DPChallenge: A Digital Photography Contest You are not logged in. (log in or register
 

DPChallenge Forums >> Current Challenge >> Get Motivated and Post Your Scores Here
Pages:  
Showing posts 76 - 100 of 146, (reverse)
AuthorThread
09/03/2007 12:31:46 PM · #76
Just wanted to give a shout out to eyewave..

Not only the first of almost 60 to leave a comment, but a great constructive well thought out comment at that...

Thanks!!

09/03/2007 12:35:40 PM · #77
*blushes* You're welcome. This is a challenge where I can do what I do best.
09/03/2007 01:56:04 PM · #78
5.58!!

I don't get it, all my recent shots have been doing awful, but most of them are among the best i've taken, in my opinion.

Too weird.
09/03/2007 02:47:42 PM · #79
Originally posted by eyewave:

Originally posted by WriteHeart:


Thanks so much for the comments. I am really getting dinged on the font I used. What font do they use for motivational posters?


depends very much on the subject. ask me after the challenge.


Not really. If you are asking about the workplace propaganda posters, the font is the same on all of them I have ever seen. Times New Roman being a very reasonable fascimile.
09/03/2007 03:10:55 PM · #80
Originally posted by routerguy666:



Not really. If you are asking about the workplace propaganda posters, the font is the same on all of them I have ever seen. Times New Roman being a very reasonable fascimile.


You haven't seen much of them, have you? Not every font that looks like Times New Roman actully is Times. Besides that, the mentioned posters are just one specific style, have a look here for example and you will find several different styles.

And there is no rule you have to use Times or similar fonts, it's just lame designers that use it, because they think they are expected to.
09/03/2007 03:13:04 PM · #81
Votes: 62
Views: 100
Avg Vote: 6.1774
Comments: 5
Favorites: 0

I'm amused with how many negative comments I'm getting and still holding over 6.
09/03/2007 03:27:29 PM · #82
Amazing! I'm still trying to figure out anything that voters here like. I'm beginning to think we don't share a common frame of reference...

Votes: 62
Views: 99
Avg Vote: 5.2742
Comments: 2
09/03/2007 03:47:45 PM · #83
Votes: 60
Views: 116
Avg Vote: 5.8000
Comments: 3
Favorites: 1
Wish Lists: 0
Updated: 09/03/07 03:39 pm
09/03/2007 04:05:20 PM · #84
Votes: 67
Views: 139
Avg Vote: 6.1194
Comments: 8
Favorites: 0
09/03/2007 04:18:51 PM · #85
Originally posted by eyewave:

Originally posted by routerguy666:



Not really. If you are asking about the workplace propaganda posters, the font is the same on all of them I have ever seen. Times New Roman being a very reasonable fascimile.


You haven't seen much of them, have you? Not every font that looks like Times New Roman actully is Times. Besides that, the mentioned posters are just one specific style, have a look here for example and you will find several different styles.

And there is no rule you have to use Times or similar fonts, it's just lame designers that use it, because they think they are expected to.


I've seen plenty of them, at least the ones I referenced. Why would designers be lame for using one font over another? Because they are making money doing it and you aren't?

Half the posters on that page you linked look like the generic ones I mentioned and use the typical Times looking font.

Message edited by author 2007-09-03 16:21:22.
09/03/2007 05:31:58 PM · #86
Votes: 70
Views: 125
Avg Vote: 5.7143
Comments: 0
Favorites: 1

Been slooooowly creeping up all day. 70 votes, no comments. But I got a fave. Not too shabby. Doing better than I expected (I almost pulled it out before the voting started).
09/03/2007 07:17:36 PM · #87
Originally posted by eyewave:

Originally posted by Puckzzz:

I didn't mean that in a bad way.
I've learnt a lot since I've been here, and I enjoy the challenges a lot.

it wasn't a complaint or anything, just a thought.


So now you're gonna learn something about graphic design, ain't that great? :)

I for one am happy my skills pay out in this challenge...

' . substr('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/49109/thumb/452025.gif', strrpos('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/49109/thumb/452025.gif', '/') + 1) . '


Ya, but did you show some creativity or did you just duplicate an existing poster? Sorry, just a little bitter from your comment. :-P

Votes: 77
Views: 135
Avg Vote: 6.6623
Comments: 6
Favorites: 0
Wish Lists: 0
Updated: 09/03/07 07:10 pm

Some major droppage today but didn't expect much to begin with.

Message edited by author 2007-09-03 19:18:41.
09/03/2007 09:17:33 PM · #88
Originally posted by yanko:

Originally posted by eyewave:

Originally posted by Puckzzz:

I didn't mean that in a bad way.
I've learnt a lot since I've been here, and I enjoy the challenges a lot.

it wasn't a complaint or anything, just a thought.


So now you're gonna learn something about graphic design, ain't that great? :)

I for one am happy my skills pay out in this challenge...

' . substr('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/49109/thumb/452025.gif', strrpos('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/49109/thumb/452025.gif', '/') + 1) . '


Ya, but did you show some creativity or did you just duplicate an existing poster? Sorry, just a little bitter from your comment. :-P

Votes: 77
Views: 135
Avg Vote: 6.6623
Comments: 6
Favorites: 0
Wish Lists: 0
Updated: 09/03/07 07:10 pm

Some major droppage today but didn't expect much to begin with.


Agreed! eyewave made some really nitpicking comments on my mediocre image. While I appreciate the effort by anyone to leave any comments, it's not all that helpful to have someone dredge up minor points and paint them as major flaws. Consider the source!
09/03/2007 11:03:40 PM · #89
Votes: 77
Views: 124
Avg Vote: 5.7662
Comments: 4

If I can crawl up and reach 6 at this point, I'll be happy.
09/03/2007 11:07:57 PM · #90
Votes: 82
Views: 143
Avg Vote: 5.3415
Comments: 7
Favorites: 0
Wish Lists: 0

I started in mid 4s and now getting up. Some people have started to understand about what I presented them. Photo over all is just mediocre.

Message edited by author 2007-09-03 23:08:26.
09/03/2007 11:11:00 PM · #91
Originally posted by Rae-Ann:

Just wanted to give a shout out to eyewave..

Not only the first of almost 60 to leave a comment, but a great constructive well thought out comment at that...

Thanks!!


I second it.

Thanks eyewave.
09/04/2007 12:20:28 AM · #92
Originally posted by yanko:

Originally posted by eyewave:

[quote=Puckzzz] I didn't mean that in a bad way.
I've learnt a lot since I've been here, and I enjoy the challenges a lot.

it wasn't a complaint or anything, just a thought.


So now you're gonna learn something about graphic design, ain't that great? :)

I for one am happy my skills pay out in this challenge...

' . substr('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/49109/thumb/452025.gif', strrpos('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/49109/thumb/452025.gif', '/') + 1) . '


Ya, but did you show some creativity or did you just duplicate an existing poster? Sorry, just a little bitter from your comment. :-P

Now, now, calm down Richard... :-)

You mentioned mine wasn't original. I thought motivational posters had a certain look to them. I used that 'look' as a basis for my image. I love my image. The frame and text around it are an accurate representation of the motivational style poster. I guess that's why mine is currently sitting at 7.3XXX. :-)

Message edited by author 2007-09-04 00:20:52.
09/04/2007 12:34:48 AM · #93
Believe me ... lol...my poster is motivational...and ORIGINAL..and NOT over processed...BUT..vote as you may...it is a POSTER..it has a LOOK..and it is different...it is not a shoehorn with a poetic phrase....it is what it is and will score what it does...and it isn't a 7.3...but who cares?...sheesh..lol
09/04/2007 12:57:58 AM · #94
Originally posted by hotpasta:

Originally posted by yanko:

Originally posted by eyewave:

[quote=Puckzzz] I didn't mean that in a bad way.
I've learnt a lot since I've been here, and I enjoy the challenges a lot.

it wasn't a complaint or anything, just a thought.


So now you're gonna learn something about graphic design, ain't that great? :)

I for one am happy my skills pay out in this challenge...

' . substr('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/49109/thumb/452025.gif', strrpos('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/49109/thumb/452025.gif', '/') + 1) . '


Ya, but did you show some creativity or did you just duplicate an existing poster? Sorry, just a little bitter from your comment. :-P

Now, now, calm down Richard... :-)

You mentioned mine wasn't original. I thought motivational posters had a certain look to them. I used that 'look' as a basis for my image. I love my image. The frame and text around it are an accurate representation of the motivational style poster. I guess that's why mine is currently sitting at 7.3XXX. :-)


Ha. Well, I did use the smilie in the post above so it was tongue in cheek. For all I know I probably rated his very highly.

As for the challenge comment you got, I left that on a few. I figured some would be doing very well when I left them. FWIW, I'm not referring to the look and feel but rather the choice in subject matter in the photo. Some look like carbon copies of actual motivational posters I've seen so they got marked down a little rather than bumped up because they lacked little to no originality to them. I would do the same if it looked exactly like a prior DPC entry. Anyway, I figure I should at least say why it wasn't getting a "wow, 10" comment. Plus why do you even care? Clearly everyone else thinks differently judging by your score so just ignore me. :)

ETA: I wish I was getting some comments on my FS entry that was critical of it. Instead I get people wanting to use my entry as a soap box to complain about the expert editing ruleset. Seems like I've already gotten more of that then some of the past big winners in the expert rule set that was far less photographic in nature than mine. But oh well can't complain too much since it's doing a 6.5 at the moment.

Message edited by author 2007-09-04 01:01:28.
09/04/2007 01:09:54 AM · #95
Remember...lol..a poster is a POSTER..a photograph is a... well...lol..another thing... you know..meeting the Challenge...lol..

Message edited by author 2007-09-04 01:11:55.
09/04/2007 03:09:03 AM · #96
Originally posted by routerguy666:



I've seen plenty of them, at least the ones I referenced. Why would designers be lame for using one font over another? Because they are making money doing it and you aren't?



A good designer is someone who creates something new everyday instead of copying the same old scheme. And Times is one of the most boring fonts ever. BTW, design is my profession and I make a fair amount of money with it.

Originally posted by routerguy666:



Half the posters on that page you linked look like the generic ones I mentioned and use the typical Times looking font.


Yes, but only half of them. And "generic" says it all, doesn't it?


09/04/2007 03:12:20 AM · #97
Originally posted by yanko:



Ya, but did you show some creativity or did you just duplicate an existing poster? Sorry, just a little bitter from your comment. :-P



Richard, I see that tongue-in cheek icon, but I am not sure if you really mean it. BTW, my entry is the one that is NOT a copy :-o
09/04/2007 03:15:08 AM · #98
Originally posted by hahn23:

Agreed! eyewave made some really nitpicking comments on my mediocre image. While I appreciate the effort by anyone to leave any comments, it's not all that helpful to have someone dredge up minor points and paint them as major flaws. Consider the source!


I don't think I "paint minor points as major flaws", what I mark as a major flaw is a major flaw in my eyes. Remember, it's only an opinion. And as this is an anonymous challenge I can't "consider the source".
09/04/2007 03:17:21 AM · #99
quote by ' . substr('//www.dpchallenge.com/images/user_icon/21.gif', strrpos('//www.dpchallenge.com/images/user_icon/21.gif', '/') + 1) . ' eyewave: A good designer is someone who creates something new everyday instead of copying the same old scheme. And Times is one of the most boring fonts ever. BTW, design is my profession and I make a fair amount of money with it.

Times, Comic Sans and Arial are the most boring, overused fonts. I agree with you. The right font choice is just as important as the wrong font choice. Choose wrongly and you will have a completely different look and feel...even cheesy and garrish. Choose rightly and you will have the right emotion, feel, professionalism conveyed.

09/04/2007 03:26:43 AM · #100
Bravo! This challenge has produced some of the best work I've ever seen on this site. Bravo!!!
Pages:  
Current Server Time: 05/29/2020 12:20:04 PM

Please log in or register to post to the forums.


Home - Challenges - Community - League - Photos - Cameras - Lenses - Learn - Prints! - Help - Terms of Use - Privacy - Top ^
DPChallenge, and website content and design, Copyright © 2001-2020 Challenging Technologies, LLC.
All digital photo copyrights belong to the photographers and may not be used without permission.
Proudly hosted by Sargasso Networks. Current Server Time: 05/29/2020 12:20:04 PM EDT.