DPChallenge: A Digital Photography Contest You are not logged in. (log in or register
 

DPChallenge Forums >> Hardware and Software >> Mac users - Snow Leopard compatibility
Pages:  
Showing posts 51 - 75 of 84, (reverse)
AuthorThread
09/01/2009 12:38:20 PM · #51
The installation is fairly harmless. I have only been Mac a few months and after YEARS of nightmarish Windows upgrades, this really was painless. This is the only issue I have found and only happens if I open a .jpg. It doesn't happen when I convert to a .jpg while editing.
09/01/2009 01:35:50 PM · #52
Originally posted by CEJ:

when I open a .jpg, the screen around the image is blocked - some gray (as it should be) while there are large 'blocks' that are black with RGB speckles.

I opened several JPEGs and don't see anything like that. It must be specific to some settings you're using.
09/01/2009 02:31:24 PM · #53
Excellent... you've found the photoshop 'crossword game' easter egg... :)

ETA something useful: Have you done a repair permissions?

Message edited by author 2009-09-01 14:31:55.
09/01/2009 02:34:12 PM · #54
I went through settings/preferences and saw nothing that was different than before or looked strange. Both in the OS and CS4. But I may not know what I am looking for if it is OS related. Still learning a lot about the Mac.

OK, I will again sound ignorant...I don't know what that means to "repair permissions." What permissions? Where?

Message edited by author 2009-09-01 14:36:10.
09/01/2009 02:38:01 PM · #55
Originally posted by CEJ:

OK, I will again sound ignorant...I don't know what that means to "repair permissions." What permissions? Where?

Ah, that's a biggie. The #1 fix-all for Mac OS X...

Open Disk Utility from Applications > Utilities. Click on your hard drive in the window and then hit the Repair Permissions button. You should do this after any installation or major update.
09/01/2009 02:41:12 PM · #56
Ahh, thanks. Sounds easy enough. Will try that when I get home.

Message edited by author 2009-09-02 05:59:05.
09/01/2009 04:56:53 PM · #57
No luck. Oh well. Doesn't seem to be a problem, just looks funky.

EDIT: Just came home and for some reason tried it again and all is well. Hmm...glad I got the screen shot just so I know I wasn't going any crazier than I already am.

2nd Edit: Ok, it is back again. Guess I will get used to having the frame off.

Message edited by author 2009-09-02 06:38:51.
09/02/2009 09:40:08 AM · #58
Nikon viewNX is all screwed up :( hope nikon bring an update out soon!
09/10/2009 09:50:06 PM · #59
Anybody try Capture One 4 or the Canon EOS utilities with Snow Leopard yet? I've done some searches and don't see any problems, but I cannot afford any downtime right now so I'm being extra cautious. Thanks!
09/10/2009 09:55:38 PM · #60
Originally posted by Nusbaum:

Anybody try ... Canon EOS utilities with Snow Leopard yet?


Yes, it works fine.
09/10/2009 11:46:46 PM · #61
I just installed it--so far no problems, though it did lose my monitor calibration settings, so had to re-run spyder3 again.

Regained a full 11G of HD space (vs. the advertised 7G average) and stuff is a bit snappier. Will be glad to see an eventual update to Aperture to take advantage of the new OS.
09/10/2009 11:47:49 PM · #62
Note that there's already an update available to 10.6.1 (little bug fixes).
09/11/2009 12:03:17 AM · #63
Yup-got that.

Bummed that SafariBlock is down now, gotta watch for an update to that I guess
09/11/2009 02:03:31 AM · #64
Guess it's time to upgrade my Adobe Creative Suite to CS4...dammit.
09/11/2009 09:24:16 AM · #65
I went to open parallels last night to transfer some maps to my GPS. Version 3 is not compatible with your OS. Ok, I go ahead and order and download the version 4 upgrade. I go to install it, and it says that version 3 is going to have to be uninstalled. So I say ok, and click continue and it tells me that the windows xp virtual machine is running and it won't let me do anything about it. I tried to install version 3, but it won't let me do anything with it. So right now I'm stuck in this loop where I can't install version 4 and I can't do anything with version 3.
09/12/2009 12:11:55 AM · #66
Based on what I've read thus far...it seems to be worth the $29. They say it's a smaller footprint on your MAC. ALMOST nabbed it at the Apple store today. So, the verdict is it's ok??
09/12/2009 12:40:14 AM · #67
Originally posted by bergiekat:

Based on what I've read thus far...it seems to be worth the $29. They say it's a smaller footprint on your MAC. ALMOST nabbed it at the Apple store today. So, the verdict is it's ok??


Ordered it from Amazon for $25
09/12/2009 12:57:27 AM · #68
Originally posted by bergiekat:

...So, the verdict is it's ok??


Lean (saved me nearly 40GB), solid, fine-tuned, smooth and snappy, subtle changes to Finder:

' . substr('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/5000-9999/7778/120/820626.jpg', strrpos('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/5000-9999/7778/120/820626.jpg', '/') + 1) . ' ' . substr('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/5000-9999/7778/120/820627.jpg', strrpos('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/5000-9999/7778/120/820627.jpg', '/') + 1) . '

Message edited by author 2009-09-12 01:07:09.
09/12/2009 08:12:33 AM · #69
Originally posted by scottieham:

I went to open parallels last night to transfer some maps to my GPS. Version 3 is not compatible with your OS. Ok, I go ahead and order and download the version 4 upgrade. I go to install it, and it says that version 3 is going to have to be uninstalled. So I say ok, and click continue and it tells me that the windows xp virtual machine is running and it won't let me do anything about it. I tried to install version 3, but it won't let me do anything with it. So right now I'm stuck in this loop where I can't install version 4 and I can't do anything with version 3.


If anyone else has this problem with parallels, i found the soulution here: //kb.parallels.com/en/6659
09/17/2009 02:55:29 PM · #70
FYI - I installed Snow Leopard and InDesign CS2 seems to run just fine.

ETA: Photoshop CS2 as well

Message edited by author 2009-09-17 16:30:11.
09/21/2009 01:26:25 AM · #71
Anyone running Aperture 2.2 and Snow Leopard?
I've heard horror stories about Aperture not working after the Snow Leopard install.

(Also, can someone PM me and help me with where to put plug-ins to be used in Aperture?) My plug-in folder isn't where the directions for PhotoMatrix plugin says it should be.)
09/21/2009 01:41:25 AM · #72
Originally posted by bergiekat:

Anyone running Aperture 2.2 and Snow Leopard?
I've heard horror stories about Aperture not working after the Snow Leopard install.

(Also, can someone PM me and help me with where to put plug-ins to be used in Aperture?) My plug-in folder isn't where the directions for PhotoMatrix plugin says it should be.)

Aperture works great with Snow Leopard. Absolutely no problems.
09/21/2009 01:18:58 PM · #73
The problems they were having were with RAW files. I'm getting my Snow Leopard in the mail this week and want to load it up, but wasn't sure about the Aperture thing.
Thanks for the info.
09/22/2009 10:50:48 AM · #74
my screen seems brighter after loading Snow Leopard. I'm not a tech-head, so need the brains of you computer wizards. What all do I need to tweak now that I've loaded this thing? (I'm actually trying to read the book, but since most here are men...you prolly can't relate, lol!) I'm teasing! ;)

Are there any tricks I need to know??
09/22/2009 11:01:19 AM · #75
@ bergiekat:

I see no issue with RAW in Aperture 2. My screen is as bright as it was before Snow Lep. I don't know what you mean by "tricks".
Pages:  
Current Server Time: 04/07/2020 04:36:20 AM

Please log in or register to post to the forums.


Home - Challenges - Community - League - Photos - Cameras - Lenses - Learn - Prints! - Help - Terms of Use - Privacy - Top ^
DPChallenge, and website content and design, Copyright © 2001-2020 Challenging Technologies, LLC.
All digital photo copyrights belong to the photographers and may not be used without permission.
Proudly hosted by Sargasso Networks. Current Server Time: 04/07/2020 04:36:20 AM EDT.