DPChallenge: A Digital Photography Contest You are not logged in. (log in or register
 

DPChallenge Forums >> Hardware and Software >> Flash Diffuser
Pages:  
Showing posts 1 - 25 of 30, (reverse)
AuthorThread
04/04/2007 10:30:34 PM · #1
Just wondering if anyone's used something like this:

//cgi.ebay.com.au/Flash-Diffuser-Softbox-for-canon-550ex-580ex-420ex_W0QQitemZ230111999414QQcategoryZ15221QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

basically its a little softbox that goes onto your camera. I usually bounce indoors, but just wondering if these are any good for outdoors/high ceiling type places?

Thanks
Chandrashan

Message edited by author 2007-04-04 22:30:44.
04/04/2007 10:47:00 PM · #2
I have one and it didn't last long before it started tearing at the folds.
04/04/2007 11:29:22 PM · #3
I want one of the hard pastic square ones.
04/05/2007 03:08:42 AM · #4
lol, tearing isn't a good sign :P

any other experiences
04/05/2007 03:44:50 AM · #5
how about this inflatable one?
looks almost similar...
inflatable diffuser
04/05/2007 09:42:06 AM · #6
This is what I want.

I already have a Gary Fong one but doea this one work as well.

Message edited by author 2007-04-05 09:42:19.
04/05/2007 09:48:56 AM · #7
I have had a soft box diffuser and the plastic ones that fit over the flash. They both do a fair job of diffusing the light, however I don't like either one as much as my Gary Fong. The soft boxz does hace a reputation of tearing at the folds but does to a nice job diffusing.
04/05/2007 09:49:08 AM · #8
Mine fell off all the time - I switched to Gary Fong.
04/05/2007 09:59:08 AM · #9
I've built two of these:

//super.nova.org/DPR/DIY01/

DONT LOOK AT THE CARDBOARD VERSION, SEE THE FOAM VERSION LATER ON DOWN THE PAGE.

They are GREAT and can fold up easily into my camera bag. I take one with me everywhere I go. The best part is that it took like $10 in materials to make two of the things, and about an hour cutting and sewing it together.

If you do make one, you definitely need to sew it by hand, the sewing machine tears the foam.
04/05/2007 10:06:33 AM · #10
Originally posted by idnic:

Mine fell off all the time - I switched to Gary Fong.


My Gary Fong falls off all the time.
04/05/2007 10:29:03 AM · #11
Related thread here ==> Diffuser vs Lightsphere II?

I ended up going with ' . substr('//www.dpchallenge.com/images/user_icon/user_id/2333.gif', strrpos('//www.dpchallenge.com/images/user_icon/user_id/2333.gif', '/') + 1) . ' kirbic's suggestion except I purchased this one instead (very similar). Does a nice job overall. Still learning the best way (situations) to use it, it came in handy for some birthday party pics last night.

Good luck in whatever choice you make Chandrashan.
04/05/2007 11:46:00 AM · #12
I love this - I'll try this before my daughter's birthday party this weekend. Thanks. I think I'll probably use staples or glue - is there a reason to not use glue - flexibility?

Originally posted by ExcaliburVT:

I've built two of these:

//super.nova.org/DPR/DIY01/

DONT LOOK AT THE CARDBOARD VERSION, SEE THE FOAM VERSION LATER ON DOWN THE PAGE.

They are GREAT and can fold up easily into my camera bag. I take one with me everywhere I go. The best part is that it took like $10 in materials to make two of the things, and about an hour cutting and sewing it together.
04/05/2007 11:55:23 AM · #13
i love my lumiquest. i got the 80-20 bounce [aims 20% of the flash forward and bounces the rest] with the accessory kit [silver, gold, white bounce, diffuser] and its one of the best camera purchases i've made.80-20

and it folds flat, so i can throw the kit into a pocket or just keep it in my bag all the time--thats a big plus as well.
04/05/2007 11:58:48 AM · #14
I have a lumiquest 20/80 which is very nice, comes with 3 relectors white silver and gold also has a defuser that you can put over the front if you require even softer light. Also have the Lumiquest Softbox which works well but I prefer the 20/80.

edit: hmmm a few seconds later and I could have just said Dito!...

Message edited by author 2007-04-05 11:59:50.
04/05/2007 12:10:21 PM · #15
Originally posted by crayon:

how about this inflatable one?
looks almost similar...
inflatable diffuser


roflmao, that looks hilarious i have to say... it could double as a flotation device :P

but jokes aside, it seems to be similar to what i sugested, just an inflatable version. any idea how the stofen style diffusers compare to the home made bounce card, or even the one i initially suggested?
04/05/2007 12:30:34 PM · #16
Originally posted by metatate:

I love this - I'll try this before my daughter's birthday party this weekend. Thanks. I think I'll probably use staples or glue - is there a reason to not use glue - flexibility?


You could probably use glue, might even work better than sewing it up. Let me know how it turns out. The plastic support in the middle is a must, and the main thing to ensure is that the foam will not let the plastic fall out. If you can get the glue to bond to all three layers (foam, plastic support and foam) you'll be golden.

I fold the thing up all the time as a trifold and it always comes back to shape easily.

Message edited by author 2007-04-05 12:31:24.
04/05/2007 01:49:48 PM · #17
Originally posted by rex:

This is what I want.

I already have a Gary Fong one but doea this one work as well.


I have that diffuser in the website your pointing to on my flash and then stick the gary fong on over it...works good for me!

04/05/2007 02:11:37 PM · #18
I made one of these HERE! for free! It worked surprisingly well.

Also I have used a cutup 2pint milk bottle which works excellently, especially for macros - but in public you may get laughed at / arrested...
04/05/2007 02:44:19 PM · #19
I agree, I made a couple of these. The white balance from using this is incredible and when you don't have a ceiling to bounce off of...WOW!

People look at you wierd, but with this big thing, you just look cool!

Originally posted by ExcaliburVT:

I've built two of these:

//super.nova.org/DPR/DIY01/

DONT LOOK AT THE CARDBOARD VERSION, SEE THE FOAM VERSION LATER ON DOWN THE PAGE.

They are GREAT and can fold up easily into my camera bag. I take one with me everywhere I go. The best part is that it took like $10 in materials to make two of the things, and about an hour cutting and sewing it together.

If you do make one, you definitely need to sew it by hand, the sewing machine tears the foam.
04/06/2007 08:42:40 AM · #20
I've been playing with diffusing the onboard flash. I've had some good results with simply holding a sheet of white paper in front of the flash above the lens. Very simple and great results for close-up shots. Not good for long distance, as the onboard flash is not really powerful enough to shoot through a piece of paper. Increasing the flash EV helps.

I've also made a little bounce card with some aluminium foil stuck onto some cardboard, and done some bounce flashing. Again, you need to make sure there's something close to bounce off, due to the lower flash power.

The real trick is getting something to attach onto the onboard flash. It's slightly annoying having to hold the sheet of paper all the time. A shoe flash is easier to tie home-made reflectors onto! :)
04/06/2007 03:33:27 PM · #21
Originally posted by surfdabbler:


The real trick is getting something to attach onto the onboard flash. It's slightly annoying having to hold the sheet of paper all the time. A shoe flash is easier to tie home-made reflectors onto! :)


Search around for ping pong ball diffuser. That's the trick I've seen as a diffuser for the pop up flash.

Those of you with the Gary Fong falling off problem(and doesn't that sound like something dirty) I was able to make mine stay better by wrapping some black electrical tape around my flash head.
04/06/2007 04:55:13 PM · #22
Originally posted by surfdabbler:

I've been playing with diffusing the onboard flash. I've had some good results with simply holding a sheet of white paper in front of the flash above the lens. Very simple and great results for close-up shots. Not good for long distance, as the onboard flash is not really powerful enough to shoot through a piece of paper. Increasing the flash EV helps.

I've also made a little bounce card with some aluminium foil stuck onto some cardboard, and done some bounce flashing. Again, you need to make sure there's something close to bounce off, due to the lower flash power.

The real trick is getting something to attach onto the onboard flash. It's slightly annoying having to hold the sheet of paper all the time. A shoe flash is easier to tie home-made reflectors onto! :)

In a pinch I've used a kleenex, held in place with a rubber-band, on the onboard flash.

Hey. What about a baseball cap (with a white bill) and wear it tilted slightly back on your head? :) Just thought of that...seriously! Can you tell I'm in vacation countdown mode? :P
04/07/2007 01:47:40 PM · #23
This is a great chance to show off my cheapness (or thriftiness as I like to call it). I will have to try making one of the foam diffusers mentioned above.

I designed and made my own reflective diffuser since I refused to pay the $40 for the real Lumiquest one. I just used white posterboard, and it folds up nice and flat. There are some lumiquest things that I have bought, like the rubberized velcro strap holding this in place. The blue rubber bands you see in the pictures come from bundles of celery or brocoli and work great since they are wide and sturdy to either hold the diffuser in place and/or use as a base to create more friction so the diffuser doesn't fall off. Here's one picture of it mounted, but there are other pictures of it with a description of how I made it at this link: My Reflector
' . substr('//farm1.static.flickr.com/183/449582856_eaff4e04cf_m.jpg', strrpos('//farm1.static.flickr.com/183/449582856_eaff4e04cf_m.jpg', '/') + 1) . '

My favorite
is this diffuser that I made from the bottom of a $0.92 rubbing alcohol bottle. I found that these and plastic milk jugs make great diffusing material. I have more pictures and description of how I made/use it here: My Omnibounce
' . substr('//farm1.static.flickr.com/225/449592835_74180b1409_m.jpg', strrpos('//farm1.static.flickr.com/225/449592835_74180b1409_m.jpg', '/') + 1) . '

Another little gem I found worth paying for is an SLR pop-up flash diffuser from Lumiquest that I picked up for $10 at the local camera store. I wouldn't be hard to copy it, but it's very simple, small and effective. You can't ask for more! Lumiquest Soft Screen
' . substr('//farm1.static.flickr.com/220/449587308_614709aa6b_m.jpg', strrpos('//farm1.static.flickr.com/220/449587308_614709aa6b_m.jpg', '/') + 1) . '

Message edited by author 2007-04-07 13:50:13.
04/07/2007 09:20:33 PM · #24
Just a bump in prime time since I'm so proud of my little diffusers.
04/09/2007 01:49:54 PM · #25
' . substr('//metatate.com/wtf/thumbs/my_awesome_contraption.JPG', strrpos('//metatate.com/wtf/thumbs/my_awesome_contraption.JPG', '/') + 1) . '

this is what i came up with for my daughter's birday party (wasn't I funny - the guy with the cut gallon milk jug on his camera flash pointing up. This worked great and was 100% free (not too portable or cool but it worked).
example with 18-200 VR ISO: 200 | Exp. Time: 1/200s | Aperture: 4.5 | Focal Length: 29.0mm
example

Message edited by author 2007-04-09 14:29:52.
Pages:  
Current Server Time: 11/30/2020 04:21:41 PM

Please log in or register to post to the forums.


Home - Challenges - Community - League - Photos - Cameras - Lenses - Learn - Prints! - Help - Terms of Use - Privacy - Top ^
DPChallenge, and website content and design, Copyright © 2001-2020 Challenging Technologies, LLC.
All digital photo copyrights belong to the photographers and may not be used without permission.
Proudly hosted by Sargasso Networks. Current Server Time: 11/30/2020 04:21:41 PM EST.