DPChallenge: A Digital Photography Contest You are not logged in. (log in or register
 

DPChallenge Forums >> General Discussion >> The New York Institute of Photography.
Pages:  
Showing posts 76 - 100 of 120, (reverse)
AuthorThread
02/16/2008 10:49:01 AM · #76
Originally posted by irisheyes:

Originally posted by Eyesup:

so hey... now that I've registered... how lond does it typically take to get all the stuff?


I registered on-line on January 31 and received Unit 1 material on February 06. I live in Virginia.


I live in Arkansas and I got mine almost 14 days after I registered!
02/16/2008 10:53:02 AM · #77
I'm not sure I can muster waiting that long... I'm a very impatient person :)
02/16/2008 10:55:21 AM · #78
Originally posted by Eyesup:

I'm not sure I can muster waiting that long... I'm a very impatient person :)


yeah me too. I accosted my mail man. But the box came UPS, so I was wrong for yelling at the post man ... LOL

I didnt realize it was here, my son said "moooooooooommmmm your nyp stuff is here"

My son is 7 and he is reading behind me on these lessons. He is a natural at this photography stuff!!
02/16/2008 04:38:29 PM · #79
Originally posted by gwe21:


My son is 7 and he is reading behind me on these lessons. He is a natural at this photography stuff!!
Two for the price of one, huh?
02/16/2008 04:57:51 PM · #80
I'm in a situation that is extremely reminiscent of a time in the early 90's. I was in art school studying for my Associates in photography. I had around $1500 dollars to spend. The choice I was presented with was build a dark room or get a medium format camera. Now in 2008 I am presented with a very similar situation Attended NYIP and refresh all the knowledge even recapturing things that I have long forgotten or getting a good printer, print some images and sell them off in galleries. Last time I made the right choice in getting the dark room, It paid off immensely in getting me through school, personal satisfaction, and monetary gain. Currently I have a small Portrait photography business going, I contract my self out with a sports shooting co and I am always reading and learning, I am getting a huge learning experience working for the sports co. I was just wondering if anyone had any opinions on what would you do if faced with a similar situation.
02/18/2008 11:52:58 PM · #81
Wow You all really have me convinced, I think I'm going to give this a shot. The Pro program seems the best, It seems like it covers everything that the other two do.
02/19/2008 12:57:50 AM · #82
Originally posted by AndyMac24:

Wow You all really have me convinced, I think I'm going to give this a shot. The Pro program seems the best, It seems like it covers everything that the other two do.


looks that way... of course I havn't seen any of it yet... but really at the price you don't have much to loose
02/22/2008 01:56:12 PM · #83
Just completed reading, listening and watching Unit 1. Excited!!!
02/27/2008 10:03:15 AM · #84
Got my welcome package monday ( I feel so welcomed)... now if only my box of stuff would come :)
02/27/2008 10:19:08 AM · #85
Originally posted by iamkmaniam:

I'm in a situation that is extremely reminiscent of a time in the early 90's. I was in art school studying for my Associates in photography. I had around $1500 dollars to spend. The choice I was presented with was build a dark room or get a medium format camera. Now in 2008 I am presented with a very similar situation Attended NYIP and refresh all the knowledge even recapturing things that I have long forgotten or getting a good printer, print some images and sell them off in galleries. Last time I made the right choice in getting the dark room, It paid off immensely in getting me through school, personal satisfaction, and monetary gain. Currently I have a small Portrait photography business going, I contract my self out with a sports shooting co and I am always reading and learning, I am getting a huge learning experience working for the sports co. I was just wondering if anyone had any opinions on what would you do if faced with a similar situation.


There are good vendors for fine art printing.

02/28/2008 09:33:23 PM · #86
Woohoo! Just got lesson two and my press pass - now, to figure out some way to test it...!
02/28/2008 10:49:17 PM · #87
Originally posted by EducatedSavage:

Woohoo! Just got lesson two and my press pass - now, to figure out some way to test it...!


fun!!

I just had my unit 1 photos printed off. Will send tomorrow. I should be getting my next few units soon.
02/28/2008 11:04:14 PM · #88
still waiting for my first unit.... you'll have to tell us how the press pass works out for you :)
02/28/2008 11:23:04 PM · #89
Originally posted by Eyesup:

still waiting for my first unit.... you'll have to tell us how the press pass works out for you :)


I have used it in NY... It stopped bunch of Tourist Hunters bothering me :P they all asked the people front of me and behind me with cameras if they want a bus tour of NY. They were not even making eye contact with me thinking I am the press :P It was fun. I am thinking to use it for some other places, maybe some sporting events or something... but waiting for the summer :D
02/29/2008 09:58:22 PM · #90
Originally posted by Eyesup:

still waiting for my first unit.... you'll have to tell us how the press pass works out for you :)


You haven't received it yet!? Hopefully it won't be too much longer - should be any time now! I don't think it took more than 2 weeks for mine to arrive after I got the confirmation paperwork.

I'm going to look into what events are coming up around here and start testing my luck!

One thing I have noticed, though - it seems like the photographs in the lesson material aren't quite as... I dunno... whatever it is that DPC photos have. Has anyone else noticed this? Would it be safe to call this a more 'normal' view of photography than DPC, or...?
02/29/2008 09:59:59 PM · #91
Originally posted by EducatedSavage:

Originally posted by Eyesup:

still waiting for my first unit.... you'll have to tell us how the press pass works out for you :)


You haven't received it yet!? Hopefully it won't be too much longer - should be any time now! I don't think it took more than 2 weeks for mine to arrive after I got the confirmation paperwork.

I'm going to look into what events are coming up around here and start testing my luck!

One thing I have noticed, though - it seems like the photographs in the lesson material aren't quite as... I dunno... whatever it is that DPC photos have. Has anyone else noticed this? Would it be safe to call this a more 'normal' view of photography than DPC, or...?


hey forget about finding DPC quality images in a lot of places!! LOL This place has the highest standards I have seen yet. I like it though, it pushes me to get better.


02/29/2008 10:09:54 PM · #92
just got unit one.. I'm eating it up!!! first part pretty basic but it's good to go back to the basics a bit... :)

I think the photo's are really good... yeah... more normal...
03/04/2008 05:25:43 PM · #93
Question for those you who are starting to get your course documentation.

Would you say it is helping you with posing as well as lighting various styles?
03/04/2008 05:32:18 PM · #94
Originally posted by chesire:

Question for those you who are starting to get your course documentation.

Would you say it is helping you with posing as well as lighting various styles?


I've only got unit one so far... granted I've finished it and asked them to send the next set :)... I'll be interested to find out the same.... cant imangin that they wouldn't touch on it though
03/04/2008 05:47:33 PM · #95
Which course is everyone taking? I'm taking (by that, I mean my husband is taking and I'm looking in on the materials) the Shortened Digital Photo class - pretty basic so far, and they go through the photos and why this one is bad/ this one is good, etc.
03/05/2008 01:13:31 AM · #96
I signed up for the Professional Photography course and I'm digging it so far.

The first lesson is SO full of information! It REALLY good basics so far - I've already learned several things that are really going to help me out in my photography, and I haven't even finished lesson 1 yet. If the rest of the lessons prove as education, this course will definitely be worth every penny!
03/05/2008 10:25:56 AM · #97
This thread oficially changed my mind from 'debating on it' to 'DEFINETLY, CANNOT WAIT'! I've been looking into NYIP for about a year now and this spring I am going to sign up!!
03/05/2008 10:31:08 AM · #98
Go for it.. it's good stuff... and hey the monopod, and new camera bag alos help :) oh, and the press card (can't wait for that to come), and the new shoot through umbrella (whick will even out my collection to 2), and the personal critique of my work (I'll get my fix from the school so I don't have to whine about the lack of commenting her...lol)

oh and of course the course material is really good too... :)

eta: I'm taking the Professional photography course

Message edited by author 2008-03-05 10:31:42.
03/05/2008 10:38:41 AM · #99
I am really loving it so far. It is making me learn my camera.(and techniques).. or should I say it is inspiring me to learn my camera. Once I am finished ,I have promised myself a nice graduation gift of a 40D.
03/05/2008 10:59:42 AM · #100
One day when i can afford this course i may try it. But until then I'll continue to learn FREE from the DPCinst. of photography, the DPC dons, youtube-how to videos, photography forums and google :)
Pages:  
Current Server Time: 12/02/2020 07:43:21 AM

Please log in or register to post to the forums.


Home - Challenges - Community - League - Photos - Cameras - Lenses - Learn - Prints! - Help - Terms of Use - Privacy - Top ^
DPChallenge, and website content and design, Copyright © 2001-2020 Challenging Technologies, LLC.
All digital photo copyrights belong to the photographers and may not be used without permission.
Proudly hosted by Sargasso Networks. Current Server Time: 12/02/2020 07:43:21 AM EST.