DPChallenge: A Digital Photography Contest You are not logged in. (log in or register
 

DPChallenge Forums >> Current Challenge >> Environmental Scores are Mental?.......
Pages:  
Showing posts 26 - 50 of 135, (reverse)
AuthorThread
05/15/2006 09:27:59 AM · #26
Votes: 29
Views: 42
Avg Vote: 4.3103

*sigh*
05/15/2006 09:38:49 AM · #27
Well, I'm sad to say, that I pulled my entry at the last minute last night.... Would have been a touch and go for a DNMC.

Have voted on 37% of challenge entries, and it seems my votes are higher than normal. Some really nice photographs so far.

Ev

05/15/2006 10:06:44 AM · #28
Votes: 39
Views: 80
Avg Vote: 6.8462
Comments: 9
Favorites: 0
Wish Lists: 0

Was over a 7 for a while. Still could be a PB. Great comments!
05/15/2006 10:25:19 AM · #29
I was at 6,7 after 22 votes but am now at 6.1364 after 44 votes. Quite interesting actually as I've never seen such a rapid fall before.
05/15/2006 10:28:00 AM · #30
I think mine will get pulled down alot for beeing candid.
I didn't know that environmental portraits couldn't be candid.

Votes: 37
Views: 49
Avg Vote: 5.3243
Comments: 1
Favorites: 0
Wish Lists: 0
Updated: 05/15/06 10:23 am


05/15/2006 10:28:26 AM · #31
Originally posted by andri:

I was at 6,7 after 22 votes but am now at 6.1364 after 44 votes. Quite interesting actually as I've never seen such a rapid fall before.


Teehee...I've seen a rapid fall before. Try having a shot where you first voter gives you a 10 and your second one gives you a 1. THEN you will see a drop that will also drop your jaw! :)
05/15/2006 10:55:41 AM · #32
i never seen so many pict that do not fit the challenge
This challenge takes the lead, i need to stop voting as it just lowers my voting average
05/15/2006 10:56:38 AM · #33
Originally posted by Pano:

i never seen so many pict that do not fit the challenge
This challenge takes the lead, i need to stop voting as it just lowers my voting average


Could that many people have misunderstood the challenge, or perhaps is it you?
05/15/2006 11:07:54 AM · #34
Originally posted by idnic:


Could that many people have misunderstood the challenge, or perhaps is it you?


Valid question.. but this challenge does not leave much room for interpretation. never the less i take your point
05/15/2006 11:19:00 AM · #35
Originally posted by pawdrix:

... I asked DPCers to think a bit...LOL...bad move. ...
You sure got that right.

Originally posted by jaded_youth:

5.54 now. anyone else tanking big time??
Hard for me to think of a 5.54 as in the tank. That's above my average, and yours. You must really be jaded. ;)

Originally posted by idnic:

One of the best photographs I've EVER taken and its getting beaten badly by the challenge nazis...... sometimes this place amazes me!
So any voter who does not appreciate your shot as much, or more, than you do is a nazi? I thought that you had been around here long enough to get a fairly accurate idea of how the voters are so as not to be amazed at this point. They are fickle and unpredictable. People should realize that every entry is a gamble to a certain extent.

Originally posted by pano:

... i need to stop voting as it just lowers my voting average ...
That's not a good reason to stop voting, or change the way you are voting.

Message edited by author 2006-05-15 11:20:37.
05/15/2006 11:29:52 AM · #36
Originally posted by coolhar:


Originally posted by pano:

... i need to stop voting as it just lowers my voting average ...
That's not a good reason to stop voting, or change the way you are voting.


yeah i guess you are right.. i guess i just needed to express that
05/15/2006 12:20:35 PM · #37
I posted this quote as I realize it's a difficult thing for many, but there are several great entries in this challenge which are outside the box of normal "portraits" and are going to suffer in the voting for that reason. The challenge is "Environmental" which makes it different enough that it deserved further definition. I'm enjoying viewing some really interesting entries.

This from "PEOPLEINPLACE"
environmental portraits from the Mira Goddard Study Centre, Ryerson University.

“Simply defined, an environmental portrait is an image of a person in a place. How this subject interacts with this place, whether it be a home, workplace or public space, and how the photographer interacts with both the place and the sitter, are elements that charge this definition and define the experience for us as viewers.”

05/15/2006 12:34:56 PM · #38
FWIW - here's my take . . .

There are several entries that do not meet the challenge requirements.

Environmental Portrait, obviously, requires a portrait element and a environment element. While I don't like boxing people in creatively, the challenge is pretty specific. If you look up the definitions on Google,

Portrait -

1. a painting of a person's face
2. portrayal: a word picture of a person's appearance and character
3. any likeness of a person; "the photographer made excellent portraits"

The operative words here are "people" and "face" This came from Princeton, there are many more. By definition, if the photo did not have a person or a face, it is not a portrait. Personally, I did not take off if the subject was an animal with face. Bugs, ropes, cars, airplanes, etc. IMO did not meet the challenge.

Environmental Portrait -

1. A photograph in which the subject's surroundings are important to the portrait.

2. An environmental portrait is a portrait executed in the subject's usual environment, for example their home or workplace, and typically illuminates the subject's life and surroundings. The term is most frequently used of a genre of photography.

There are several nice shots in the challenge, but are lacking in the environment part of the challenge. If I voted an entry low based on this, I included an explanation.

If you had to rely solely on the title to "get" the environment, I don't think you were successful. The title can clarify, but you should be able to get the bulk of the environmental information from the picture.

These rules, as in all artistic rules, can be broken for various reasons. If the rules are broken there must be a compelling reason to do so.

My 2 cents worth.

05/15/2006 12:46:29 PM · #39
Well, I just voted. And gee *sigh*, it was rough and is going to be even rougher on my overall voting average.

To me I was looking for shots that upon first glance told me something about the person and the environment without the title. It seems a lot of images were of just whatever portrait and they let the title make up the environmental part. For an example not used in challenge: A picture of a mans face close up and grunged, and the title "A coal miner". This to me is totally unacceptable. Had he been doing his job in the coal mines, better points.

Another problem I particularly saw is that a lot of entries that do have all the elements of environmental portraits are a problem because of poorly done techs such as blurred shots, or blown out shots, etc.

I gave a few points on techs, but to me there are very few actual environmental portraits in this challenge that both meet all the elements and have good techs. It was a really rough one.

05/15/2006 12:55:44 PM · #40
Originally posted by jaded_youth:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
5.54 now. anyone else tanking big time??
Hard for me to think of a 5.54 as in the tank. That's above my average, and yours. You must really be jaded. ;)


Not in the tank overall. just in contrast to the almost 6 my score was at this morning at 20 votes. i was hoping to break 6 again. but its not looking hopeful due to the steady downslide ive been experiencing.
05/15/2006 01:02:56 PM · #41
I have to agree with espy. Some of the photos do no meet the challenge. I just quicky went through all the photos, as I always do before I actually vote, and some unfortunately will be scored below five for the simple fact that they did not truly try to capture the essence of the person they were photographing. They simply took a picture and applied a title. I tried to take photos of people in their element but I could just not find one that truly captured their reality. I think this is what the challenge was about. On the upside there are two photos in particular that I know will score a 10.
dc
05/15/2006 01:05:44 PM · #42
Originally posted by dcano:

I have to agree with espy. Some of the photos do no meet the challenge. I just quicky went through all the photos, as I always do before I actually vote, and some unfortunately will be scored below five for the simple fact that they did not truly try to capture the essence of the person they were photographing. They simply took a picture and applied a title. I tried to take photos of people in their element but I could just not find one that truly captured their reality. I think this is what the challenge was about. On the upside there are two photos in particular that I know will score a 10.
dc


Ooooo, oooo, I hope that one of them is mine!!!! :)

I did find 3 that I felt caught both the theme very well and techs. I found one that I particularly am very fond of - other than my own of course :)
05/15/2006 01:11:10 PM · #43
Originally posted by jaded_youth:

Not in the tank overall. just in contrast to the almost 6 my score was at this morning at 20 votes. i was hoping to break 6 again. but its not looking hopeful due to the steady downslide ive been experiencing.

In that case I hope it goes back up to where it was, and higher, for you. GL
05/15/2006 01:12:26 PM · #44
Originally posted by scarbrd:

FWIW - here's my take . . .

Environmental Portrait, obviously, requires a portrait element and a environment element. While I don't like boxing people in creatively, the challenge is pretty specific. If you look up the definitions on Google,

My 2 cents worth.


David, I wouldn't put too much artistic weight on a Googled definition. I think that might be a rampant DPC problem and that's where the creativity on the site starts to die off. Just an opinion, although those definitions are a respectable starting point.

Votes: 50
Views: 83
Avg Vote: 6.3000
Comments: 5
Favorites: 1

It seems like people could loosen up a bit but I'll agree that there are a good share of images that I totally have no idea why they are in this Challenge.

Message edited by author 2006-05-15 13:16:18.
05/15/2006 01:15:31 PM · #45
Originally posted by sabphoto:


and you miss one word in the description and can totally ruin a submission...yes everyone that DNMC is most likly mine. I usually read these things like crazy to make sure I have all the details but got side-tracked...oh well can't seem to make it past 6 with my entires anyway, why should this one be different.

Good luck to everyone that DID do what the details said.


I thought I did, but obviously my command of english isn't good enough :(

"Photograph a portrait that says something about the subject within the framework of their own environment."

This is what I though I did, but obviously it has to be of a person, including their face, not just a person doing an activity in its natural environment. Not quite understanding the word 'portrait', it is so close to my languages word which at least to me conveys a slightly less rigorous meaning. Oh, well, live and learn.

Håkon (4.0 class ;) )
05/15/2006 01:23:35 PM · #46
Originally posted by pawdrix:

Originally posted by scarbrd:

FWIW - here's my take . . .

Environmental Portrait, obviously, requires a portrait element and a environment element. While I don't like boxing people in creatively, the challenge is pretty specific. If you look up the definitions on Google,

My 2 cents worth.


David, I wouldn't put too much artistic weight on a Googled definition. I think that might be a rampant DPC problem and that's where the creativity on the site starts to die off. Just an opinion, although those definitions are a respectable starting point.

Votes: 50
Views: 83
Avg Vote: 6.3000
Comments: 5
Favorites: 1

It seems like people could loosen up a bit but I'll agree that there are a good share of images that I totally have no idea why they are in this Challenge.


I agree about not sticking to a text book definition, just look back at a view of my questionale entries, the definitions are as you say, a starting point.

That said, if we don't stick to some sort of criteria for the assignment, we may as well just have weekly "Photo Contests" with no limitations. To me the beauty of these challenges is in the limitations placed on us and still strive to be as creative as possible.

My entry it trying so hard to stay above a 7. Good luck everyone!

Votes: 56
Views: 115
Avg Vote: 6.9821
Comments: 13
Favorites: 0
Wish Lists: 0

Message edited by author 2006-05-15 13:23:56.
05/15/2006 01:35:18 PM · #47
Well, my score is dropping like a rock. I got up this morning to 5.9, and now I'm down to 5.4something. That sucks. I hope it goes back up.

A lot of these pictures seem more candid than portrait to me.

All the flower people are getting a one.

Message edited by author 2006-05-15 13:35:49.
05/15/2006 01:38:30 PM · #48
I awoke this morning to find out not only was my dpc cinema shot a top ten entry but also that I'd progressed into week two of the LoD. Not only that but my environmental shot was looking pretty healthy after 17 votes. It has however dropped 1 full point this past 11 hours (I must not look at the scores until Tuesday in future!)

I've learnt my lesson about calling out voters and (as has been mentioned already) take it all with a pinch of salt (even if it sometimes slips into an open wound).


05/15/2006 01:48:46 PM · #49
Originally posted by ragamuffingirl:

Well, my score is dropping like a rock. I got up this morning to 5.9, and now I'm down to 5.4something. That sucks. I hope it goes back up.

A lot of these pictures seem more candid than portrait to me.

All the flower people are getting a one.


I love the way you phrased that...LMAO..."the flower people"..LOL.

Don't worry. I am sure it will go back up. It is just an influx today of low votes being cast, as usually it is on the first day. They will go back and reacess, and you should see your score go back up. At least this is a trend that I have noticed even with my own entries.
05/15/2006 01:51:20 PM · #50
I don't know, it was during the last day of voting that my entry in the last challenge dropped.

I love flowers as much as the next person, but I'm starting to think some people enter them into EVERY challenge just to be contrary.
Pages:  
Current Server Time: 08/02/2021 08:44:39 AM

Please log in or register to post to the forums.


Home - Challenges - Community - League - Photos - Cameras - Lenses - Learn - Prints! - Help - Terms of Use - Privacy - Top ^
DPChallenge, and website content and design, Copyright © 2001-2021 Challenging Technologies, LLC.
All digital photo copyrights belong to the photographers and may not be used without permission.
Proudly hosted by Sargasso Networks. Current Server Time: 08/02/2021 08:44:39 AM EDT.