DPChallenge: A Digital Photography Contest You are not logged in. (log in or register
 

DPChallenge Forums >> Hardware and Software >> Olympus E-500
Pages:  
Showing posts 26 - 50 of 66, (reverse)
AuthorThread
10/22/2005 12:46:01 PM · #26
The E-500 has been added here.
10/22/2005 12:48:07 PM · #27
Originally posted by undieyatch:

Noise above iso 400 is unfortunately for the time being still be a factor when buying an Olympus.


For me the iso performance of the Olympus is a plus not a minus. With the D100 and then the D70s that I've owned I have longed for a iso 50, but was stuck with the min of 200. I dislike using ND filters. The Olympus has a 100 which is much better for me than the 200. Also I noticed in the Review that the ISO ratings of the Olympus were spot on, where as the Canon XT's ISO 100 was actually 125.

I see so much talk here about how wonderful the iso performance of the D20 is, and how its able to take great indoor sporting event shots @ 1600. Well thats great for those who do that type of photography, but there are many photographers where those benefits are meaningless. In the last 20 so years of serious photography, I can only think of one occasion where I used film faster than ISO 160. That was to shoot B&Ws wedding at an art museum where flash was not allowed.
10/22/2005 12:50:00 PM · #28
Originally posted by kirbic:

The E-500 has been added here.


Its so much prettier with the flash down.
10/22/2005 12:52:14 PM · #29
Point me to a pic on white... :-)
10/22/2005 01:05:14 PM · #30
how bout this one:
E-500

Message edited by author 2005-10-22 13:06:02.
10/22/2005 01:16:23 PM · #31
Originally posted by lepidus:

how bout this one:
E-500


Tooo small ;-)
10/22/2005 01:21:32 PM · #32
Hey Steven, I'm thinking about getting one. What's your take? Do you like the e-300?
10/22/2005 01:31:55 PM · #33
Originally posted by lepidus:

how bout this one:
E-500


Changed the pic :-)
10/22/2005 01:40:54 PM · #34
Originally posted by hyperfocal:

Originally posted by undieyatch:

Noise above iso 400 is unfortunately for the time being still be a factor when buying an Olympus.


For me the iso performance of the Olympus is a plus not a minus. With the D100 and then the D70s that I've owned I have longed for a iso 50, but was stuck with the min of 200. I dislike using ND filters. The Olympus has a 100 which is much better for me than the 200. Also I noticed in the Review that the ISO ratings of the Olympus were spot on, where as the Canon XT's ISO 100 was actually 125.

I see so much talk here about how wonderful the iso performance of the D20 is, and how its able to take great indoor sporting event shots @ 1600. Well thats great for those who do that type of photography, but there are many photographers where those benefits are meaningless. In the last 20 so years of serious photography, I can only think of one occasion where I used film faster than ISO 160. That was to shoot B&Ws wedding at an art museum where flash was not allowed.


I agree..... lower iso is optimum for most work I do too. Low iso is in a technical way - best quality...... ie. an investment in Kodachrome 25, that makes me cringe when I think about the cost. The only exception for better noise management in the Olympus digital system might be low light situations. At low and normal iso, the economical Olympus is fantastic and in regard to noise, as you say for many photographers they will & IMO should find "those benefits are meaningless...." Journalists and sports photographers, at this point in time - will and probably should opt for an alternative such as canon/nikon sensors.
10/22/2005 02:55:43 PM · #35
Originally posted by lepidus:

Hey Steven, I'm thinking about getting one. What's your take? Do you like the e-300?

I like the e-300 a lot, but I've fallen in love with the 4/3 system as a whole. So much so that I think I'm going to list my last D70 on ebay this weekend. Why...

Low ISO (less ND filter use)

MIRROR LOCKUP I love my macros. I really think Nikon missed the boat not carrying this over from the d100 to the d70

SIZE (my 50-200 is a hell-of-a-lot smaller, lighter, sharper, faster, more robust than my 135-400 sigma for my Nikon.) Plus I don't think since I got the e-300 I've left home without it. With the kit lens it even fits in the glove box!

IR the e-300 kicks butt with infrared. I don't think the e-500 (which I will eventually get) will be nearly as good w/ IR because the additional hot mirror filter in front of the sensor thatís not on the e-300.

DUST or lack there of. I've taken almost 1000 images with the e-300, and I have yet had to clean the sensor. And Iíve purposely been not that careful when changing lenses, left the body cap off, etc. With one of my D70s I bought the camera and the 12-24 at the same time and mounted them without EVER taking the lens off, and I STILL GOT DUST.

But probably my favorite thing (and weirdest) about the e-300 is that it lets me use a lot of my favorite old Nikon lenses. With the D70 all my great manual focus lenses were virtually obsolete because the internal meter (including flash metering) would not work. Using this adapter I now have made all that glass viable again. Metering (both ambient & flash) is working again, and I can even shoot in aperture priority mode if I so desire.

Plus look what I have to look forward to...

' . substr('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/27562/thumb/247611.jpg', strrpos('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/27562/thumb/247611.jpg', '/') + 1) . ' ' . substr('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/27562/thumb/247612.jpg', strrpos('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/27562/thumb/247612.jpg', '/') + 1) . '

Negs..

Yes, Olympus' flash system is not nearly as sophisticated (don't think you can use two flashes & still be TTL) and itís not wireless.

Several ergonomic functions I prefer on the Nikon. Like being able to delete an image or see the histogram as soon as I take it without extra button pushes. Also I'm so used to two command dials.
10/31/2005 07:31:42 PM · #36
Just wanted to let anyone that is considering the E-500 or for those who are just curious, Olympus has posted the full manual here in PDF form.
10/31/2005 07:36:22 PM · #37
Originally posted by hyperfocal:

But probably my favorite thing (and weirdest) about the e-300 is that it lets me use a lot of my favorite old Nikon lenses. With the D70 all my great manual focus lenses were virtually obsolete because the internal meter (including flash metering) would not work. Using this adapter I now have made all that glass viable again. Metering (both ambient & flash) is working again, and I can even shoot in aperture priority mode if I so desire.


You've managed to mount Nikon AI glass on there? - And with metering??...

What's the adapter called?
10/31/2005 07:40:59 PM · #38
Originally posted by jhonan:



You've managed to mount Nikon AI glass on there? - And with metering??...

What's the adapter called?


I really don't know what its called except nikon to fourthirds adapter. I purchased mine here.

' . substr('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/27562/thumb/238178.jpg', strrpos('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/27562/thumb/238178.jpg', '/') + 1) . '
10/31/2005 08:02:08 PM · #39
Now you've got me reading Oly E-500 reviews!.. Just when I thought I'd had my heart set on the Nikon D50.

Your profile lists the E500 as well as the E300 - Do you have both?
10/31/2005 09:10:12 PM · #40
Originally posted by jhonan:

Now you've got me reading Oly E-500 reviews!.. Just when I thought I'd had my heart set on the Nikon D50.

Your profile lists the E500 as well as the E300 - Do you have both?


I've had the E-300 for a couple of months now. I bought the E-500 from dell last week with an estimated delivery date of 11-9, so I don't have it yet. The best "hand on" review and e-system info I've seen is at wrotniak.net.

The D50 is a good camera. I've been shooting Nikon since the mid-eigthties, but to me the E-system just makes a lot of sense. Also I do alot of backpacking & outdoor photography. The build quality of Olympus is much greater than the comparably priced competition.
10/31/2005 09:15:53 PM · #41
Mine just came in today. Battery still charging when I left for work. So no pics yet. Maybe I can get something for one of tomorrow's challenges.
10/31/2005 09:26:59 PM · #42
It is listed on the Best Buy website. I'm going to see if it's at our store tomorrow.

I posted in another thread that I am looking at getting the D70, but the more I am reading about the E-500 now I'm not sure. Seems a very good deal since it is on sale right now with the 2 lens kit. Other then that I have not heard much about it other then people who have the E-300 suggesting I look at the 500.
Either way, I will be looking and hopefully buying this weekend. I guess this is another one to put in my final pick lol.
10/31/2005 09:40:01 PM · #43
I have spent too much time in the local Camera store here, I just couldn't make a decision on what camera I wanted, I was torn between the Canon 350 Rebel, the Nikon D70 and the Olympus E500. My brother-in-law whos a died in the wool Nikon fan told me that the Nikon was the best, but all he has ever had has been Nikon, and for him money is pretty much no object, he buys the latest and greatest Nikon as soon is comes out. For me, I'm updating from a 7 year old camera that cost $500 in its day. Money is an object, after much consideration and checking reviews and holding all the cameras, Sunday I bought the E-500, from the local National Camera Exchange. Haven't played with it "since" its a birthday present and the wife wrapped it as soon as we got home till my birthday:( But after holding, and taking several pics I like the Olympus the best.
10/31/2005 09:46:41 PM · #44
You are no help Mquinn:O)

Time will tell this weekend for me lol. I have ALL day ALONE tomorrow since hubby is taking a day of leave and taking our daughter with him to a friends farm. You know what I'll be doing lol. I'll be hitting every camera shop I can find.

Like I said in another thread, this is worse than car shopping.
10/31/2005 10:05:38 PM · #45
Car shopping is easy, buy a Toyota:) But then again I own an autoshop. My newest vehical is a 1992, and still runs/looks like new. The camera buying part, its a hobby, has been for quite awhile, My old Canon 35mm from the the mid-80's was a good camera. When I got my 1.3MP Olympus I loved it an still do. I'm a value guy, and this is what I found in the E500
11/01/2005 07:15:43 AM · #46
yes car shopping is easy lol- i own a honda and it's my second one. Going on 150k miles and the only thing I've done to is change the oil ever 3k miles.

So the value is good, is the quality as good as the Nikon and Canon?

I'm going to look at the E-500 today. LIke I said, I don't want to make a decision that I'm going to regret later on.
11/01/2005 08:21:14 AM · #47
I bought the E-500 last week (finally found a place that actually had the 2 lens kit). LOVE IT!! Of course, I was upgrading from a non-dSLR that was 4 yrs old. I played with the Canon and Nikon, and to me, the Olympus just felt the best.

I have had a ton of fun playing with it in the last week, and hoping to submit a pic for one of the challenges today.
11/01/2005 09:15:50 AM · #48
E-500 two lens kit buyers. Some of the kits went out with a 17.5-45 lens not the 14-45 as promoted or posted on the box. Olympus is aware, and I'm waiting for my replacement lens. Other than that, the camera is great!!!!
11/01/2005 10:36:41 AM · #49
Originally posted by BMacD:

E-500 two lens kit buyers. Some of the kits went out with a 17.5-45 lens not the 14-45 as promoted or posted on the box. Olympus is aware, and I'm waiting for my replacement lens. Other than that, the camera is great!!!!


I hope that my standard kit comes with the 17.5-45 instead of the 14-45. I already have another 14-45, and the deal I got from Dell made it cheaper to buy the kit than the body alone. Plus the 17.5 has 52mm threads instead of the 58mm threads of the 14-45 (I have about 20 or so 52mm filters and the new 35mm macro has 52mm threads).

Message edited by author 2005-11-01 10:37:41.
11/01/2005 10:42:41 AM · #50
Originally posted by MQuinn:

Car shopping is easy, buy a Toyota:) But then again I own an autoshop. My newest vehical is a 1992, and still runs/looks like new. The camera buying part, its a hobby, has been for quite awhile, My old Canon 35mm from the the mid-80's was a good camera. When I got my 1.3MP Olympus I loved it an still do. I'm a value guy, and this is what I found in the E500


I owned an Olympus E-20N. And that think was built! It was a hefty weight but so solid. (Better build than my Canon 20D.) I imagine for competitive sake Olympus has brought the build quality down a notch to compete in the sub-$1,000 market.

But I will say this, my E-20N got more vibrant colors than my 20D. I think Olympus gets a lot of vibrancy. Where as my Canon 20D is fast & unbelieveable in low-light. But I think based my experience with Olympus' higher end that I'd recommend their products.

I've even contemplated getting the E-500kit for my fiance in the near future.

Message edited by author 2005-11-01 10:42:49.
Pages:  
Current Server Time: 09/20/2021 10:45:06 AM

Please log in or register to post to the forums.


Home - Challenges - Community - League - Photos - Cameras - Lenses - Learn - Prints! - Help - Terms of Use - Privacy - Top ^
DPChallenge, and website content and design, Copyright © 2001-2021 Challenging Technologies, LLC.
All digital photo copyrights belong to the photographers and may not be used without permission.
Proudly hosted by Sargasso Networks. Current Server Time: 09/20/2021 10:45:06 AM EDT.