DPChallenge: A Digital Photography Contest You are not logged in. (log in or register
 

DPChallenge Forums >> Hardware and Software >> Photoshop 7.0 on Ebay for under $100? Scam?
Pages:  
Showing posts 1 - 25 of 35, (reverse)
AuthorThread
02/04/2005 11:11:14 PM · #1
Do you think this is a scam? Or has anyone bought it this way?
02/04/2005 11:15:04 PM · #2
Ebay is pretty reliable...what is the sellers rating? Can you post the link?
02/04/2005 11:17:06 PM · #3
I would be careful. Under $100? If it sounds too good to be true it probably is.

Message edited by author 2005-02-04 23:17:15.
02/04/2005 11:19:36 PM · #4
It is going for 45.00 right now. Ends in 6 mins. I am going to try it. If it isn't legit I won't be out too much.

There are a couple going for this price. Under search for photoshop 7.0
02/04/2005 11:20:50 PM · #5
Here
02/04/2005 11:23:58 PM · #6
Yup. There you are and skydiving no less. LOL
Full version, looks like a decent seller too.
With a Credit Card, you always have fraud protection too!

Well? Did ya get it?

Message edited by author 2005-02-04 23:26:32.
02/04/2005 11:30:49 PM · #7
Originally posted by BradP:

Yup. There you are and skydiving no less. LOL
Full version, looks like a decent seller too.
With a Credit Card, you always have fraud protection too!

Well? Did ya get it?


Yeah. $61.00 after shipping. If it is real...then way cool! If not...atleast it is under $100... and not too much of a loss if I can't get my $$ back. Got try. :)

And yeah... That's me on ebay. Plain ole Ninjamom was taken. Since I love skydiving I thought I would just add it on there. :)
02/04/2005 11:42:57 PM · #8
It says without the box - my first thought is that it's going to be crakkkkkked. :)

M
02/04/2005 11:48:11 PM · #9
Hey NinjaMom...
You'll have to tell us if everything is okay...
Based on his rating, I'm sure your safe...not to worry.
02/04/2005 11:52:21 PM · #10
Originally posted by mavrik:

It says without the box - my first thought is that it's going to be crakkkkkked. :)

M


"crakkkkkked." ????
02/04/2005 11:52:50 PM · #11
Originally posted by rmtm333:

Hey NinjaMom...
You'll have to tell us if everything is okay...
Based on his rating, I'm sure your safe...not to worry.


Definitely will. I had to take a chance. :)
02/04/2005 11:58:51 PM · #12
Hey, even if its boxed with all the documentation, did the owner remove it from his/her pc before selling it? do you have proof? Think carefully about buying software on ebay (or wherever) licenses are predominately restricted to one pc.

If you want to be above the law and own a legal copy go to a reputable dealer, if you want to be amongst the (ever growing) band of owners of dodgy software then don't pay for it, see a work colleague and get it for free.

btw, I'm one of the former for all of my software ;)

eidited four speiling

Message edited by author 2005-02-05 00:00:32.
02/05/2005 12:04:12 AM · #13
Cracked, stolen, pirated, not legal - and you may have trouble registering it.

M
02/05/2005 12:09:16 AM · #14
Originally posted by mavrik:

Cracked, stolen, pirated, not legal - and you may have trouble registering it.

M


I had that issue with Norton 2004. I bought it off ebay last year and it was cheap. I thought I was getting a good deal. When it arrived it had no box and the code didn't work. It had already expired its useages (since you can only register some products so many times).

The people did fix the issue for me though, but I can tell you that it was very dodgy. The program must have been second hand or something or a fake. But the fact if it was a brand new product, I should not have had trouble with the registration at all.
02/05/2005 12:20:30 AM · #15
I'll let you know how it goes. I know. It may be too good to be true...probably is too good too be true. I am keeping my documentation and we will see.
02/05/2005 09:17:14 AM · #16
This auction is for the full version for windows operating systems. It is for the CD ONLY which comes with the serial number. This is a fully functional version. This item retails for $650. The only difference is there is no manual, no packaging and the install disc is a replicate. All install disks are guarenteed. No Refunds. Guaranteed to work.. Good luck and happy bidding!

Found this on one of the auctions on ebay. I hope yours didn't say this.

"install disc is a replicate"
02/05/2005 09:44:44 AM · #17
Many people sell the 'old' version once they upgrade. Not truly legal, but that is one way to get an 'authentic' CD.

I got an OEM version of XP Pro off ebay, still shrinkwrapped. no probs.
I got a $10 copy of Paperport, still in the box, the previous version. Works fine. I then got an email from ebay.com - the seller was in trouble for selling software 'illegally'. The seller claimed it was because it was sold too cheap (some companies have some rule about this). i have no idea - the XP deal was shadier (was supposed to come with 'hardware' and didn't). He sold some 200 copies in a month...

Go register for a class at your local community college. get a student ID. go buy the student version. You'll be legit and still spend less than $650.
02/05/2005 09:44:48 AM · #18
Originally posted by NinjaMom:

I'll let you know how it goes. I know. It may be too good to be true...probably is too good too be true. I am keeping my documentation and we will see.

You'll get an installable, workable, full copy of PS7 that you won't be able to register or use as an upgrade platform for subsequent versions.

Message edited by author 2005-02-05 09:45:20.
02/05/2005 09:56:38 AM · #19
mom

I just got bit by a similar deal. Bought it online as 'bundled' software that was not sold with a computer because the CS version was now used. I was advised shortly after PS7 was never bundled. Even if it had been, it's still a violation of the license to sell it. The CD appeared factory sealed. Seals can be easily duplicated, though.

I'm $50 poorer and a lot wiser about software scams. When you get the software, go to the Adobe site and try to register the serial number. If the site won't accept it, guess what?

Unless you're willing to use software that's probably being sold in violation of the licensing (ie, illegally), I'd suggest you cancel the transaction.

Message edited by author 2005-02-05 09:58:45.
02/05/2005 11:58:22 AM · #20
Originally posted by rex07734:

This auction is for the full version for windows operating systems. It is for the CD ONLY which comes with the serial number. This is a fully functional version. This item retails for $650. The only difference is there is no manual, no packaging and the install disc is a replicate. All install disks are guarenteed. No Refunds. Guaranteed to work.. Good luck and happy bidding!

Found this on one of the auctions on ebay. I hope yours didn't say this.

"install disc is a replicate"


No... My didn't say anything about a replicate.
02/05/2005 11:59:59 AM · #21
Originally posted by Prof_Fate:

Many people sell the 'old' version once they upgrade. Not truly legal, but that is one way to get an 'authentic' CD.

I got an OEM version of XP Pro off ebay, still shrinkwrapped. no probs.
I got a $10 copy of Paperport, still in the box, the previous version. Works fine. I then got an email from ebay.com - the seller was in trouble for selling software 'illegally'. The seller claimed it was because it was sold too cheap (some companies have some rule about this). i have no idea - the XP deal was shadier (was supposed to come with 'hardware' and didn't). He sold some 200 copies in a month...

Go register for a class at your local community college. get a student ID. go buy the student version. You'll be legit and still spend less than $650.


I have been registered with NYIP... Can that student ID get me s student version?
02/05/2005 12:02:39 PM · #22
Originally posted by swagman:

mom

I just got bit by a similar deal. Bought it online as 'bundled' software that was not sold with a computer because the CS version was now used. I was advised shortly after PS7 was never bundled. Even if it had been, it's still a violation of the license to sell it. The CD appeared factory sealed. Seals can be easily duplicated, though.

I'm $50 poorer and a lot wiser about software scams. When you get the software, go to the Adobe site and try to register the serial number. If the site won't accept it, guess what?

Unless you're willing to use software that's probably being sold in violation of the licensing (ie, illegally), I'd suggest you cancel the transaction.


I plan on doing this if the serial number doesn't work. I also plan on reporting the seller if that is the case. Worse case...I helped stop on scam one ebay.

Message edited by author 2005-02-05 12:02:58.
02/05/2005 12:37:43 PM · #23
I have PS 7, I loaded it using the serial number, but never bothered to register it. In this case, I could sell it to someone else and it would register fine. I get all the updates etc, no problem.

Just a note, I don't intend selling it.

Most of my software is unregistered, although it is all legitimate, fully legal software. Most of the time, I forget to register, plus I don't want all the e-mails from software companies trying to sell me their entire range. So, NinjaMom's PS 7 could be a legit copy!

Steve
02/08/2005 08:56:20 AM · #24
No, no, no!

These are pirated copies ... don't buy em!


02/18/2005 08:44:40 AM · #25
Well... It would appear that I won't even get a disk at all. Guess I don't have to worry about if it is a legal copy or not. Now to trying to get my $$ back.
Pages:  
Current Server Time: 01/23/2022 07:35:52 AM

Please log in or register to post to the forums.


Home - Challenges - Community - League - Photos - Cameras - Lenses - Learn - Prints! - Help - Terms of Use - Privacy - Top ^
DPChallenge, and website content and design, Copyright © 2001-2022 Challenging Technologies, LLC.
All digital photo copyrights belong to the photographers and may not be used without permission.
Proudly hosted by Sargasso Networks. Current Server Time: 01/23/2022 07:35:52 AM EST.