DPChallenge: A Digital Photography Contest You are not logged in. (log in or register
 

DPChallenge Forums >> Out and About >> Destination GTG Yellowstone/Teton Nat; Parks
Pages:  
Showing posts 1 - 25 of 46, (reverse)
AuthorThread
06/21/2006 10:35:43 PM · #1
The Teton/Yellowstone trip is ON! We'll be going up Thurs. September 28th and coming home one Tuesday, October 3. Anyone that wants to join in for all or part of the trip is welcome. Just PM me for the details.

We had such a great time at our Southern Utah destination to Moab, that it was suggested we set up another trip to Yellowstone and Teton Nat'l Parks.

I've done a bit of checking. We could go the last week of September and hit the rutting season for elk and probably the fall colors. There is some availability for housing within both parks Yellowstone and the Teton Natl Parks. Some of the lodging closes on October 1st. Cabin/room rates run from $68 on up (good availability in the $100-120 range) and often there is camping nearby.

Post if you are interested. Let us know if you need to use the weekend, or if weekdays are okay.

Becky

fixed link

Message edited by author 2006-09-19 11:32:02.
06/21/2006 11:15:34 PM · #2
Put me down. (no really, go ahead, put me down)
06/22/2006 12:11:54 AM · #3
Well, I can't speak for John or Heidi but the end of September might be bad for me. Our company is in the process of building a new facility for us to move into in and around September. Along with the start of the ski season that might be difficult for me to get time off for.

I guess I'll have to say, maybe, maybe not?
06/22/2006 12:24:56 AM · #4
Damn! Again I might miss out. As with Utah this would be on my list and I would definately go but I leave for a month in China on October 3rd. If it is early enough in Septemeber I still may be able to make it.
06/22/2006 01:06:14 AM · #5
never been to either...back West now and might be interested. Wasn't West for the Moab GTG or would have been there. Keep updated.
06/22/2006 01:31:20 AM · #6
Count me in, Becky! Sounds fun!
06/22/2006 09:36:49 AM · #7
Kind of a bad time for me, like Steve said our company is moving around that time and ski season is around the corner so I am out doing tuning clinics. Also my step daughter is getting married on Sept. 23rd so we are going back East of that.

Don't count me out just yet, I made a mark on the calendar.
06/22/2006 11:32:32 AM · #8
That is something that I could probably do. I can't say for sure until it gets closer, and with exact dates. The question was asked about weekdays/weekends, and weekdays would work best for me. Weekends are always my busy time at work, being in the car business. But plan what you can. I'll keep this thread watched, and post back when there are more definite plans.

Scott
06/22/2006 11:51:39 AM · #9
I would suggest earlier in September 5-20 best. The park begins closing alot of the amenities by the 15th. Elk start buggeling before the 15th, weather is still reasonable, fall colors are better (fall starts in Yellowstone by mid-August in alot of the park), flyfishing is excellent in September and we're was thinking of doing the park a week or so after Labor Day.
06/22/2006 12:40:41 PM · #10
I am interested in this GTG. I would be flying in from Miami so it would be quite an excursion for me. I'd like to go if there is significant interest and a couple of days of the GTG to make it worthwhile.

I regret being unable to go to the Red Rock Country GTG, but I already had travel plans at the time (I think it was Dominican Republic that time). I'm going to the Virgin Islands on June 30th for a week and so I'll be ready for another trip in September.

I'll keep watching this thread to see what develops.
06/22/2006 12:45:36 PM · #11
Thanks for the heads-up Becky. This trip sounds fun. I don't have as much responsibility as John and Steve will have regarding our new building and moving, and I don't travel for work during ski season like they do so I may be able to spend weekend time up North and can probably add at least one extra day like Friday or Monday. I read vtruan's suggestions, looks like the weekend of Sept 15th might work for a few people. The last weekend of the month is tight for as I am going to Baltimore October 7th and taking a week off from work then.
06/22/2006 08:50:10 PM · #12
I was hoping for September 23rd or after. My school is Year-Round and all of my 720 students and the teachers will be in session until the 23rd. Then we drop to 360 students for the next 6 weeks until I'm back at full capacity for awhile.

It's possible I could take off September 14th and use the weekend (15th & 16th), but I'd be limited to just 3 days total. I fixed the link to Yellowstone in the 1st entry. It shows the possible reservation and there is very little available in park on any of those days. The best availability is in Mammoth (which is a very long drive for the Utah folks for a weekend) I'd hate to leave out any of the regulars that want to go, however.

We could look into staying in outlying cities and longer drives. West Yellowstone has quite a few accomodations.

Let me do a bit of checking on availablity for the weekend of Sept. 14 - 16.

Becky
06/22/2006 09:00:17 PM · #13
I would only need three days, but if it is a weekend, I will probably have to pass.
06/22/2006 09:07:18 PM · #14
Originally posted by traquino98:

I would only need three days, but if it is a weekend, I will probably have to pass.


We could go longer, with people joining and leaving depending on their schedules. We'd only have the larger group for a short time, but could accomodate more schedules. Any thoughts?

Update: There appears to be good availability in West Yellowstone, but the prices are still in the $100 - 175 range per night. Some of the smaller motels are running under $100.

Becky
06/22/2006 10:16:25 PM · #15
ah man.. I just booked a house in Maine for September.
06/23/2006 06:51:45 PM · #16
Originally posted by Nikolai1024:

ah man.. I just booked a house in Maine for September.


Cool ... how many bedrooms? What time should we be there ... hehe?
06/27/2006 10:18:52 PM · #17
Bump
06/27/2006 11:35:57 PM · #18
Sounds like a lot of fun, again too far out for a definate but will do everything we can to make it.
08/01/2006 12:08:22 AM · #19
This will be an amazing opportunity! Let's start finalizing dates. The Red Rock GTG was such a good time - this could be even more photo opps and more fun.
08/03/2006 11:38:20 PM · #20
There's been a bit of activity on this GTG with PM's and f-32's post. I haven't done any more on this because there wasn't alot of interest going. However, if we have a group of us, I'd still be interested, even if it's small.

We'd probably be looking at camping now, or some pretty high priced rooms. I'm cool with camping, especially in the parks. It's cheaper and puts us very close to the great sights.

JustinHewlett has shown some interest, so has David Terry. Six to eight would be a great sized group. So, what say you, group?

Becky
08/10/2006 10:33:41 AM · #21
Sounds fun! Sept. 23 is the absolute worst date to go for me, though, as I'm in charge of a festival event on that day. The week after or before would work well.
08/10/2006 10:39:22 AM · #22
I have had a few things change in the past couple of months so I am still a pencil in (closer to pen really). I will be out of town Sept. 20-24 but at this point that's all I have going on.
08/10/2006 10:50:10 AM · #23
I might be able to make it now as well, I would say that I'm more of a pencil than a pen at this point. hehehe point.


08/10/2006 10:50:20 AM · #24
Yellowstone sounds great! I haven't been there since I was a kid (pre-historic times), and Becky has never been.

Have you guys decided on dates yet?

08/10/2006 03:30:43 PM · #25
How about the week/end of Sept. 28 (Thurs.) through October 2 (Monday). We could start in the Tetons (I'm thinking Signal Mountain Campground or Lodge)for a couple days and then move up to Yellowstone for the last 2-3 days. Several of the Yellowstone campgrounds are still open. Camping is easier to find spots at this time of year, but there are some cabin/room openings available. It's also cold for camping, but that just makes the evening fires more enjoyable.

I know these dates may be a problem for Heidi, but earlier than Sept 23rd is a problem for me and we have several who can't make it that weekend.

Give me a yay or nay for Sept.28 - Oct.2.

Becky
Pages:  
Current Server Time: 12/05/2020 02:11:37 PM

Please log in or register to post to the forums.


Home - Challenges - Community - League - Photos - Cameras - Lenses - Learn - Prints! - Help - Terms of Use - Privacy - Top ^
DPChallenge, and website content and design, Copyright © 2001-2020 Challenging Technologies, LLC.
All digital photo copyrights belong to the photographers and may not be used without permission.
Proudly hosted by Sargasso Networks. Current Server Time: 12/05/2020 02:11:37 PM EST.