DPChallenge: A Digital Photography Contest You are not logged in. (log in or register
 

DPChallenge Forums >> Current Challenge >> Orange??
Pages:  
Showing posts 1 - 25 of 50, (reverse)
AuthorThread
03/24/2004 01:34:27 AM · #1
Is it just me, or do a lot of the pictures in the current challenge simply lack orange as the primary colour??? There are some very nice pictures out there with red, yellow and other colours...but unfortunately I find I'm having to mark down some excellent pictures because they lack or underemphasise orange...anyone else gets the same impression?
03/24/2004 01:35:31 AM · #2
You are not the only one. I felt the same way too.
03/24/2004 01:36:38 AM · #3
Good thing I didn't enter :)
03/24/2004 01:38:31 AM · #4
I was going to say the same thing. Lots of yellow and red in addition to the orange pictures. Oh well!
03/24/2004 01:39:55 AM · #5
With orange being on a continuum between yellow and red, and given the range of monitors and sets of eyes out there, I allow a lot of latitude for variation in deciding when to name a color orange.

Some people may have deliberately framed the orange with its primary components. And if their photo is just yellow and red, try walking down the hall and see if you spot an orange rectangle on the monitor.
03/24/2004 01:42:51 AM · #6
Where it's not clearly orange I just ask myself if there was a red, orange, and yellow challenge, which one would I put this photo in? If the answer is yellow or red, I mark it down.
03/24/2004 01:44:05 AM · #7
I already have a comment that mine is red when it is nowhere near to it (in camera, on my screen, and my boyfriend's screen). Please check your monitors/double-check on a different one. I'm not really worried about getting many more of those though, it is just annoying.
03/24/2004 01:44:11 AM · #8
Originally posted by GeneralE:

With orange being on a continuum between yellow and red, and given the range of monitors and sets of eyes out there, I allow a lot of latitude for variation in deciding when to name a color orange.

Some people may have deliberately framed the orange with its primary components. And if their photo is just yellow and red, try walking down the hall and see if you spot an orange rectangle on the monitor.


Yeah I thought of being more lenient with the colour range -- but I'd have to be colour blind to call some of these reds an orange :(
Oh well still lots of good shots out there...
03/24/2004 01:45:50 AM · #9
Originally posted by Ami Yuy:

I already have a comment that mine is red when it is nowhere near to it (in camera, on my screen, and my boyfriend's screen). Please check your monitors/double-check on a different one. I'm not really worried about getting many more of those though, it is just annoying.


That's another problem too...I use a laptop so I know my screen resolution is pretty good...but sometimes I will look at the same site on a different computer with a worse screen and it will display entirely differently!! A lot of monitors won't show every colour, or will alter them -- that's a big problem here!
03/24/2004 01:48:26 AM · #10
Originally posted by Hayane:

Yeah I thought of being more lenient with the colour range -- but I'd have to be colour blind to call some of these reds an orange :(
Oh well still lots of good shots out there...

Many of us (about 10% of men) are color-blind, often compromising the ability to distinguish reds in particular. I was asking my son all evening (when I was shooting) "is that red or orange?" Ultimately, I can usually adjust the final color accurately enough using Photoshop's densitomiter ("Info" window).
03/24/2004 01:49:26 AM · #11
i see more photoshop tricks in these than in other challenges.
03/24/2004 01:50:27 AM · #12
Some of the pictures are obviously not orange. I don't think it really matters what monitor you have, but I do see the pictures that could go either way. I usually vote for all of the pictures and then go back later and revote after I have previewed all of them. I think in this case I will be more lenient when I go back and vote my second time(although I usually don't vote low the first time). Overall I think there are some really nice pictures.
03/24/2004 01:58:59 AM · #13
Maybe some people should be a bit open minded about these "Color" challenges. Here is an example of what I mean:

Blue challenge and a ribbon winner

' . substr('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_challenge/44/thumb/9154.jpg', strrpos('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_challenge/44/thumb/9154.jpg', '/') + 1) . '
03/24/2004 03:19:57 AM · #14
I am getting hammered vote wise..and it is orange to me. Perhaps only safety orange counts?

I have voted on some 10..and seem to be leaving comments on ALL of them so far. I don't think I will mark those that have shifted the tones / colors to orange on non-orange objects very high.
03/24/2004 06:38:13 AM · #15
I'm going to look for pictures where the orange stand out. This could be an orange piece of candy on a large white surface. I don't care if there is more white than orangeé
03/24/2004 07:11:59 AM · #16
Originally posted by Jacko:

I'm going to look for pictures where the orange stand out. This could be an orange piece of candy on a large white surface. I don't care if there is more white than orangeé


Exactly. That's the trick, make the orange stand out.

I'm amazed at the number of 'potentially' good shots with bad focus.
03/24/2004 07:25:11 AM · #17
Exactly. That's the trick, make the orange stand out.

I'm amazed at the number of 'potentially' good shots with bad focus. [/quote]

I'd have to agree with you.. really disappointed with those shots that look good on thumbnails but up close the focus is terrible. And to think we all are using digital cameras where we can check whether its on focus or not! :(
03/24/2004 07:43:19 AM · #18
Have just done my first phase of voting and have to agree that some shots aren't orange at all. I scanned through all the thumbnails before work this morning and was really impressed. But close up and on better inspection there are very many yellow and red shots and some with bad focus. So instantly for me antything that is at least orange is getting a 5 then between the 5 and 10 depending on it's merit photographically.
03/24/2004 08:10:55 AM · #19
I'm a total newby at this and took a lot of pictures trying to find that creative "orange". Is there a point where I might post a couple of the ones I didn't choose to see if I might have hit the mark with a different photo? I do agree that I am giving higher marks for pictures which are obviously orange.
03/24/2004 08:14:45 AM · #20
Originally posted by bestagents:

I am getting hammered vote wise..and it is orange to me. Perhaps only safety orange counts?

I have voted on some 10..and seem to be leaving comments on ALL of them so far. I don't think I will mark those that have shifted the tones / colors to orange on non-orange objects very high.


Unfortunately, in most cases it's pretty hard to tell which ones are altered colourwise. The ones that are abvious would most likely be considered digital art.

Message edited by author 2004-03-24 08:17:26.
03/24/2004 08:21:34 AM · #21
Originally posted by stevens:

Where it's not clearly orange I just ask myself if there was a red, orange, and yellow challenge, which one would I put this photo in? If the answer is yellow or red, I mark it down.


god help us all...
03/24/2004 08:27:21 AM · #22
I am getting sick of orange on a flat or graduated photoshop orange background. If the subject is orange should we have contast. Anyone else agree?
03/24/2004 08:44:04 AM · #23
Exactly! I have orange on a colored background which isn't ORANGE and my only comment so far... lovely still life, but not much orange. So I guess between this thread and the still life thread, there's no hope of my shot going above 5.5

-danny

Originally posted by missile:

I am getting sick of orange on a flat or graduated photoshop orange background. If the subject is orange should we have contast. Anyone else agree?

03/24/2004 08:51:47 AM · #24
I got my first comment, with a 1 attached.

So thank you to the person for providing the score, and the comment.

I applaud you.

I don't happen to agree, but that's a different thing entirely :)

03/24/2004 09:01:37 AM · #25
Originally posted by josevillacorte:


I'd have to agree with you.. really disappointed with those shots that look good on thumbnails but up close the focus is terrible. And to think we all are using digital cameras where we can check whether its on focus or not! :(


In defense of all those with lower end digital cameras, my camera does not have a manual focus. So as much as I'd like to change the focus I can't. This makes it really hard to get the focus I want, since the camera decides for me. I can tell that mine is probably one of these since my score is kind of showing it already.

Anyone want to donate to a fund so I can buy a better digital camera... one with focus!?!?
Pages:  
Current Server Time: 01/17/2021 05:50:35 PM

Please log in or register to post to the forums.


Home - Challenges - Community - League - Photos - Cameras - Lenses - Learn - Prints! - Help - Terms of Use - Privacy - Top ^
DPChallenge, and website content and design, Copyright © 2001-2021 Challenging Technologies, LLC.
All digital photo copyrights belong to the photographers and may not be used without permission.
Proudly hosted by Sargasso Networks. Current Server Time: 01/17/2021 05:50:35 PM EST.