweet warrior spirit will be greatly missed in its immediacy, but lives on in memory, endures in the bright uplifting of so many souls.
09/19/2020 11:18:29 AM · #21
Oddly, I thought this was about "RBG" Red, Blue, Green and I wondered if they were changing the colors model somehow.

Now, I see this is a political debate.

I'm not interested in participating at DPC on politics. It's too much already in "real life".

09/19/2020 11:27:35 AM · #22
Originally posted by Lydia:

Oddly, I thought this was about "RBG" Red, Blue, Green and I wondered if they were changing the colors model somehow.
...

That was the first thing I thought of too! Had to pull up a news page to get the reference of the OP.
09/19/2020 12:41:29 PM · #23
Additionally, please bear with me as I spill my spleen.
Opinions may vary, but even meager attention paid to actual events and facts should lead one to shiver and simultaneously boil at the perilous condition of D(hats off to Margaret)emocracy. Trump and his cronies have been kicking Democracy half to death throughout his term, enabled by craven, morally bankrupt Republican politicians. It's clearly a frightening, authoritarian road they've been dancing down. As the general population swerves away from the Republican worldview, to grasp at power they've pursued a strategy of disenfranchisment, gerrymandering, lying, sleazy corruption (eg., welcoming Russian interference), race-baiting and fearmongering. Feel free to add to the list. In any case, Trump himself views his base as losers and pawns. The main thrust of the modern Republican party is to protect the wealth and control of the moneyed one percent. The ghost of feudalism past. Through deceitful sleight of hand they amalgamate sufficient votes to keep their noses above water. As this election cycle unfurls, it's going to get scary-ugly. Martial law, anybody? Hit squads? There really seems to be no bottom to the lengths Trump will go to retain power, which is merely a sop to his diseased ego.
Personally, I'm most disheartented by the number of people who support this horrible human being. Wasn't it clear when he first declared his candidacy on a platter of Mexicans are rapists and murderers? When he mocked the halting speech of a disabled reporter?? Would any of his supporters want their children to model their behavior on this man? So often I hear his supporters flick away his every lie and assault on Democracy with the line, "I like his policies." Appointing conservative judges, that's legitimate, I suppose, though the consequences may be out of step with the rights of so many, ironically including these very supporters. What about putting children in cages? What about responsibility for many of the almost 200,000 (and counting) deaths from a pandemic that could have been mitigated but wasn't, due to political expediency? What about equating civil protesters with torch-bearing Nazis? Ring a bell, anyone? I don't believe that close scrutiny of his policies is on the popular menu. I fear, though, that an underlying reason is the longing for a continuation of an America where white people keep down black people and other minorities. A refusal to embrace the principle that all men (and women) are created equally.
At stake are Democracy, Justice and Human Decency.

Message edited by author 2020-09-19 12:45:36.
09/19/2020 01:00:50 PM · #24
I think the fear for many Republicans in recent election periods is hanging onto their wallets. General populace, not one percenters. The opinion is the Democrats are quick to tax and support very liberal platforms with those funds. Having said that, I don't see how anyone in their right mind can vote for Trump this year.

For the first time ever I'll be supporting a Democrat for President. Hopefully we don't lose too many Republican seats to maintain some moderate balance.
09/19/2020 01:30:08 PM · #25
Originally posted by streetpigeon:

Additionally, please bear with me as I spill my spleen.
Opinions may vary, but even meager attention paid to actual events and facts should lead one to shiver and simultaneously boil at the perilous condition of D(hats off to Margaret)emocracy. Trump and his cronies have been kicking Democracy half to death throughout his term, enabled by craven, morally bankrupt Republican politicians. It's clearly a frightening, authoritarian road they've been dancing down. As the general population swerves away from the Republican worldview, to grasp at power they've pursued a strategy of disenfranchisment, gerrymandering, lying, sleazy corruption (eg., welcoming Russian interference), race-baiting and fearmongering. Feel free to add to the list. In any case, Trump himself views his base as losers and pawns. The main thrust of the modern Republican party is to protect the wealth and control of the moneyed one percent. The ghost of feudalism past. Through deceitful sleight of hand they amalgamate sufficient votes to keep their noses above water. As this election cycle unfurls, it's going to get scary-ugly. Martial law, anybody? Hit squads? There really seems to be no bottom to the lengths Trump will go to retain power, which is merely a sop to his diseased ego.
Personally, I'm most disheartented by the number of people who support this horrible human being. Wasn't it clear when he first declared his candidacy on a platter of Mexicans are rapists and murderers? When he mocked the halting speech of a disabled reporter?? Would any of his supporters want their children to model their behavior on this man? So often I hear his supporters flick away his every lie and assault on Democracy with the line, "I like his policies." Appointing conservative judges, that's legitimate, I suppose, though the consequences may be out of step with the rights of so many, ironically including these very supporters. What about putting children in cages? What about responsibility for many of the almost 200,000 (and counting) deaths from a pandemic that could have been mitigated but wasn't, due to political expediency? What about equating civil protesters with torch-bearing Nazis? Ring a bell, anyone? I don't believe that close scrutiny of his policies is on the popular menu. I fear, though, that an underlying reason is the longing for a continuation of an America where white people keep down black people and other minorities. A refusal to embrace the principle that all men (and women) are created equally.
At stake are Democracy, Justice and Human Decency.


Many thanks, Rich. That restores my faith in some of the American people. I really worry these days that the times of almost 100 years ago are going to repeat. We have already seen the Storm-troopers! The parallels are too many and too close :(

Pages:  
Current Server Time: 10/19/2020 12:00:20 PM

Please log in or register to post to the forums.


Home - Challenges - Community - League - Photos - Cameras - Lenses - Learn - Prints! - Help - Terms of Use - Privacy - Top ^
DPChallenge, and website content and design, Copyright © 2001-2020 Challenging Technologies, LLC.
All digital photo copyrights belong to the photographers and may not be used without permission.
Proudly hosted by Sargasso Networks. Current Server Time: 10/19/2020 12:00:20 PM EDT.