DPChallenge: A Digital Photography Contest You are not logged in. (log in or register
 

DPChallenge Forums >> Tutorials >> Dodging and Burning in Photoshop
Pages:  
Showing posts 51 - 66 of 66, (reverse)
AuthorThread
10/19/2005 02:49:22 PM · #51
As a new user to this site, I thank you for an awsome tutorial that Has me wanting to put into practice what you have taught.

Regards

Mark
05/05/2006 07:55:41 AM · #52
Very effective, understandable and well directed tutorial. Sometimes we forget about the less utilized tools we have in our tool box. Thanks for reminding me.

Sherwin
06/04/2006 12:00:44 PM · #53
excellent tutorials. i was looking for one on dodging and burning thanks
07/27/2006 11:25:49 AM · #54
Thank you so much Pedro! This was incredibly helpful. I was one that used it very ineffectively -- so didn't really use them at all, except maybe to lighten teeth or the whites of eyes. Realizing that you only turn your exposure to 3 or in extreme instances 9 was the key to me. Can't wait to make it work for me! THANKS!

07/28/2006 01:16:13 PM · #55
To increase contrast in specific areas of an image you could also use a brightness/contrast or levels or curves adjustment layer, mask it and paint back selectively with the brush tool in much the same fashion.

With the brush you can then remask, painting with black if you overdo it on certain areas.. Find that harder to control with the otherwise nice tools dodge/burn...

07/28/2006 01:32:40 PM · #56
So it was you???? (sorry I didn`t remember who wrote the tutorial that made me change my views on photoshop)I love you!!! jajaja, I still suck at dodging and burning but at least now I have an idea of what do they do :D thanks a lot!
01/15/2007 12:55:45 PM · #57
I was looking for a good dodge and burn tutorial and this one is perfect. Huge thanks from a slow-learning newbie! :)

Message edited by author 2007-01-15 12:55:59.
01/15/2007 01:32:55 PM · #58
There are alternative dodge and burn techniques you might also want to try with Photoshop.

The dodge and burn technique I like is painting with black(burn) and white(dodge) on a 50% greyscale layer that gives a more natural result. That is because it mixes very smoothly with the existing tones and allows more subtle control with a low opacity brush. It doesn't use PS's dodge or burn tools at all. You can also paint with colors on the 50% layer for nice color tone and saturation adjustments. It is described here:
//www.bairarteditions.com/pages/tutorials/photoshop/exdandb.html

Another alternative dodge and burn technique is found here:
//www.outdooreyes.com/photo89.php3

Message edited by author 2007-01-15 14:13:32.
01/15/2007 01:36:00 PM · #59
Originally posted by stdavidson:

There are alternative dodge and burn techniques you might also want to try with Photoshop.

The dodge and burn technique I like is painting with black(burn) and white(dodge) on a 50% greyscale layer that gives a more natural result. That is because it mixes very smoothly with the existing tones and allows more subtle control with a low opacity brush. It doesn't use PS's dodge or burn tools at all. You can also paint with colors on the 50% layer for nice color tone and saturation adjustments. It is described here:
//www.bairarteditions.com/pages/tutorials/photoshop/exdandb.html

Another alternative dodge and burn technique is found here:
//www.outdooreyes.com/photo89.php3


Fixing links. I'm with Steve; I almost never use the D/B tools, preferring to work with brushes on an overlay layer filled with 50% neutral gray.

R.
01/15/2007 02:13:01 PM · #60
Originally posted by Bear_Music:

Fixing links.

Thanks Robert. I'm not on my normal machine and did not realize the links weren't "live". :)
01/15/2007 02:22:00 PM · #61
Originally posted by Bear_Music:

I'm with Steve; I almost never use the D/B tools, preferring to work with brushes on an overlay layer filled with 50% neutral gray.


Ditto. However, I prefer to use a softlight layer.
01/15/2007 02:23:40 PM · #62
Originally posted by fotomann_forever:

Originally posted by Bear_Music:

I'm with Steve; I almost never use the D/B tools, preferring to work with brushes on an overlay layer filled with 50% neutral gray.


Ditto. However, I prefer to use a softlight layer.


I haven't really experimented with that. Tell me why it works better for you?

R.
01/15/2007 02:43:40 PM · #63
Originally posted by Bear_Music:


I haven't really experimented with that. Tell me why it works better for you?


The results, to me, from the softlight layer seem to be more subtle and transparent than the overlay layer - works better with skin tones.

However, in cases of needing to do drastic dodge/burn (eg. cleaning up black/white backgrounds), it's often not enough and I do have to switch to overlay.
01/23/2007 02:05:37 AM · #64
Hi. I wrote a short tutorial on my blog for a friend about the use of Dodge and Burn too, just last night. Was going to post it here in the Forum but I found this one! Great tut.

I was going to ask for pointers and corrections on my tut, so here it is: //www.singleshutter.com/index12.htm . It could also help newbies trying out this tool.

Hope you guys can look at it, and maybe add your thoughts. Cheers!
01/23/2007 02:34:25 AM · #65
EXCELLENT down to earth tutorial for us newbies to burning and dodging ... thank you so much for spending the time to create it.
11/18/2008 12:09:48 AM · #66
Oh, exellence tutorial for me. I really need it to make our bw photo better. It's really efficace and usuaful. Thanks so much and hope that will see more this topic like that.

Message edited by author 2008-11-18 00:10:54.
Pages:  
Current Server Time: 11/25/2020 06:31:05 PM

Please log in or register to post to the forums.


Home - Challenges - Community - League - Photos - Cameras - Lenses - Learn - Prints! - Help - Terms of Use - Privacy - Top ^
DPChallenge, and website content and design, Copyright © 2001-2020 Challenging Technologies, LLC.
All digital photo copyrights belong to the photographers and may not be used without permission.
Proudly hosted by Sargasso Networks. Current Server Time: 11/25/2020 06:31:05 PM EST.