DPChallenge: A Digital Photography Contest You are not logged in. (log in or register
 

DPChallenge Forums >> Challenge Results >> Your thought behind the 1. Post up
Pages:  
Showing posts 1 - 25 of 69, (reverse)
AuthorThread
03/08/2007 03:40:42 AM · #1
Just wanted to get some feedback from the person who voted 1 on this - I try and vote quite realistically when I can - When something is in focus and well exposed I can't score it any less than a 3 - So i would just like to get some feed back on how this got a 1.
' . substr('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_challenge/631/thumb/477129.jpg', strrpos('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_challenge/631/thumb/477129.jpg', '/') + 1) . '

Anyone else think they deserved better than a one vote should post up - Of course only if you were unlucky enough to get a 1 vote.
Cheers
Jeff

Message edited by author 2007-03-08 03:41:07.
03/08/2007 03:46:45 AM · #2
maybe another "troll vote"
something like this shouldn't get a 1 vote, unless someone hates george miller enough that he/she cant sleep or eat after seeing this photo.
03/08/2007 03:50:39 AM · #3
Good luck getting an honest answer.
03/08/2007 03:57:12 AM · #4
You'll never get that answer. They will never admit to it.

I still think most 1, 2, and 3 votes are from voters trying to bring you down so they look better.
03/08/2007 03:58:37 AM · #5
Originally posted by crayon:

maybe another "troll vote"
something like this shouldn't get a 1 vote, unless someone hates george miller enough that he/she cant sleep or eat after seeing this photo.


i think there are people who love to give a score of 1 ... in the hope that people create threads like this.

nothing is more satisfying for a troll, than proof that they got a rise out of the photographer!

:)
03/08/2007 03:59:13 AM · #6
Originally posted by Marc923:

You'll never get that answer. They will never admit to it.

I still think most 1, 2, and 3 votes are from voters trying to bring you down so they look better.


I can kinda sorta understand those votes if it was based on not meeting the challenge but this was a free study. It was 100% a troll vote or like crayon mentioned George Miller killed their mother or something.
03/08/2007 04:23:12 AM · #7
Do you think that one deserved a 1? ' . substr('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_challenge/620/thumb/455890.jpg', strrpos('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_challenge/620/thumb/455890.jpg', '/') + 1) . ' by ' . substr('//www.dpchallenge.com/images/user_icon/21_F.gif', strrpos('//www.dpchallenge.com/images/user_icon/21_F.gif', '/') + 1) . ' ivory.

When I saw that one realized that I liked a little bit more to receive ones, because somebody could think my shot deserved the same as ivory's...LOL

Don't bother about ones, the trolls live of our crying.

Just an opinion.

Álex.

By the way, nice shot.
03/08/2007 04:27:18 AM · #8
I don't think I will ever understand how such a large portion of a community devoted to destroying the boxes they get stuck in can be so completely close-minded to the fact different people have different tastes.

Someone didn't like it (... ok, someone REALLY didn't like it) -- why must it always come down to a conspiracy (troll theory or otherwise)?

David
03/08/2007 04:45:47 AM · #9
A single 1 probably is a troll vote, technically there's nothing wrong with Jeff's or Susan's pictures.
While your at it, please tell me why this deserved 3 1s and 2 2s. I finished with my 3rd worst score ever, though I got only positive comments.
' . substr('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_challenge/631/thumb/474666.jpg', strrpos('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_challenge/631/thumb/474666.jpg', '/') + 1) . '
03/08/2007 04:48:52 AM · #10
Originally posted by jblaylockrayner:

' . substr('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_challenge/631/thumb/477129.jpg', strrpos('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_challenge/631/thumb/477129.jpg', '/') + 1) . '

a ONE?? That is an excellent shot! DEFINITELY NOT DESERVING OF A 1!

I gave it a 2. ...but George Miller killed my mother. :/
03/08/2007 05:13:16 AM · #11
Originally posted by Marc923:

You'll never get that answer. They will never admit to it.

I still think most 1, 2, and 3 votes are from voters trying to bring you down so they look better.


I certainly cannot speak for the masses, but will readily admit that I have doled out low votes and have no shame in admitting it. I make use of the full spectrum of the voting scale and feel quite justified in doing so, and can assure you that I am not trying to make myself look better.

There is a reason for the existence of the 1 to 4 scores, otherwise the powers to be would have removed them by now.

Ray

03/08/2007 05:24:46 AM · #12
I'm with you Ray. I've given out a few 1's myself. And I let 'em know why I gave them a 1. And David makes a good point about not liking the shot. That's fair enough. But I still think there are people out there that will vote low just to sabotage a shot.

I think Jeff is scratching his head as to why he got the 1 with no comment, and voicing what a lot of us are thinking. I often wonder why some great shots get 1's.
03/08/2007 05:25:08 AM · #13
Yeah, I have voted a one on a few images here and there too, but only when it is so bad that I can't even tell what/where the subject is!
03/08/2007 05:49:28 AM · #14
' . substr('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/28742/thumb/480968.jpg', strrpos('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/28742/thumb/480968.jpg', '/') + 1) . '
03/08/2007 05:56:11 AM · #15
Originally posted by eyewave:

A single 1 probably is a troll vote, technically there's nothing wrong with Jeff's or Susan's pictures.
While your at it, please tell me why this deserved 3 1s and 2 2s. I finished with my 3rd worst score ever, though I got only positive comments.
' . substr('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_challenge/631/thumb/474666.jpg', strrpos('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_challenge/631/thumb/474666.jpg', '/') + 1) . '


I really liked the idea behind this one, but feel that it was let down in the execution. The selective desaturation of the couple, whilst making them stand out from the background also had the side effect of making them look a bit like cardboard cut-outs. Additionally, and a big problem for me, was the blue indentation in the man's arm - which to my eyes looked very strange, as though it was a poor cut-out. I gave a 4 - one of your lower marks, but had the two issues I disliked been different I suspect I would have voted much higher.
03/08/2007 06:21:50 AM · #16
Originally posted by RayEthier:

Originally posted by Marc923:

You'll never get that answer. They will never admit to it.

I still think most 1, 2, and 3 votes are from voters trying to bring you down so they look better.


I certainly cannot speak for the masses, but will readily admit that I have doled out low votes and have no shame in admitting it. I make use of the full spectrum of the voting scale and feel quite justified in doing so, and can assure you that I am not trying to make myself look better.

There is a reason for the existence of the 1 to 4 scores, otherwise the powers to be would have removed them by now.

Ray


This is often brought up as a defense but it's a strawman argument. Nobody is claiming the entire voting scale shouldn't be used. Quite the contrary. The argument is these voters AREN'T using the entire voting scale when they vote photos like the jblaylockrayner a 1. Why because what happens when you come across an image like this in the same challenge?

' . substr('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_challenge/38/thumb/7143.jpg', strrpos('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_challenge/38/thumb/7143.jpg', '/') + 1) . '

Does this deserve the same score as jblaylockrayner's? Even if the voter didn't like jblaylockrayner's photo he/she has left no room for anything worse since negative voting isn't an option. So what happens? You get photos of turds scored the same as photos that get published. That's hardly using the voting scale, IMO.

Countdown to the beating a dead horse icon... :P
03/08/2007 06:24:38 AM · #17
Thank you for making that point ' . substr('//www.dpchallenge.com/images/user_icon/21.gif', strrpos('//www.dpchallenge.com/images/user_icon/21.gif', '/') + 1) . ' yanko. That is so true!
03/08/2007 06:33:41 AM · #18
I agree with yanko. I have no problem with people giving ones but those should be for the worse photos. if you rated all evenly it should be at most 10% no way that Jeff's photo was at worse bottom 10%. it may not wow you but if is a good photo and if it wasn't published it could have been. I had people NOT give me a 1 for my blurry nipple so how can this be worse than mine. If you vote 1 you are saying that either this is a tie with the worst photo in history or a tie with the worst photo in this challenge. both of which can't objectively be said about Jeff's photo.
03/08/2007 06:39:48 AM · #19
Has anybody considered the possibility that when scores are too close, either the system or the sc has to put in 1's to break ties? I kind of figure there may be a system adjustment that has to be made on some photos.
03/08/2007 06:46:08 AM · #20
Originally posted by JunieMoon:

Has anybody considered the possibility that when scores are too close, either the system or the sc has to put in 1's to break ties? I kind of figure there may be a system adjustment that has to be made on some photos.


Huh?!? Why? That makes no sense to me.
03/08/2007 07:21:03 AM · #21
Originally posted by jblaylockrayner:

Just wanted to get some feedback from the person who voted 1 on this - I try and vote quite realistically when I can - When something is in focus and well exposed I can't score it any less than a 3 - So i would just like to get some feed back on how this got a 1.
' . substr('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_challenge/631/thumb/477129.jpg', strrpos('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_challenge/631/thumb/477129.jpg', '/') + 1) . '

Anyone else think they deserved better than a one vote should post up - Of course only if you were unlucky enough to get a 1 vote.
Cheers
Jeff


It happens to us all, deal with it. Maybe he/she doesn't like Hollyweird and took it out on your image. ;-)

For the record, I voted it a 6.

Message edited by author 2007-03-08 07:22:43.
03/08/2007 08:04:45 AM · #22
Originally posted by JunieMoon:

Has anybody considered the possibility that when scores are too close, either the system or the sc has to put in 1's to break ties? I kind of figure there may be a system adjustment that has to be made on some photos.


This doesn't happen. :) You guys see 4 digits after the decimal in the score, but the system actually goes out for more decimal places. I promise the SC isn't going 'round giving 1's to break ties!
03/08/2007 09:12:39 AM · #23
' . substr('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_challenge/631/thumb/474666.jpg', strrpos('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_challenge/631/thumb/474666.jpg', '/') + 1) . '
Originally posted by SaraR:

I really liked the idea behind this one, but feel that it was let down in the execution. The selective desaturation of the couple, whilst making them stand out from the background also had the side effect of making them look a bit like cardboard cut-outs. Additionally, and a big problem for me, was the blue indentation in the man's arm - which to my eyes looked very strange, as though it was a poor cut-out. I gave a 4 - one of your lower marks, but had the two issues I disliked been different I suspect I would have voted much higher.


Thanks for that comment, Sara. What you call "blue indentation" actually isn't one, it's the impression made by his arm laying on her backpack...

Message edited by author 2007-03-08 09:13:35.
03/08/2007 09:58:30 AM · #24
I also agree with Yanko in that there should be at least two dimensions when voting. First is absolute; how an image in and of itself rates with respect to technical, compositional and emotive qualities, subject matter, relevance or adherence to the challenge, etc. Second is relative; how an image ranks against others. If by giving an image that meets the challenge, is technically sound, etc a score of 1, where do you go from there for the truly lower-end-of-the-curve shots?

This is why I always revisit the field after voting 100% of the images, to see if there are some that deserve upward adjustment (rarely do a I downgrade post-vote). For example, I've finished voting challenges where there were no outright 10s. However, if the 7, 8, and 9 fields are full I will go through and promote images that really stand out among those; same for 5s and 6s and so on.

To me, an image begins life at a 5 - average. If it meets the challenge and is at least good technically, if not great, I begin with a 5 in mind and lever up/down from there based on other attributes: interest to me, subject matter, details, etc. Being on-topic but with snapshot qualities or basic deficiencies technically will bring it below a 4, but rarely will I vote <3.

FWIW, I gave the OP image a '6'. I like the composition, perspective/POV, rich color and strong contrast. However, the subject matter didn't stand out among the field in this challenge and some of the background elements -- Garcia's building (et al) -- detracted from the image overall (not that anything could be done about that here).
03/08/2007 10:12:37 AM · #25
Originally posted by eyewave:

A single 1 probably is a troll vote, technically there's nothing wrong with Jeff's or Susan's pictures.
While your at it, please tell me why this deserved 3 1s and 2 2s. I finished with my 3rd worst score ever, though I got only positive comments.
' . substr('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_challenge/631/thumb/474666.jpg', strrpos('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_challenge/631/thumb/474666.jpg', '/') + 1) . '


I didn't vote on it, but it's probably the selective color.
Pages:  
Current Server Time: 04/08/2020 05:23:55 PM

Please log in or register to post to the forums.


Home - Challenges - Community - League - Photos - Cameras - Lenses - Learn - Prints! - Help - Terms of Use - Privacy - Top ^
DPChallenge, and website content and design, Copyright © 2001-2020 Challenging Technologies, LLC.
All digital photo copyrights belong to the photographers and may not be used without permission.
Proudly hosted by Sargasso Networks. Current Server Time: 04/08/2020 05:23:55 PM EDT.