DPChallenge: A Digital Photography Contest You are not logged in. (log in or register
 

DPChallenge Forums >> Out and About >> Wisconsin October GTG
Pages:  
Showing posts 26 - 50 of 127, (reverse)
AuthorThread
09/22/2006 01:23:59 PM · #26
The colors might peak a little earlier in this part of the state, We had our first frost 2 nights ago. I think that was the trigger because today I noticed several trees around here starting to turn colors and shed. Going to dig leaf blower out of the garage this afternoon and make sure it works. Won't be long til I need it.

edit to add, Has anyone thought about the Holy Hill area for fall colors? On a clear fall day the church alone makes an absolutely amazing subject. And if you bring some big glass the tower offers some amazing views.



Message edited by author 2006-09-22 13:34:43.
09/22/2006 01:34:26 PM · #27
Still planning on attending. Weekend before is also fine with me.
09/22/2006 02:31:13 PM · #28
Devil's Lake was one of my favorite places in Wisconsin. We're planning on doing a Wisconsin tour next October (2007) so we'll have to do a get together then!
09/22/2006 02:46:54 PM · #29
Week before, week after. Whenever works for me.
09/23/2006 12:37:28 AM · #30
I grew up in this area, and you may want to consider the little towns of Lodi, Okee, or Prarie Du Sac as side trips. They're pretty close to Baraboo.

10/14/2006
Fall Harvest Tour of Lodi

Events during the Fall Harvest Tour include:

Scarecrows on Parade
Kids Scavenger Hunt
Live Music at Susie Park
Wisconsin Winery Samplings
Artist Shop Hop
Corn Maze/Pumpkin Patch/Bonfire

Maps will be available.
Fall Harvest Tour of Lodi is a perfect opportunity to see and experience autumn in the Lodi valley.

Lodi Chamber of Commerce

Message edited by author 2006-09-23 00:41:36.
09/23/2006 04:32:43 AM · #31
GREAT tip Bob, thanks. Too bad you can't join us. It's only about a 12 hour drive, how about it??

;-)
09/23/2006 05:19:09 AM · #32
shux im missing out
have fun guys
09/23/2006 11:28:49 AM · #33
Originally posted by strangeghost:

GREAT tip Bob, thanks. Too bad you can't join us. It's only about a 12 hour drive, how about it??

;-)


You know I wish I could. My buddy in Chicago is bugging me to go up that same weekend for a Grouse hunt, but I have a weeding that weekend. Bummer.
09/23/2006 12:20:08 PM · #34
Almost directly in between Devil's Lake St. Park and Lodi is the Merrimac ferry across the Wisconsin river. This might make a good jumping off point for our journeys. I'm thinking we could meet at the south shore of the Wisconsin river at the Merrimac ferry departure area (parking available there). Spend the morning in the Lodi area, cross the river on the ferry and get lunch in Merrimac, and then afternoon and evening in the State Park.

See the google map here for orientation and directions.
09/23/2006 01:30:15 PM · #35
Originally posted by strangeghost:

Almost directly in between Devil's Lake St. Park and Lodi is the Merrimac ferry across the Wisconsin river. This might make a good jumping off point for our journeys. I'm thinking we could meet at the south shore of the Wisconsin river at the Merrimac ferry departure area (parking available there). Spend the morning in the Lodi area, cross the river on the ferry and get lunch in Merrimac, and then afternoon and evening in the State Park.

See the google map here for orientation and directions.


Great spot. I have many a shot of the tressel and the ferry. Pretty good fishing there too!
09/23/2006 01:57:14 PM · #36
Heh I remember being a little kid and going fishing with my dad there. Taking the ferry over, and ther eis some big statue of a duck in Lodi as I recall (or maybe it seemed big to a 4 or 5 year old). I remember it being so cold and rainy I was sitting in the boat shivering until my dad called it a day and we left early and got to go see a new movie that just came out - Star Wars heheh.
09/23/2006 09:23:54 PM · #37
Originally posted by routerguy666:

Heh I remember being a little kid and going fishing with my dad there. Taking the ferry over, and ther eis some big statue of a duck in Lodi as I recall (or maybe it seemed big to a 4 or 5 year old). I remember it being so cold and rainy I was sitting in the boat shivering until my dad called it a day and we left early and got to go see a new movie that just came out - Star Wars heheh.


Yup, Suzie the Duck is the official mascot of Lodi, (for some reason.)
09/23/2006 09:26:32 PM · #38
I hope this all holds up. I getting excited to meet some new people and have a good time taking some photos.
09/23/2006 09:28:04 PM · #39
I was on the ferry once for a school field trip. I think we were going to Circus World was a long time ago.
09/23/2006 09:33:17 PM · #40
I'll be there Dave. The only thing that could stop it is a forecast for hard rain all day long.
09/23/2006 09:44:48 PM · #41
Being my first GTG I am wondering what you will all bring as far as gear goes? Also is Anyone bringing a guest?
09/23/2006 09:47:26 PM · #42
Originally posted by Bugzeye:

Being my first GTG I am wondering what you will all bring as far as gear goes? Also is Anyone bringing a guest?


Everything that's in my backpack. Which is all listed in my profile. Plus a cheap monopod I bought that hangs on the side. It's actually not to bad to carry around.
09/23/2006 09:48:29 PM · #43
cool. I am planning on getting a backpack before then. I will see if I can jam everything in there.
09/23/2006 10:00:15 PM · #44
Originally posted by Bugzeye:

Being my first GTG I am wondering what you will all bring as far as gear goes? Also is Anyone bringing a guest?

At the Chicago GTG this past May, I had pretty much everything except the 400mm. I even carried my lightweight tripod all day long. I'll probably do the same this time around too, leaving the 400 in the car.
09/23/2006 11:04:27 PM · #45
Originally posted by Bugzeye:

Being my first GTG I am wondering what you will all bring as far as gear goes? Also is Anyone bringing a guest?


Same as others bringing everything in my backpack (all listed on profile ), plus a tripod and monopod. Have a buddy who owns a 5D and some nice glass who I am harassing into tagging along but I know he won't.
09/24/2006 09:40:34 AM · #46
Hi all,

I updated the first message of the thread with a list of possible attendees, and our meeting location. Check it out and get back to me with your proposed meeting times. The meeting time should be weighted toward those who have to drive the farthest to get there. We can have two meeting times also. Those of us closer can meet at around 9:00 am, and do some shooting, and then rendezvous back at the South boat landing at 11:00 to meet others coming in from more distant places.

Please send me a PM with your email address and your cell phone number. As the date gets closer, let's keep in touch by email regarding the plan, and keep the list of cell phones in case you need to contact me on the day-of to arrange rendezvous. I'm not sure, but I think cell phone coverage is spotty in the Park area, but should be OK around Merrimac and Lodi.
09/24/2006 10:56:28 AM · #47
My wife might tag along with my D50 if we can get a babysitter. She is the real photographer in our family anyway, at least she took some actual photography courses. Also a friend of mine who might actually sign up to DPC one of these days could tag along if my wife doesn't He just bought his first P and S.......... Which unfortunately for me could add yet another Canon owner to the crowd increasing my chances of being harrassed by the masses. lol We need some more Nikon guys in Wisconsin to join DPC.


09/24/2006 06:23:23 PM · #48
I drove up to Merrimac and Devil's Lake State Park today with my daughter ' . substr('//www.dpchallenge.com/images/user_icon/21_F.gif', strrpos('//www.dpchallenge.com/images/user_icon/21_F.gif', '/') + 1) . ' smartypants and her friend ' . substr('//www.dpchallenge.com/images/user_icon/31_N.gif', strrpos('//www.dpchallenge.com/images/user_icon/31_N.gif', '/') + 1) . ' mickeyten13. There is a tiny little bit of beginning fall colors but nothing terribly significant yet. I took a few pics, including a few bald eagles at the state park. I'll post more later on my idea for a 3 hour photo hike up the bluffs.

' . substr('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/19978/thumb/400853.jpg', strrpos('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/19978/thumb/400853.jpg', '/') + 1) . ' ' . substr('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/19978/thumb/400854.jpg', strrpos('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/19978/thumb/400854.jpg', '/') + 1) . ' ' . substr('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/19978/thumb/400855.jpg', strrpos('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/19978/thumb/400855.jpg', '/') + 1) . ' ' . substr('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/19978/thumb/400856.jpg', strrpos('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/19978/thumb/400856.jpg', '/') + 1) . '

' . substr('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/19978/thumb/400857.jpg', strrpos('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/19978/thumb/400857.jpg', '/') + 1) . ' ' . substr('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/19978/thumb/400858.jpg', strrpos('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/19978/thumb/400858.jpg', '/') + 1) . ' ' . substr('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/19978/thumb/400859.jpg', strrpos('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/19978/thumb/400859.jpg', '/') + 1) . ' ' . substr('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/19978/thumb/400860.jpg', strrpos('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/19978/thumb/400860.jpg', '/') + 1) . '

' . substr('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/19978/thumb/400861.jpg', strrpos('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/19978/thumb/400861.jpg', '/') + 1) . '
09/24/2006 06:34:24 PM · #49
Originally posted by Bugzeye:

My wife might tag along with my D50 if we can get a babysitter. She is the real photographer in our family anyway, at least she took some actual photography courses. Also a friend of mine who might actually sign up to DPC one of these days could tag along if my wife doesn't He just bought his first P and S.......... Which unfortunately for me could add yet another Canon owner to the crowd increasing my chances of being harrassed by the masses. lol We need some more Nikon guys in Wisconsin to join DPC.


I'm saving up for a D70 or D70s
09/24/2006 09:20:59 PM · #50
Nice shots John. I was in Wisconsin today myself. I drove along the river up to Cassville.
Pages:  
Current Server Time: 07/23/2021 04:20:06 PM

Please log in or register to post to the forums.


Home - Challenges - Community - League - Photos - Cameras - Lenses - Learn - Prints! - Help - Terms of Use - Privacy - Top ^
DPChallenge, and website content and design, Copyright © 2001-2021 Challenging Technologies, LLC.
All digital photo copyrights belong to the photographers and may not be used without permission.
Proudly hosted by Sargasso Networks. Current Server Time: 07/23/2021 04:20:06 PM EDT.