DPChallenge: A Digital Photography Contest You are not logged in. (log in or register
 

DPChallenge Forums >> Photography Discussion >> Shots of tonight's ISS transit
Pages:  
Showing posts 1 - 13 of 13, (reverse)
AuthorThread
03/18/2009 11:33:11 PM · #1
Three of a handful of shots of tonight's transit of the International Space Station here in Iowa. First time I've tried anything like this, and thought they turned out pretty well. I'm curious what everyone else thinks.

' . substr('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/5000-9999/7033/120/774507.jpg', strrpos('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/5000-9999/7033/120/774507.jpg', '/') + 1) . ' ' . substr('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/5000-9999/7033/120/774508.jpg', strrpos('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/5000-9999/7033/120/774508.jpg', '/') + 1) . ' ' . substr('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/5000-9999/7033/120/774509.jpg', strrpos('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/5000-9999/7033/120/774509.jpg', '/') + 1) . '

Technical: 400D, EF 35mm f2.0, 25 sec exposures at ISO 100.
03/18/2009 11:44:36 PM · #2
Nice. Construction on the ISS will be visible with home telescopes according to this article from NASA -- tomorrow and Sunday are listed as the best days ...
03/18/2009 11:59:52 PM · #3
way cool! thanks for sharing :-)
03/19/2009 12:09:31 AM · #4
Originally posted by GeneralE:

Nice. Construction on the ISS will be visible with home telescopes according to this article from NASA -- tomorrow and Sunday are listed as the best days ...


Now that would be pretty darn cool! I'll have to start asking around to find someone with a telescope...
07/03/2009 04:54:10 PM · #5
There will be a whole series of North American flyovers by the ISS starting July 4th, for those who want a different kind of fireworks.
07/03/2009 09:29:20 PM · #6
' . substr('//www.dpchallenge.com/images/user_icon/31_F.gif', strrpos('//www.dpchallenge.com/images/user_icon/31_F.gif', '/') + 1) . ' Becky-Lee finally assembled her Christmas-present telescope today, so we'll have to give it a tryout tonight, for sure!
07/03/2009 09:40:55 PM · #7
Originally posted by pncowley:

Three of a handful of shots of tonight's transit of the International Space Station here in Iowa. First time I've tried anything like this, and thought they turned out pretty well. I'm curious what everyone else thinks.

' . substr('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/5000-9999/7033/120/774507.jpg', strrpos('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/5000-9999/7033/120/774507.jpg', '/') + 1) . ' ' . substr('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/5000-9999/7033/120/774508.jpg', strrpos('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/5000-9999/7033/120/774508.jpg', '/') + 1) . ' ' . substr('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/5000-9999/7033/120/774509.jpg', strrpos('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/5000-9999/7033/120/774509.jpg', '/') + 1) . '

Technical: 400D, EF 35mm f2.0, 25 sec exposures at ISO 100.


cool! what shutter speed did you use?

We're actually going to have 3 days of 5+ minutes each! So cool!

Message edited by author 2009-07-03 21:41:51.
07/04/2009 02:53:26 AM · #8
lol, I think I caught it on accident 2 nights ago. It definitely looks like what's in these photos, and wasn't a plane
07/04/2009 05:18:17 AM · #9
Originally posted by Blue Moon:

lol, I think I caught it on accident 2 nights ago. It definitely looks like what's in these photos, and wasn't a plane


Quite possibly, although it was more likely a regular satellite, you can usually see a few of those just after sundown as they still catch the suns rays being so high up.
07/07/2009 01:43:35 AM · #10
Took a few shots tonight myself... I missed my really awesome shots a couple of nights ago when it basicly made a 1/2 circle right over the Superstition Mountains. I stood there watching it wishing I had set up my camera... ;)

I haven't done much with these yet -- anyone have any thoughts on processing? These are out of the camera, with only a little wb adjustment.

I got one of it passing by Ursa Major (you can even make out the double in the "neck" (Mizar/Alcor)!...

' . substr('//www.cdricephotography.com/media/20090707-DSC_2894-150x150.jpg', strrpos('//www.cdricephotography.com/media/20090707-DSC_2894-150x150.jpg', '/') + 1) . '

and another before it set into the Superstitions...

' . substr('//www.cdricephotography.com/media/20090707-DSC_2897-150x150.jpg', strrpos('//www.cdricephotography.com/media/20090707-DSC_2897-150x150.jpg', '/') + 1) . '

It's making another pass in a few minutes, but might be too low to see behind the mountains -- but I'm certainly going to try!

ETA -- Nope, @#%@ neighbors have their horses out for late-night exercise and had their 20 freaking 10,000W flood lights on. No more photos from the back yard tonight, I guess. Grumble, grumble.


Message edited by author 2009-07-07 02:05:19.
07/07/2009 10:08:41 PM · #11
Didn't take the camera -- just went out and watched. Seen it before, but it doesn't get old for me. I'm still fascinated.
07/07/2009 10:34:41 PM · #12
Originally posted by cdrice:

ETA -- Nope, @#%@ neighbors have their horses out for late-night exercise and had their 20 freaking 10,000W flood lights on. No more photos from the back yard tonight, I guess. Grumble, grumble.

Wow, very nice photos. You might look into whether that degree of light pollution violates any building, zoning, or environmental codes -- they may be required to adjust their schedule or mitigate the effects.
07/07/2009 10:40:27 PM · #13
I think you may have seen the ISS. There is a NASA link that you can use to know when and where to look. You input your zip code or Lat Lon and it gives you a 2 week viewing opportunity schedule.
NASA Sighting Op Page
Here are a couple of my shots of it coming over.
' . substr('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/65000-69999/69008/120/739960.jpg', strrpos('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/65000-69999/69008/120/739960.jpg', '/') + 1) . ' ' . substr('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/65000-69999/69008/120/740351.jpg', strrpos('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/65000-69999/69008/120/740351.jpg', '/') + 1) . '


Pages:  
Current Server Time: 10/28/2020 01:25:46 AM

Please log in or register to post to the forums.


Home - Challenges - Community - League - Photos - Cameras - Lenses - Learn - Prints! - Help - Terms of Use - Privacy - Top ^
DPChallenge, and website content and design, Copyright © 2001-2020 Challenging Technologies, LLC.
All digital photo copyrights belong to the photographers and may not be used without permission.
Proudly hosted by Sargasso Networks. Current Server Time: 10/28/2020 01:25:46 AM EDT.