DPChallenge: A Digital Photography Contest You are not logged in. (log in or register

DPChallenge Forums >> Photography Discussion >> Dedicated yet non-commerical insurance?
Showing posts 1 - 4 of 4, (reverse)
04/21/2008 02:49:30 AM · #1
I am not much up to date about laws. I am based in the united states, florida specifically. I would like to insure my equipment. I may do some commercial business with it but not much, nor do I have a registered company, nor a business address. The few commercial insurances I have found obviously want such information. I know it is possible to add some coverage to renters insurance, however as I understand it, doing anything at all commercial with my camera, even selling a print for a buck, could void the coverage. Also the renters insurance I imagine may not be the best coverage, i.e. only paying out the used value of the equipment or not covering the equipment if used for wildlife photography, hey you never know.

Also I do not currently have renters insurance, I was having some trouble finding an affordable plan. I need to have a look at the market again. :)

So anyway, can anyone advise me on this very vague and confusing topic? This is the most expensive purchase I have ever made and if something happens, theft, stupidity, massive camera hating dragons. I need to know I'm not getting skewed.

Thanks much in advance for any advice.
04/21/2008 03:14:46 AM · #2
I'm in Oklahoma and have been looking as well. You could still set up a "business" insurance and just use your name for the company name. I've found that the insurance ranges from $500 to $750 per year for $20,000 coverage. That should cover any of your equipment and anything else minor that might happen.
04/21/2008 05:27:58 AM · #3
back in canada, I had my bike insured for a value of 2450 for a few years. I had it appraised once by a local bike shop, with a signed document and that was enough for the insurance co. It covered just about anything.

It was a rider on the home insurance policy of my parents. I think it was $78 bucks a year for it.

Covered just about any kind of loss with a 100 dollar deductable.

Home insurance is usually the way to go.
04/21/2008 08:30:17 AM · #4

I have my equipment insured through CHUBBS. I had to become a member of NANPA, which I didn't mind as they send me their magazine every month and they offer some discounts on camera stuff.
For me this was the most affordable way to insure my equipment.

Current Server Time: 10/21/2021 05:25:30 PM

Please log in or register to post to the forums.

Home - Challenges - Community - League - Photos - Cameras - Lenses - Learn - Prints! - Help - Terms of Use - Privacy - Top ^
DPChallenge, and website content and design, Copyright © 2001-2021 Challenging Technologies, LLC.
All digital photo copyrights belong to the photographers and may not be used without permission.
Proudly hosted by Sargasso Networks. Current Server Time: 10/21/2021 05:25:30 PM EDT.