DPChallenge: A Digital Photography Contest You are not logged in. (log in or register
 

DPChallenge Forums >> Tips, Tricks, and Q&A >> Critique Request 08
Pages:  
Showing posts 1 - 22 of 22, (reverse)
AuthorThread
08/17/2002 10:45:12 AM · #1
Greetings...

<img border=0 src="//webpages.charter.net/setzler/images/chains.jpg]

Critiques anyone?
08/17/2002 11:06:05 AM · #2
You're a black and white freak like me. lol. This is a nice photo. The non padlocked end looks a bit dark where at the very top of the photo is is kind of too bright. Also the right side of the padlock is kind of bright too. I like the positioning of the chain and the lock. Overall really nice. Thanks for sharing this with us.
~Heather~
08/17/2002 11:47:27 AM · #3
i like the composition. Although I'd like a little more room about the chain and a little bit less below the lock.

i'd also like it if the top link wasnt touching the brick line.

technically speaking there's some overexposure and blown highlights on the right side of the lock and on some of the upper links. but you could justify it 'for artistic purposes.'

image seems a hair soft ...

the left edge of the lock gets lost a little in the brick.

and is there some curvature in the thing the chain is attached to? or is that barrel distortion?

overall, an attractive image :).


08/17/2002 01:43:33 PM · #4
I mostly like this one. Has a bit of a story to tell and the blown out almost posterised shades give it a "dirty town" feel which seems appropriate.

The framing isn't using the "rule of thirds" but works none the less.

John
08/17/2002 01:59:33 PM · #5
Originally posted by floyd:
I mostly like this one. Has a bit of a story to tell and the blown out almost posterised shades give it a "dirty town" feel which seems appropriate.

The framing isn't using the "rule of thirds" but works none the less.

John


Interesting... I thought the composition did use the rule of thirds... the chain is along the right third.. the lock is close to a third... the bundle of chain is close to a third...
08/17/2002 02:11:48 PM · #6
Originally posted by jmsetzler:
Originally posted by floyd:
[i]I mostly like this one. Has a bit of a story to tell and the blown out almost posterised shades give it a "dirty town" feel which seems appropriate.

The framing isn't using the "rule of thirds" but works none the less.

John


Interesting... I thought the composition did use the rule of thirds... the chain is along the right third.. the lock is close to a third... the bundle of chain is close to a third...
[/i]


I'm new to the rule of thirds, but I even noticed that it was applied in this photo. The chain almost follows the right third exactly. I have to agree with Setzler on this one. sorry floyd.
08/17/2002 02:15:10 PM · #7
What I like about this photo is that it somehow gives a strong sense of how heavy the chain and padlock are. I'm not sure what it is that achieves that. I think high contrast photos lead me to look for extremes in the feelings they evoke. It's like the fork photo before - it made me feel the happy feelings you have when you've eaten a good meal. This one leads me to think about the weight of the padlock and chain.

I like this one.
08/17/2002 02:28:05 PM · #8
I don't think I like this a lot.

For some reason the chain and lock leave me wanting something more dramatic. Perhaps a different angle or more contrast or something.

In black and white I love extreme drama which is forceful lines, contrast etc...

For some reason this doesn't reach that level.
08/17/2002 02:31:52 PM · #9
I'm with hokie. Technically this picture is lacking. There are way too many blown out highlights for me to appreciate this picture. There also seems to be just too much grey.. I look at this and all I see is blown out highlights in a pool of greyness.
08/17/2002 04:21:01 PM · #10
What I don't like about the photo, and what probably was the reason why floyd didn't see the rule of thirds, is that the lock partially vanishes to the background. It almost has the same brightness and structure. So my attention is drawn to the high contrast of the chain. That again is great. The lighting is very good and the high contrast emphasises it's form. It looks heavy. Overall it's not a spectacular or outstanding but still a nice photo.

Ah. What I forgot to mention... I think the bright and "blown out" lightness does not fit. The chain looks rusty and old but the brilliance of the light is so glossy that it's somehow a contradiction. But that's not soo bad in my opinion. Contradictions are interesting ;-)



* This message has been edited by the author on 8/17/2002 4:24:54 PM.
08/17/2002 08:22:38 PM · #11
Originally posted by magnetic9999:
i like the composition. Although I'd like a little more room about the chain and a little bit less below the lock.

i'd also like it if the top link wasnt touching the brick line.

technically speaking there's some overexposure and blown highlights on the right side of the lock and on some of the upper links. but you could justify it 'for artistic purposes.'

image seems a hair soft ...

the left edge of the lock gets lost a little in the brick.

and is there some curvature in the thing the chain is attached to? or is that barrel distortion?

overall, an attractive image :).



I agree with Magnetic9999 - great photos!!

08/17/2002 08:39:51 PM · #12
The more I look at this one the more I wonder if you took this John. You are such a master of tonal values.

The highlights on the chain exactly match the white on the wall thereby creating a vertical line to counter the background's horizontal lines. This is the stability that Hokie mentioned. I agree that the lock fades into the wall if you squint.

After a while it becomes a very busy abstract. aelith
08/17/2002 11:13:11 PM · #13
Originally posted by aelith:
The more I look at this one the more I wonder if you took this John. You are such a master of tonal values.

The highlights on the chain exactly match the white on the wall thereby creating a vertical line to counter the background's horizontal lines. This is the stability that Hokie mentioned. I agree that the lock fades into the wall if you squint.

After a while it becomes a very busy abstract. aelith


The photographer who took this shot is much better at managing tones than I am :) I can assure you of that.
08/18/2002 01:26:08 AM · #14
As art work this photo evokes a conflicting feelings of sadness yet freedom.....this gives it merit, although I don't find it visually appealing. The brights are too bright and the darks too fuzzy.....It's just too much of both extremes of the spectrum.

* This message has been edited by the author on 8/18/2002 1:26:07 AM.
08/18/2002 09:55:25 AM · #15
<img border=0 src="//www.otn.co.uk/photos/chains_thirds.jpg]

Im totally comfortable with people disagreeing with me about this but I still dont think this photo uses the rule of thirds. Or perhaps I should say that it uses the rule in one place but very cleverly breaks it in another.

You can see on the photo above I've drawn in the thirds lines. The bundle of chain is nicely on the first third line down. This is certainly using the rule of thirds.

The padlock, however, and the chain leading down to it are not on a third line. They're deliberately close to it but not on it. This, for me, makes it feel like the chain and the padlock are framing the photograph while at the same time being the main focus of the viewers attention. The blue arrow shows where I felt my eye moved through the photo. The blue dot shows where my eye stops.

John
08/18/2002 12:19:50 PM · #16
I'm under the impression that this photo is 'close enough' to the rule or thirds composition to work. Being 'exact' on the rule of thirds is quite impossible in some instance, but being close is ok with me :)

This photo belongs to Mr. Gordon Mcgregor :)

Great shot Gordon! I really like this one...

08/18/2002 12:48:38 PM · #17
Originally posted by jmsetzler:
I'm under the impression that this photo is 'close enough' to the rule or thirds composition to work. Being 'exact' on the rule of thirds is quite impossible in some instance, but being close is ok with me :)

This photo belongs to Mr. Gordon Mcgregor :)

Great shot Gordon! I really like this one...




Has been really interesting seeing all the discussion and I
agree with all the comments. Took this in Feb this year on a
really sunny day - I'm developing a thing about locks... :)




<img border=0 src="//www.pbase.com/image/3934749.jpg]
08/18/2002 02:23:07 PM · #18
I like it better in B/W but the one thing that works better in the colour version for me is the horizontal metal bar...
08/18/2002 03:30:31 PM · #19
I like the color version better. It really makes what I suspected all along of being blood really stand out. Gordon, careful what you photograph.
08/18/2002 05:58:55 PM · #20
lol and I LOVE the color version ;D

aelith
08/18/2002 06:39:50 PM · #21
Great photo mate - excellent work.

John
08/18/2002 06:46:35 PM · #22
Note:

The images that I have posted for critique via this forum will be going away in the next few days. I am revamping my website. When I remove the images that are linked here via my own posts, should I delete the threads, or just leave the red x where my images used to be?

I am setting up an area where I hopefully won't have to do this in the future... I am limited to a lousy 10mb on my own webspace :( and that has to include my email file too...
Pages:  
Current Server Time: 10/05/2022 05:27:24 PM

Please log in or register to post to the forums.


Home - Challenges - Community - League - Photos - Cameras - Lenses - Learn - Prints! - Help - Terms of Use - Privacy - Top ^
DPChallenge, and website content and design, Copyright © 2001-2022 Challenging Technologies, LLC.
All digital photo copyrights belong to the photographers and may not be used without permission.
Proudly hosted by Sargasso Networks. Current Server Time: 10/05/2022 05:27:24 PM EDT.