DPChallenge: A Digital Photography Contest You are not logged in. (log in or register
 

DPChallenge Forums >> Hardware and Software >> Questions on new I-Mac
Pages:  
Showing posts 1 - 17 of 17, (reverse)
AuthorThread
11/22/2009 08:26:10 PM · #1
What a difference over my HP laptop. I hope some one can help me with a couple program questions.....#1 I've been using cs4. How does this compare to aperture program for editing photos? Which one would you recommend? #2 & #3; I have both topaz adjust and photomatrix. Do I have to buy them again for Mac? Last but not least. I have to look but I should have the utility program from the 5D for raw photo transfer for Mac too? Anything special I need to know about the I-Mac. I mostly use the computer for the net & processing photos.....Thanks ace...
11/22/2009 08:46:24 PM · #2
Aperture is more like Lightroom than Photoshop. A workflow/organizer program.

You should be able to get serial numbers for PhotoMatix for the Mac. I did that with no problem. Not sure about Topaz.

CS4 is your best bet for Photoshop. If you have a license for Windows you can buy a cross grade license for the Mac.

Your 5D should have come with Mac software too. Although, iPhoto, Aperture and Photoshop CS4 will all open you 5D RAW files.

Welcome to the Mac, you''ll never go back! ;-)
11/22/2009 08:59:33 PM · #3
Thanks!!! It's day and night...... :)....ace
11/22/2009 09:00:05 PM · #4
I've used Photoshop on Mac and PC, it was CS2 at the time I was switching over and I always found it to run way better on the Mac than PC.

Like ' . substr('//www.dpchallenge.com/images/user_icon/21.gif', strrpos('//www.dpchallenge.com/images/user_icon/21.gif', '/') + 1) . ' scarbrd says, Aperture is not an editing program, it's workflow, but it does RAW adjustments and batch adjustments very well. I would be careful about getting too involved with Aperture though, Apple has been very quiet about it's future, no mention of a version 3 which is well overdue and at the same time Adobe is pushing on improving Lightroom.

I currently have my whole library in Aperture and I'm going to be really upset if Apple declare it end of life and I have to shift everything!

Message edited by author 2009-11-22 21:00:26.
11/22/2009 09:04:33 PM · #5
Hey Ace, did you by any chance get the 27" one? If yes, tell me your first impressions about the monitor! Thanks
11/22/2009 09:20:05 PM · #6
Well, I use Aperture for all my editing, too. It is nondestructive editing, and the Nik suite of plugins for it is super. If you want to do composites and layer stuff, it is not the tool, but retouching, and lots of editing is possible.

That said, Apple has been quiet about it, but they are quiet about Everything. I read that their Aperture team is larger than ever, and the rumor-mill has them working on a release that will take advantage of the multiprocessor features of Snow Leopard. Lightroom and Aperture pretty much compete with each other, so Apple is about due to release an upgrade, especially after the Snow Leopard release. But if you already use Lightroom, just get the codes to install/use it on your mac.
11/22/2009 09:25:48 PM · #7
Originally posted by Zigomar:

Hey Ace, did you by any chance get the 27" one? If yes, tell me your first impressions about the monitor! Thanks

We have a 27" at my office, and the monitor is nothing short of incredible.
11/22/2009 09:53:35 PM · #8
Went with the 21", the 27" is to big for my work area....but very cool. That gives me another question. Do I need calibrate the monitor/system? I had spyder 2 on the laptop.
11/22/2009 10:35:14 PM · #9
Yes you do. An iMac will be far too bright by default.
11/22/2009 10:54:10 PM · #10
Do you have any suggestions on a program to calibrate the monitor? Looks like they came out with spyder 3. I think there is others out there too.

Originally posted by scalvert:

Yes you do. An iMac will be far too bright by default.
11/22/2009 10:54:54 PM · #11
I got the 27in a few days ago. I did not calibrate it, but I did turn down the brightness..... not sure if that is enough...
I love it so far!
11/22/2009 11:01:21 PM · #12
You can actually get pretty close by eyeballing it with Apple's calibration tool (the color tab in your Display preferences). Beyond that, your Spyder 2 should work fine with up to date software.
11/22/2009 11:07:20 PM · #13
Really appreciate the help. One last question for tonight. What display profile do you use?

Originally posted by scalvert:

You can actually get pretty close by eyeballing it with Apple's calibration tool (the color tab in your Display preferences). Beyond that, your Spyder 2 should work fine with up to date software.
11/23/2009 12:32:10 AM · #14
I use a custom profile from a Gretag-Macbeth i1 hardware calibrator.
11/23/2009 01:45:04 PM · #15
A little update on window programs to mac programs. To transfer the windows cs3 to mac, I had to upgrade to cs4 mac. (I thought I had already up graded, nope). They have to send me the disc package, unable to down load the up grade transfer from adobe site. The cost was only the up grade price of $199. If I'd already had cs4 for window, I would only had to pay shipping.

I'm working on Photomatix and Topaz adjust. I'll up date you on any cost to switch it from windows to mac programs
11/23/2009 09:14:25 PM · #16
Update on Topaz adjust; all you have to do is go to the site and down load the Mac version using your original cert. key code........one more to go.

Originally posted by ace flyman:

A little update on window programs to mac programs. To transfer the windows cs3 to mac, I had to upgrade to cs4 mac. (I thought I had already up graded, nope). They have to send me the disc package, unable to down load the up grade transfer from adobe site. The cost was only the up grade price of $199. If I'd already had cs4 for window, I would only had to pay shipping.

I'm working on Photomatix and Topaz adjust. I'll up date you on any cost to switch it from windows to mac programs
11/26/2009 12:42:03 PM · #17
Last update; Photomatix; Just had to down load the trail version then use the orig. key purchased under windows. So the total cost of changing my programs from windows to Mac was the cost of the upgrade to cs4.

Originally posted by ace flyman:

Update on Topaz adjust; all you have to do is go to the site and down load the Mac version using your original cert. key code........one more to go.

Originally posted by ace flyman:

A little update on window programs to mac programs. To transfer the windows cs3 to mac, I had to upgrade to cs4 mac. (I thought I had already up graded, nope). They have to send me the disc package, unable to down load the up grade transfer from adobe site. The cost was only the up grade price of $199. If I'd already had cs4 for window, I would only had to pay shipping.

I'm working on Photomatix and Topaz adjust. I'll up date you on any cost to switch it from windows to mac programs
Pages:  
Current Server Time: 05/30/2020 05:19:02 AM

Please log in or register to post to the forums.


Home - Challenges - Community - League - Photos - Cameras - Lenses - Learn - Prints! - Help - Terms of Use - Privacy - Top ^
DPChallenge, and website content and design, Copyright © 2001-2020 Challenging Technologies, LLC.
All digital photo copyrights belong to the photographers and may not be used without permission.
Proudly hosted by Sargasso Networks. Current Server Time: 05/30/2020 05:19:02 AM EDT.