DPChallenge: A Digital Photography Contest You are not logged in. (log in or register
 

DPChallenge Forums >> Rant >> Bad week
Pages:  
Showing posts 1 - 20 of 20, (reverse)
AuthorThread
04/26/2007 07:58:36 AM · #1
So at this point my week has become so horrible that I don't know what to do, and am wondering if anyone is having a worse one than me. If so, it would make me not feel so bad. It's almost funny by now, every time I think it can't get any more terrifying, it does.

a. Pulled one all nighter
b. Pulled three 2-hours of sleep nights
c. For my finals, 3 of which I still completely bombed
d. When my coach (student athlete) decided to throw us the biggest erg(rowing machine) test of the year, 2000 meters full out.
e. Where I broke down and completely quit halfway through, and got a score worse than 4 years ago when I had just begun the sport. Could have gotten me kicked off the team.
f. I recently had an incident with changing lenses which resulted in me dropping them, and the 70-300 mm was broken. Whatever, things happen, I'm clumsy, and unlucky. Last night, I went to use my 18-135 mm... and it was broken too.
g. So I reluctantly made my way over to Ritz Camera, the only camera place I know of around here, and found out its going to be about 200-300 per lens to fix, about 6-8 weeks from now. Nice. Wondering if Nikon wouldve been just as expensive? Probably should've checked.
h. I lift weights with my team at 5:30 on Thursday mornings. Just now when I was leaving, I heard a strange noise in my car. A huge piece underneath is dragging on the ground, and it now has to be towed to the shop. I am going to Tampa this weekend for something extremely important. Oops! WAS going to Tampa.
i. i still have a 15 page paper due today and final tomorrow, plus practice both days, 3 hours apiece.
j. after finals are over tomorrow, however, I get summer! Wrong again, I have 2-3 a day practices leading up to the biggest race of the year 3 weeks from now.

Glad I got that out. Anyways, everyone write whats been bothering or troubling you this week! woooo feel so much better now, until I shut my laptop and get back to the real world. :)
04/26/2007 08:51:12 AM · #2
There are always positive sides to each situation, and it seems as though you have the right idea by trying to put things in perspective. Granted, I can't say that I've had a worse week, but hopefully you will catch up on some sleep & feel better soon.

Also, try to remember that everything happens for a reason - who knows, maybe your car having issues means you WON'T be involved in some horrific accident on I-4 this weekend (AND the fact that you can get some rest). Take it a little easier, and let us know how you're doing, ok?
04/26/2007 08:54:41 AM · #3
beers.
04/26/2007 09:03:55 AM · #4
Originally posted by Jacko:

beers.


LOL (though I'm sure that would help her sleep deprivation, she's only 18 & of course we'd never advocate anything illegal around here) ;)

...come to think of it, we got a naked guy runnin around with a piece of cheese on his ass in here, and the bar IS a fun place to hang out! maybe beer isnt such a bad idea after all! LOL
04/26/2007 09:05:47 AM · #5
Originally posted by rossbilly:

There are always positive sides to each situation, and it seems as though you have the right idea by trying to put things in perspective. Granted, I can't say that I've had a worse week, but hopefully you will catch up on some sleep & feel better soon.

Also, try to remember that everything happens for a reason - who knows, maybe your car having issues means you WON'T be involved in some horrific accident on I-4 this weekend (AND the fact that you can get some rest). Take it a little easier, and let us know how you're doing, ok?


thanks so much billy! my car was just towed away a few minutes ago so thats one thing less i have to worry about. 3 weeks and ill be laying on a beach at my home in sarasota, and then my cruise to alaska means good photos with my hopefully by then fixed lenses. the car wreck comment is totally true, kinda scary though ;) and jacko, if i werent an athlete i would be thirsty thursday-ing it up! although i do have a 3 month break from rowing this summer and that corona is sure calling my name...

thanks guys!
04/26/2007 09:08:03 AM · #6
Whenever I have a bad day/week like that, I think back to a comment one of my physics professors said to our class right before we were starting a test that I knew I was going to fail (yes, this is ancient history now).

To paraphrase, he basically said that regardless of how we did on the test, it was still Spring outside and the weather was beautiful and the world was not going to come to an end just because of a test. I ended up failing that entire class, which made me drop my physics major, which was probably the best thing that I ever did. I didn't learn much in the way of physics from that professor, but I learned a valuable life lesson.

Now, I'm not really normally this sappy, but I find that there is almost always some silver lining waiting to be found. Maybe I'm just lucky, but maybe it's more a question of attitude. I hope this helps :)
04/26/2007 09:10:56 AM · #7
Originally posted by rossbilly:

Originally posted by Jacko:

beers.


we'd never advocate anything illegal around here) ;)


never stopped college students before! i think the people above me have actually been drunk all year long. :)
04/26/2007 09:13:06 AM · #8
Originally posted by eqsite:


Now, I'm not really normally this sappy, but I find that there is almost always some silver lining waiting to be found. Maybe I'm just lucky, but maybe it's more a question of attitude. I hope this helps :)


you are very helpful, starting to feel a bit more hopeful, and thank goodness you dropped physics, wow, what a crazy person! im a liberal arts major which=a degree in nothing at all. you have to fufill 3 minors. mine are art (taking all photo classes with that), magazine journalism, and coaching. if i even had to take one physics class here i would probably die. ;) well im off to take my only nap of the week, it'll be longer than my nights of sleep have been!

Message edited by author 2007-04-26 09:13:40.
04/26/2007 09:15:39 AM · #9
Originally posted by illoosi0n:

... and then my cruise to alaska means good photos with my hopefully by then fixed lenses. ...


When are you going to Alaska? My parents will be on a cruise there this June...
04/26/2007 09:16:32 AM · #10
Originally posted by KaDi:

Originally posted by illoosi0n:

... and then my cruise to alaska means good photos with my hopefully by then fixed lenses. ...


When are you going to Alaska? My parents will be on a cruise there this June...


july 15th-20th!
04/26/2007 09:21:00 AM · #11
Originally posted by illoosi0n:

Originally posted by KaDi:

Originally posted by illoosi0n:

... and then my cruise to alaska means good photos with my hopefully by then fixed lenses. ...


When are you going to Alaska? My parents will be on a cruise there this June...


july 15th-20th!


Should be nice then. My parents are celebrating a landmark anniversary...too bad your photojournalist skills won't be available for hire on their cruise.

Oh, and on topic, sleep deprivation is not a good thing to play around with. :) Being sappy, (which I'll own up to even if Gary won't)...it's good to keep a reality check on things...on the best day of your life you'll think to yourself that you'll never be sad again. So on the saddest day of your life, realize that things won't always be this way either.
04/26/2007 09:29:11 AM · #12
Originally posted by KaDi:

on the best day of your life you'll think to yourself that you'll never be sad again. So on the saddest day of your life, realize that things won't always be this way either.


That's so beautiful sappy true!
04/26/2007 10:11:26 AM · #13
Originally posted by rossbilly:

Originally posted by Jacko:

beers.


LOL (though I'm sure that would help her sleep deprivation, she's only 18 & of course we'd never advocate anything illegal around here) ;)



That's what border towns in Mexico are for; gettin drunk when you're 18.

Sounds like a road trip.
04/26/2007 10:14:49 AM · #14
Originally posted by illoosi0n:

So at this point my week has become so horrible that I don't know what to do, and am wondering if anyone is having a worse one than me. If so, it would make me not feel so bad. It's almost funny by now, every time I think it can't get any more terrifying, it does.

a. Pulled one all nighter
b. Pulled three 2-hours of sleep nights
c. For my finals, 3 of which I still completely bombed
d. When my coach (student athlete) decided to throw us the biggest erg(rowing machine) test of the year, 2000 meters full out.
e. Where I broke down and completely quit halfway through, and got a score worse than 4 years ago when I had just begun the sport. Could have gotten me kicked off the team.
f. I recently had an incident with changing lenses which resulted in me dropping them, and the 70-300 mm was broken. Whatever, things happen, I'm clumsy, and unlucky. Last night, I went to use my 18-135 mm... and it was broken too.
g. So I reluctantly made my way over to Ritz Camera, the only camera place I know of around here, and found out its going to be about 200-300 per lens to fix, about 6-8 weeks from now. Nice. Wondering if Nikon wouldve been just as expensive? Probably should've checked.
h. I lift weights with my team at 5:30 on Thursday mornings. Just now when I was leaving, I heard a strange noise in my car. A huge piece underneath is dragging on the ground, and it now has to be towed to the shop. I am going to Tampa this weekend for something extremely important. Oops! WAS going to Tampa.
i. i still have a 15 page paper due today and final tomorrow, plus practice both days, 3 hours apiece.
j. after finals are over tomorrow, however, I get summer! Wrong again, I have 2-3 a day practices leading up to the biggest race of the year 3 weeks from now.

Glad I got that out. Anyways, everyone write whats been bothering or troubling you this week! woooo feel so much better now, until I shut my laptop and get back to the real world. :)


Sounds like your plate is full. Just don't push yourself too hard. When I was in college, once I pulled 2 back to back all-nighters, then wound up sleeping through a final exam and a project presentation.
04/26/2007 10:30:35 AM · #15
Originally posted by illoosi0n:

So at this point my week has become so horrible that I don't know what to do, and am wondering if anyone is having a worse one than me. If so, it would make me not feel so bad. It's almost funny by now, every time I think it can't get any more terrifying, it does.

...

Glad I got that out. Anyways, everyone write whats been bothering or troubling you this week! woooo feel so much better now, until I shut my laptop and get back to the real world. :)


Your post reminds me of a couple of things;

the person who was complaining about their being on crutches until they met a person with no legs, and the fact that the very best/strongest swords are fired and beaten, fired and beaten, fired and beaten, fired and beaten, fired and beaten, fired and beaten, fired and beaten, fired and beaten, fired and beaten, fired and beaten...maybe a 1000 times.

Your trials that don't kill you, only make you stronger. Like the beaten sword blade. Be thankful for this lesson in fortitude and character building.
04/26/2007 10:40:00 AM · #16
Yeesh, you made me have flash backs to my college days. I wasn't an athlete, but a music major, so substitute practicing in place of training and you've about nailed my schedule.

What I learned:

Prioritize. What is happening next that needs to be done. Do it now. Then the next thing, then the next thing. If something doesn't need to be done until tomorrow, and you've got something due now, do what is due now, now. :)

Take it one day at a time, one hour at a time, even. Do not worry about tomorrow, because tomorrow has its own worries. Take care of today. Also, yesterday is gone, can't change it, so it is not worth worrying about.

This too shall pass, and when it does, you will be on a ship taking some marvelous pictures. (If your lens isn't fixed, maybe renting, or buying a cheap one? I know cheap glass is heresy, but I would think cheap glass is better than no glass)

And finally, my mantra during college --

If there is time to sleep, there is time to get it done. If there isn't time to sleep, well, you know what you know, and you can do what you can.

04/26/2007 04:33:38 PM · #17
I know exactly what you're talking about... Too much pressure is horrible..Talking about getting a positive perspective is one thing but getting it is another new ball game.. I would recommend going full speed ahead and getting things done no matter what quality you churn out... Just don't quit... Remember you will laugh about this one day...believe me...

Even though right now I dread waking up these days because I absolutely hate my uni... My worst week happened at the beginning of the year... I was on trial for cheating on a program me and my friend wrote together.. We specifically told our teachers that we'd done it together [most of the class couldn't attempt it].. but the uni big uns decided we were up to no good. I was so tense because getting an f for something I hadn't done was a painful thought. I couldn't eat because the whole thing consumed my every waking thought... The butterflies in my stomach just wouldn't let me sleep... And worst of all I told no one... keeping a happy face was the hardest thing to do.. Then my programming teacher emailed me confirming that the whole thing was nothing but a misunderstanding .. he would sort it out for us..
In that week I won a ribbon and was gifted a membership [squeal!!]..

So things turned out all right in the end...
04/26/2007 04:47:14 PM · #18
Originally posted by illoosi0n:

So at this point my week has become so horrible that I don't know what to do, and am wondering if anyone is having a worse one than me. If so, it would make me not feel so bad.

Nope. Mine has not been that great, but yours sucks MUCH worse than mine.

Thanks for making me feel better. :)
04/26/2007 05:40:23 PM · #19
The only bad thing that has happened to me recently is I crashed my van into a house. *shrug* other than that I'm good.

Like someone else said, maybe without your car you'll stay out of an horrific accident and actually get some sleep. *g*
04/26/2007 07:26:15 PM · #20
Crumby week over here, too, although I think yours is a bit worse than mine. In addition to the usual (work AND school), I lost a game of office politics. Not only do I hate office politics, I just want stuff done right! Bah!

On the upside, there's a new week next week.
Pages:  
Current Server Time: 03/31/2020 10:49:17 PM

Please log in or register to post to the forums.


Home - Challenges - Community - League - Photos - Cameras - Lenses - Learn - Prints! - Help - Terms of Use - Privacy - Top ^
DPChallenge, and website content and design, Copyright © 2001-2020 Challenging Technologies, LLC.
All digital photo copyrights belong to the photographers and may not be used without permission.
Proudly hosted by Sargasso Networks. Current Server Time: 03/31/2020 10:49:17 PM EDT.