DPChallenge: A Digital Photography Contest You are not logged in. (log in or register
 

DPChallenge Forums >> Current Challenge >> Personified Smiles and Frowns
Pages:  
Showing posts 1 - 18 of 18, (reverse)
AuthorThread
01/11/2010 09:03:51 AM · #1
It's funny that this showed up as the challenge topic today... I was just thinking about this as a challenge suggestion last night as I was watching TV. If you want some inspiration for the challenge, watch this American Express commercial.
01/11/2010 09:05:32 AM · #2
It was suggested here:

//www.dpchallenge.com/forum.php?action=read&FORUM_THREAD_ID=954224
01/11/2010 09:12:14 AM · #3
Originally posted by alanfreed:

It's funny that this showed up as the challenge topic today... I was just thinking about this as a challenge suggestion last night as I was watching TV. If you want some inspiration for the challenge, watch this American Express commercial.


I was thinking the same thing last night after seeing the same commercial. Funny stuff.
01/11/2010 10:56:23 AM · #4
Here's an Audi commercial featuring "faces":

//www.youtube.com/watch?v=9l-HAFm7TPo&NR=1

R.
01/11/2010 11:06:05 AM · #5
I have an issue with seeing faces in fabric - usually curtains, and on flat painted walls n stuff. Freaks me out so I try not to look at them too hard! Now I find myself vieweing my surrounding trying to find faces that will translate into photo well.

When I was little we had these curtains with huge green & purple flowers on (not as garish as it sounds honest!) and there was a goblin face in one of them. Scary little bugger! One of those things that takes a while to see though so not something that would work in this challenge
01/11/2010 05:30:43 PM · #6
Awesome... My suggestion got chosen! Now I have to come up with something. I think this will be a really fun and unique challenge. Good luck everyone
01/11/2010 05:38:28 PM · #7
There have been a lot of other suggestions for this with other names, even though there have been challenges with this topic.
01/11/2010 05:59:10 PM · #8
Originally posted by Starbanana:

I have an issue with seeing faces in fabric - usually curtains, and on flat painted walls n stuff. Freaks me out so I try not to look at them too hard! Now I find myself vieweing my surrounding trying to find faces that will translate into photo well.

When I was little we had these curtains with huge green & purple flowers on (not as garish as it sounds honest!) and there was a goblin face in one of them. Scary little bugger! One of those things that takes a while to see though so not something that would work in this challenge


This phenomenon is called pareidolia. (I used to have a clock the same as in the picture gallery there.)
01/11/2010 06:02:31 PM · #9
Originally posted by Pug-H:

This phenomenon is called pareidolia. (I used to have a clock the same as in the picture gallery there.)

That was the name of my first and last challenge suggestion. Obviously "pareidolia" didn't make any people go "oh!" so it was completely ignored. I guess this title is more obvious, though it leaves out o_O and :| and >:[
01/11/2010 06:19:54 PM · #10
Originally posted by Pug-H:

This phenomenon is called pareidolia. (I used to have a clock the same as in the picture gallery there.)


OooooOOoo interesting. Funky clock, although the false wood pic next to it scared me! lol
01/12/2010 12:14:09 PM · #11
I'm already a distracted driver just looking for interesting landscapes to photograph. Now I'm going to be looking for potential smiles and frowns. Maybe I'd be safer not to try and find a subject for this one :) or is it :(

Message edited by author 2010-01-12 12:14:38.
01/15/2010 11:48:31 AM · #12
Is one allowed to arrange inanimate objects in such a way that they represent a smile or a frown like for instance a banana and 2 strawberries to form a smiling face or must it be a naturally occurring smile or frown such as a door with letterbox as a face with frown for instance?

"Represent a smile or frown using only inanimate objects."
01/16/2010 02:39:40 AM · #13
Originally posted by ThingFish:

Is one allowed to arrange inanimate objects in such a way that they represent a smile or a frown like for instance a banana and 2 strawberries to form a smiling face or must it be a naturally occurring smile or frown such as a door with letterbox as a face with frown for instance?

"Represent a smile or frown using only inanimate objects."


I had the same question. My first thought was to construct something out of painting materials (a paintbrush for the nose/mustach), but then I found something "natural". This will be a low scorer for me anyway.
01/16/2010 04:46:04 AM · #14
Originally posted by ThingFish:

Is one allowed to arrange inanimate objects in such a way that they represent a smile or a frown like for instance a banana and 2 strawberries to form a smiling face or must it be a naturally occurring smile or frown such as a door with letterbox as a face with frown for instance?

"Represent a smile or frown using only inanimate objects."


A banana and 2 strawberries hunh, ok as long as we are talking faces......;p
01/17/2010 03:41:28 PM · #15
Well, I am in...saw it and just could not resist:-)
01/17/2010 04:01:49 PM · #16
So if it's not quite a smile or a frown do you think it will get voted down?
01/17/2010 04:06:03 PM · #17
Originally posted by KarenNfld:

So if it's not quite a smile or a frown do you think it will get voted down?


How long have you been here at DPC? ;)

Message edited by author 2010-01-17 16:06:10.
01/17/2010 06:32:34 PM · #18
Originally posted by nshapiro:

Originally posted by KarenNfld:

So if it's not quite a smile or a frown do you think it will get voted down?


How long have you been here at DPC? ;)


Haha!
Pages:  
Current Server Time: 06/18/2021 07:39:37 AM

Please log in or register to post to the forums.


Home - Challenges - Community - League - Photos - Cameras - Lenses - Learn - Prints! - Help - Terms of Use - Privacy - Top ^
DPChallenge, and website content and design, Copyright © 2001-2021 Challenging Technologies, LLC.
All digital photo copyrights belong to the photographers and may not be used without permission.
Proudly hosted by Sargasso Networks. Current Server Time: 06/18/2021 07:39:37 AM EDT.