DPChallenge: A Digital Photography Contest You are not logged in. (log in or register
 

DPChallenge Forums >> General Discussion >> Coercing a snail to come out
Pages:  
Showing posts 1 - 25 of 34, (reverse)
AuthorThread
06/23/2006 06:00:11 AM · #1
Yes, I realise this topic seems overtly sexual in nature, but I'm actually interested in the real thing: how can i coerce a snail to come out of his house, without actually harming the creature. I'd like to use this for a next challenge.
06/23/2006 06:04:10 AM · #2
Put some lettuce near him and wait?
06/23/2006 06:05:11 AM · #3
I've spent some time trying this and I get no joy...

Snails are afraid of everything and anything you do makes it go back in... Leaving it alone and being patient is about the only thing...

I will add a couple of things, I do notice that once they go in, they take a LONG while before they come out fully again...

Also, I saw a documentary once that their response to visuals is VERY slow, but their response to tactile sensations is much quicker...
06/23/2006 06:17:06 AM · #4
Originally posted by eschelar:

I've spent some time trying this and I get no joy...

Snails are afraid of everything and anything you do makes it go back in... Leaving it alone and being patient is about the only thing...

I will add a couple of things, I do notice that once they go in, they take a LONG while before they come out fully again...

Also, I saw a documentary once that their response to visuals is VERY slow, but their response to tactile sensations is much quicker...


Hmmm... in this era of instant gratificalion that's not something I like to hear. But thanks anyway for the answer :)
06/23/2006 07:12:50 AM · #5
Have you try to blow warm air towards it? Sometimes children makes snails come out of their homes by singing to them (but in fact it is the warm air from their breathing that makes it come out).
Have fun, anyway!
06/23/2006 07:13:58 AM · #6
I did this very thing just a few days ago hoping for a 30 second exposure shot. He took ages, I had him on wet glass with a lettuce leaf near by. The shots I finaly got were rubbish. LOL
06/23/2006 07:31:18 AM · #7
I reckon if you put a couple of their mates nearby this would work. At least worth a try.

' . substr('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_challenge/498/thumb/338203.jpg', strrpos('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_challenge/498/thumb/338203.jpg', '/') + 1) . '

or just sit back and wait!

Message edited by author 2006-06-23 07:31:43.
06/23/2006 07:42:30 AM · #8
Singing to a snail, hm, I wonder what the neighbours will think. Well... I guess you never know.

Thanks all :)
06/23/2006 12:22:20 PM · #9
Hey penny, I was thinking the same thing!

I think it was the Neverending Story that had the racing snails right?

I wanted to do something like that... My stacked polarizers get really purple though...
06/23/2006 01:03:41 PM · #10
Shop Vac.
06/23/2006 01:05:30 PM · #11
hmmm - maybe if you hold a lit match to the outside of the closed end of his shell he'll make a hasty departure?
06/23/2006 01:06:04 PM · #12
Originally posted by Jacko:

Shop Vac.


ROFL!
06/23/2006 01:07:19 PM · #13
I hear they really like Salt.
06/23/2006 01:08:10 PM · #14
I cant even find any snails :( I think I'm looking in the wrong places. Found plenty of nasty ugly bugs but no snails :(
06/23/2006 01:08:29 PM · #15
Gosh poor snail...
06/23/2006 01:09:52 PM · #16
I kept a tank of snails for a while. They were most active at night and really liked humidity. Of course those things aren't conducive to photography, are they? Good luck.

Message edited by author 2006-06-23 13:15:37.
06/23/2006 01:10:49 PM · #17
I once turned a snail onto it's shell, and it twisted it's head, stuck in on the ground, and used that to twist it's body upright, and then he looked at me as if he was saying, "I'm not a turtle you idiot!" ;-)
06/23/2006 01:17:00 PM · #18
Did you know that snails spear each other during copulation?...ooops, wrong thread.
06/23/2006 01:18:39 PM · #19
Originally posted by ignite:

I once turned a snail onto it's shell, and it twisted it's head, stuck in on the ground, and used that to twist it's body upright, and then he looked at me as if he was saying, "I'm not a turtle you idiot!" ;-)


It's pretty bad to get an insulting look from a snail :-)
06/23/2006 01:27:48 PM · #20
Originally posted by fotomann_forever:

Originally posted by ignite:

I once turned a snail onto it's shell, and it twisted it's head, stuck in on the ground, and used that to twist it's body upright, and then he looked at me as if he was saying, "I'm not a turtle you idiot!" ;-)


It's pretty bad to get an insulting look from a snail :-)


Yeah it is ;-)
06/23/2006 02:06:09 PM · #21
My snail story was..

Skipping down a mountain( Goat-like way ) ..I nearly stepped on one.. the idiot stared at me.. I stared at it.. I took a couple of pics (These moutian snails are bloody friendly)..and went on my merry way..

I don't know if city snails have the same thing going on. Maybe a massage will work.................
06/23/2006 02:21:49 PM · #22
Reading this thread and the "did you know" thread is making me feel like I should be passing a joint around. I think I need to go lie down!
06/23/2006 02:28:13 PM · #23
When I took snail pictures, I just brought in several snails and put them on a smooth glass surface. The instant I put them down, they poked out their heads and starting sliming around. I don't know if it was the presence other snails, the smooth surface, the type of snail, or some other factor, but I couldn't keep those guys in their shells if I had wanted to.
06/23/2006 02:31:38 PM · #24
not worth the comment

Message edited by author 2006-06-23 14:36:28.
06/23/2006 02:32:29 PM · #25
Originally posted by PhilipDyer:

When I took snail pictures, I just brought in several snails and put them on a smooth glass surface. The instant I put them down, they poked out their heads and starting sliming around. I don't know if it was the presence other snails, the smooth surface, the type of snail, or some other factor, but I couldn't keep those guys in their shells if I had wanted to.


Hmmm... initiate me in your snail ways, oh yoda master!
Pages:  
Current Server Time: 08/01/2021 04:41:53 PM

Please log in or register to post to the forums.


Home - Challenges - Community - League - Photos - Cameras - Lenses - Learn - Prints! - Help - Terms of Use - Privacy - Top ^
DPChallenge, and website content and design, Copyright © 2001-2021 Challenging Technologies, LLC.
All digital photo copyrights belong to the photographers and may not be used without permission.
Proudly hosted by Sargasso Networks. Current Server Time: 08/01/2021 04:41:53 PM EDT.